PDA

View Full Version : Blackpowder question

pearcetopher
10-31-2013, 01:36 AM
Hi guys

I've bought the traditions blackpowder shooters kit

For the powder measure it is incriminated 10 grains to 120 grains

My question is can this measure be used for fffg as well ffg like it's intended ?

I know it's for a rifle but I also have a cap and ball revolver I'd like to use it for

Thankyou in advance

Chris

Rattus58
10-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Hi guys

I've bought the traditions blackpowder shooters kit

For the powder measure it is incriminated 10 grains to 120 grains

My question is can this measure be used for fffg as well ffg like it's intended ?

I know it's for a rifle but I also have a cap and ball revolver I'd like to use it for

Thankyou in advance

Chris
yes... in a word... :grin::cool:

GunSlingerNM
10-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes it will work but kinda hard to measure for 12gr, 17 gr, you get the idea.

Rattus58
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Yes it will work but kinda hard to measure for 12gr, 17 gr, you get the idea.Isn't that a little more than 10 and a little less than 20... :D :cool:

Omnivore
10-31-2013, 05:59 PM
"...incriminated 10 grains to 120 grains"

If the incriminations are indicated directly on the measure, we could say that it's self-incriminating.

Anyway, sure it'll work, but the issue you may find will be the diameter of the measure. For a revolver you'll probably want something smaller, so it's easier to pour into the little chambers close to the frame.

I tend to use a powder scale to verify the measure's increments, weighing real black powder to see how close it comes to the indicated charge weight. You'll find that one powder measure often disagrees a little bit with another. If it's indications are very off, it is indeed self-incriminating even if there is the 5th amendment protection against that sort of thing :)

And as I recall, and although I haven't tried it, some people on here have measured the weight of 2F verses 3F from the same measure and it's not enough of a difference in density to be particularly important. Also; charge weights from the same measure will vary from one or two to several grains, from throw to throw, depending on how it's poured into the measure, or leveled off at the top, etc.

Rattus58
10-31-2013, 07:34 PM
If the incriminations are indicated directly on the measure, we could say that it's self-incriminating.

Anyway, sure it'll work, but the issue you may find will be the diameter of the measure. For a revolver you'll probably want something smaller, so it's easier to pour into the little chambers close to the frame.

I tend to use a powder scale to verify the measure's increments, weighing real black powder to see how close it comes to the indicated charge weight. You'll find that one powder measure often disagrees a little bit with another. If it's indications are very off, it is indeed self-incriminating even if there is the 5th amendment protection against that sort of thing :)

And as I recall, and although I haven't tried it, some people on here have measured the weight of 2F verses 3F from the same measure and it's not enough of a difference in density to be particularly important. Also; charge weights from the same measure will vary from one or two to several grains, from throw to throw, depending on how it's poured into the measure, or leveled off at the top, etc.Hahaha... :D

mooman76
10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
If it's like one of mine even though it is marked in 10s, it should have a half way mark in between for 5s.

45 Bravo
11-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Um, black powder should almost ALWAYS be measured by volume, regardless of the granulation..(FF,FFF, FFFF)
Not by weight..

rodwha
11-01-2013, 11:14 PM
My measure is similar. It has a built in funnel which is still not great for loading pistols so I cut a .270 Win case to make a funnel. Works great! But I measure powder charges in ~5 grn increments. But that's not a big deal to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I buy an 1858.

Rattus58
11-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Um, black powder should ALWAYS be measured by volume, regardless of the granulation..(FF,FFF, FFFF)
Never by weight..Well never by weight if you're using the substitute and replica black powders at at least until you have taken a volume charge of the replica and weighed that first!

cajun shooter
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
45 Bravo, I see you are a new member and i welcome you to the Cast Boolits Forum.
I will now have to say that you may need to do some reading of the many postings that have been posted on this subject.
They have many good books on the subject. Go to a BPCR match and see if any of the shooters that are reloading any cases on site are just taking a container of any size and just dumping it into the case. Look on any original box of BP ammo and see what is written there.
You will not even find a cannon shooter who just pours in a 5 lb scoop. It will be a measured charge that has been determined from previous practice.
Later Fairshake

45 Bravo
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi Cajun, Yes I am relatively new to the forum, but have been shooting Black powder since the late 70's.
And have read many books, and am still learning.
I used to shoot black powder competition, yes I still weigh my charges too.

But the OP was about someone who just bought a new rifle, and powder measure and had questions.

I would not suggest a by weight charge for new shooters until they become more familiar with the properties of black powder.

Dropping a 120gr by weight charge of 3f into a Traditions sidelock is not something I would suggest to ANYONE.

Yes you get your most consistent charges by weight, but for most shooters, volume measures get you close, you then tinker with the best powder/ball/patch combination that is most accurate in your rifle, by that time you have found that Max charges are not the most accurate.

I know YOU know that already, but from the Op, i take it that he is very new to the sport, and i just suggest the SAFEST way for him to proceed and enjoy this hobby.

I don't shoot black powder cartridge competition, I still use front stuffers..
As to a cannon reference, He is talking about his rifle and a revolver. so that does not apply here.

"I don't know if those newfangled brass cartridge thingys will ever catch on, I think they are just a flash in the pan.."

Proud shooter of 2 flintlocks, 5 cap popper rifles, and 6 Cap & Ball revolvers.