PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Cast then Jacketed question in 30/30

jh45gun
11-08-2007, 10:23 PM
OK I know it is best to shoot cast out of a clean barrel with no jacket fouling. So how about the other way around shooting cast then jacketed? I have loaded up some 311407 sized to .309 to shoot in my 30/30 with a load of 17 grains of 2400. I have shot this load previously. However I do have a box and a half of handloaded jacketed (170 grain and 34.8 grains of 748 2100 fps) I would like to shoot for deer season. I would like to shoot the cast then shoot the jacketed to see what difference there is on how they shoot with out changing the sights. So is shooting cast then jacketed ok as far as accuracy for the jacketed goes as long as there is no or little lead fouling??? Yea I know the cast will kill deer I have shot a buck and a doe using cast with my 308 in my Encore Pistol. The last time I shot at 25 yards with my 30/30 with this cast load I was not entirely satisfied with the accuracy using my peep sight but then I think I need to adjust the sight some more. It could be I may need to go to 16 grains for a more accurate load.

felix
11-08-2007, 10:34 PM
It depends on the amount of trash remaining in the barrel left over from the previous run, be it either condom or non-condom, before or aft. If the grooves look clean in the crevices, then either works ok, meaning there is no difference worth talking about. No, we are not talking about a BR barrel here. ... felix

wmitty
11-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I have done this in the past; it took a few rounds of jacketed ammo to get decent accuracy but it worked o.k.

jh45gun
11-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks Felix and Wmitty for the replys.

44man
11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I do it all the time but have read forever that lead will stick to copper left in the bore. It's the way I have always done it and cleaned out the copper first. I never tried the reverse. I wish I had a bore scope so I could see if it is really true. I have often wondered if the copper will fill the tool marks in a bore to smooth the cast boolits path.
How many here have actuall tested this?

jonk
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I do it all the time. Both ways. I haven't noticed any appreciable problem.

OLPDon
11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
What I have done in past shooting 9mm and 45 after shooting lead for awhile, was reload a condom inverted (base facing out) shoot a few of them, and it scraped out the lead. It doesn't replace a good cleaning but if for some reason at the range if I had a buildup of lead it was a quick fix. No need to go to home or call it the day for that pistol.
Don

Blackhawk Convertable
11-10-2007, 10:22 PM
The copper will drive the lead into the pores of the rifling. Much tougher to clean the lead out once that has been done.

jh45gun
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Shot today and at 25 yards I was getting half inch groups with my load of 17 grain of 2400 and my 311407 bullets. I shot ONE condom bullet just to see how much higher it shot than my cast loads it shot about 3 inches higher. Gonna keep the condom bullets home and just shoot the cast. I have shot two deer a buck and a doe with cast bullets in my 308 Encore so I know what the bullets will do.