PDA

View Full Version : Got the PH musketoon today

charger 1
11-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Man I remember now just how neat these little friggers are. This one is pretty clean except for some scratches on the left side......OH WELL:(....But what I would like to find is the pin-chain-cap that attatches to the front of the trigger gaurd to protect nipple. A spare nipple, and just a basic nipple wrench. Be nice to find em in the same place rather than multi shipping charges. Boy the gun itself is pretty light. I can see where as that heavy 577611 lyman with 80 +or- is goin to rock my world.. Appreciate any leads on where to pick up all parts

Buckshot
11-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Boy the gun itself is pretty light. I can see where as that heavy 577611 lyman with 80 +or- is goin to rock my world.. Appreciate any leads on where to pick up all parts

...............Ha!, you and your detached retina's shoudl have a blast! ABout the other stuff, it's out there and not very expensive. Don't know about finding them both together though. For the cone protector, check with the guys over at:

http://pub182.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums

They can steer ya in the right direction.

..............Buckshot

shooter575
11-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Here are a couple guys to try.I have dealt with both,good people to deal with.

http://www.lodgewood.com/default.htm

http://www.ssfirearms.com/Gun%20parts1.htm

The nipple or more properly called a cone is 1/4 " across the flats.A open end wrench
will work just fine.Another wrench I have used is a 4 way faucet shut of.One of ends has
same 1/4 square hole.
I will bet that your best accuracy in thst musketoon will be with 45-50 gr.Be easyer on
yer shoulder also.

mooman76
11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't know exactly what you are talking about with the pin chain thingie but dixiegunworks has allot of stuff so if you can't find it there, I don't know where you would go. Good luck none the less. I know they would have hte other stuff!

charger 1
11-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey I think my nipple wrench will be some useless 1/4" drive metric size socket with a tee welded a top

Baron von Trollwhack
11-10-2007, 08:57 AM
The 1st gen. PH I had carried a 1/48 twist barrel and shot a standard design minie well with about a 45 grain charge of 3f. Sights were crummy though, requiring a new dovetailed higher front for windage and basic elevation zero, and then tinkering with the rear to get 50/100 zeros on the elevation slide. Same advice as other minie guns, 1 1/2 thousandths clearance or less for the ball well cast of lead, soft lube, tapped lightly to seat, and search for best charge in 2 or 3 grain increments. BvT

macvcallsign
11-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Shooter 575 gave you two very good references for parts and accessories for your PH. I have owned and shot a 1st gen muskatoon for over 20 yrs. Shoots 2" groups at 50 yds and 4" groups at 100 yds. with the orig barrel. I use the Lyman 575213 with 42 grs of 3f for target work. For a hunting load 70 grs should be all you need. Much more than that and you may not get complete burn before the minie leaves the barrel.

Now have a Bill Large barrel that shoots a 575495-315 gr slug with 37 grs of 3f and better groups than the big 575213 did.

Will need some sight work-taller front sight, and put a square notch on the rear for open sights or work in a peep in the base of the ladder if you prefer that. I suppose you could also tape and drill the breech area for a more modern sight too??

Anyway, good luck and have fun!!!

shooter575
11-11-2007, 02:11 AM
In helping out fellow skirmishers set up their rifled muskets or musketoons over the years I have found out that .100 is about what the average one need added to front sight to print @ 50 yd. On the enfields the sights bases are soldered on with the highest damm melting temp
silver solder I have ever seen.By the time it will come off you could make a "Shermans bow tie" with it,
So with them I just file the little front blade off flush with the base and cut a new slot about 1/2 way through.Then soft solder in a new taller blade.I like a wide one ..080. This can be done without messing up the blueing if you are good at soldering.
On any of the springfield based models I have been converted on using a dovetailed front sight [aka Bobby Hoyts] Makes sighting in a whole lot easyer.
I have two of Bill Larges barrels,both in .69.And a Jerry Harmon tube.He did breech Larges barrels for years then switched using another Ohio guy after he passed away.
macvcallsign ,BaronVT. Glad you boys are here.I got tired of posting good musket lube and .001-.002 under bore size

JeffinNZ
11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Saw some nice Minies going down range yesterday at our monthly ML shoot. I was standing behind the second detail and the guy on my extreme right was shooting a .58 and from my peripheral vision I was picking up 'little' silver flashes.

Hellgate
01-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Charger,
My 'Toon is my favorite .58 cal rifle and I have 4. I too, use the 577611 minie as my hunting bullet with 90grs FFg. When working up your load from the bench, put a sand bag against your shoulder to rest the rifle butt on and you can shoot all day without developing a flinch from heavy loads. If & when you are shooting at a deer or elk you wont feel a thing. Those guns are light and nice to carry in the woods.

charger 1
01-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Charger,
My 'Toon is my favorite .58 cal rifle and I have 4. I too, use the 577611 minie as my hunting bullet with 90grs FFg. When working up your load from the bench, put a sand bag against your shoulder to rest the rifle butt on and you can shoot all day without developing a flinch from heavy loads. If & when you are shooting at a deer or elk you wont feel a thing. Those guns are light and nice to carry in the woods.

Whats yer accuracy with 90 grains?