PDA

View Full Version : JB bore cleaner

soldierbilly1
10-31-2013, 06:11 AM
I have about 6K rounds through my 45, nearly all boolits. OK, time for some deep cleaning. I started using JB and kept getting some dark streaks on my patch. Barrel is reasonably clean, very little lead left in bore. So, if this is the case, What am I looking at?
billy boy

Sig
10-31-2013, 06:20 AM
My guess is lead. I wrap an old brush with either bronze wool or strands from a copper choreboy soaked in Ed's red to get the lead out. Then I proceed to using a patch.

ElDorado
10-31-2013, 06:47 AM
No matter how clean your bore is, JB will always bring out black on the patch. I believe this is similar to polishing brass with brasso. The polishing cloth is always black. I think JB is just a polish and everybody thinks they're getting unseen crud out of their barrels. I'll bet Flitz with do the same thing.

Do just like the directions tell you. Run a tight patch with JB through the bore 9 or 10 times, then clean it out with oil or bore cleaner and dry patches. If there is still fouling, try it again.

Hickory
10-31-2013, 06:49 AM
J-B will react to barrel steel causing black streaks.
I use J-B in my varmint rifles occasionally, and use it to remove stubborn fouling.

btroj
10-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Nothing to worry about.

I must ask, why are you using JB to "deep clean" after shooting nothing but cast? A half dozen solvent soaked patches, a dry one, look thru bore to spot any leading, brush out leading if present, a couple more wet patches, dry bore, reassemble. Done.

If you have lead in the bore them a brush with a bit of 4-O steel wool will remove it right away, only a couple strokes needed most of the time. Much faster than JB.

If you are seeing a silver colored wash on the lands then you have some antimony wash, it harms little. I wouldn't waster the time or energy to scrub it out.

soldierbilly1
10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Sounds like whatever it is, patch staining, lead, antimony ... it doesn't matter. that is, as long as I get the lead out.
Excessive cleaning at this point is probably meaningless.
I'll go clean my garage now.

billy boy

runfiverun
10-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I probably wouldn't have bothered cleaning it, maybe clean out the internals and re-oil.
but I doubt I would have cleaned the barrel beyond a patch, unless I seen no rifling or something.