PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits - What Accuracy Do You Get?

rsterne
10-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm relative new to casting boolits, but not new to shooting.... I'm really curious as to what you consider normal accuracy.... ie what are you happy with and figure there really isn't much more to be had?.... MOA, of course, means "Minute of Angle" accuracy, which is about 1" groups at 100 yards (1/2" center to center at 50 yards).... Please be honest, don't put what you WISH your bullets could shoot, but what they actually DO.... We're talking rifles here, not pistols....

EDIT: I just noticed the last choice in the Poll is "Over 5 MOA", and I meant to say "Over 4 MOA".... so if there are any of you that expect 4-5 MOA, please select that choice.... *grin*....

Bob

Wolfer
10-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Sometimes it takes a little tinkering but I can usually get as good or close to as with jacketed, albeit at much less velocity. I have one old pump Remington that will shoot cast better than jacketed unless I slow the jacketed way down.

When I first started casting for rifles I used normal powders. Results were not that great. One day I happen to read an article by Ed Harris about the load( 16 grs of 2400) Since I had a jug of 2400 in the shed I give it a try. Now it's virtually all I shoot. 16 grs is rarely my best load but it's always pretty good.

I always recommend new casters start with this powder before they go to your normal rifle powders. That way you have a baseline to compare to.

Velocity will top out with this powder at 1700/1800. Accuracy will start to fall off thereabouts. The first year I hadn't worked up any faster loads so I just hunted with what I had. They worked so well on deer that I never changed. Woody

fouronesix
10-30-2013, 06:23 PM
No way to answer the poll because I shoot so many different ones.

But, it's a bad day when I can't better MOA with my C Sharps- knowing it's capable of 1/4-1/2 MOA on any given day. Conversely, it's perfectly normal and I'm very happy to shoot a nice circular cluster of maybe 2-3 MOA with a 150+ year old original musket that was originally not expected shoot anywhere near that well.

btroj
10-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Depends. I expect MOA from an MOA rifle, less from a lesser rifle.

It is all about perspective.

Driver man
10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Im quite happy with 3MOA, a well placed shot brings home the meat at 100m. Ive only ever lost 1 red over the years.Still dont know why.Sometimes a load will show better accuracy than others and sometimes you will be able to duplicate it. The quest begins

williamwaco
10-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Since you don't mention what caliber or firearm, I am assuming hunting rifle with scope.

That would be .75 to 1.75" at 100 yards.

NOTE: That is only with carefully worked up loads.

Just throw anything together and shoot it at 100 yards and you will be lucky to get 6"

My record BAD group is three shots in 38".

shooter93
10-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Depends a lot on what you want the gun to do or what you use it for. Offhand practice as an example....it has to shoot as well as I can. I also like to see 10 shot groups on demand....not 3 shots or an ocassional great group...I don't think they really tell me the accuracy of the gun and load.

MarkP
10-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Some of my rifles shoot cast just as well if not better than jacketed. Scoped bolt guns generally shoot 1.5 MOA pretty consistently. My worst group from a scoped rifle was about 7" at 80 yds; 247 gr 30 cal in a 1:12 twist @2,600 fps. Have had several pinky finger nail sized groups at the same distance.

dragon813gt
10-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Since I just posted this yesterday. This is what I consider a good start to load development.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/C1937411-9796-4D7E-ACBD-539E066647BD-34896-00002028845E547B_zpsb8c28440.jpg

Savage 99 in 300 Savage at 50 yards. This was the best grouping. There were a few other loads that put all shots w/in 3". This rifle will shoot close to MOA w/ jacketed if you do your part. Now if we were talking my 357 Marlin w/ open sights the acceptable grouping is a lot different.

paul h
10-30-2013, 09:21 PM
My goal is 2 moa for rifle or handgun, if the gun is up to it and I can do my part. I've found that to be a fairly reasonable goal. Doesn't happen every time, but more often than not it is achieveable with a good gun. I've only shot moa with a rifle once. I'm simply not willing to go into the extreme testing and incantations I percieve necesary to chase moa or better with cast bullets. I cast from multi cavity molds, do a visual inspection, lube size then load and shoot.

Larry Gibson
10-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I did not vote. "Accuracy" depends on an established criteria which is not present in the OPs question. As mentioned it depends on the firearm and intended use. Accuracy also depends on a relevant test sample which is lacking in 3 or 5 shot groups or even 1 shot groups which some seem to use as their "accuracy" criteria.

Larry Gibson

Pakprotector
10-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I have gotten MOA at 100 for several sets of 8-shot groups with my Benjamin Marauder, shooting 25 auto boolits from an RCBS mold. The mold could be better, and at the time I was pretty darned green( matter of definition, pick one and I'll say just how green I still am ). I expect that sort of performance from my air rifles, and I am not all that brilliant of a shot. Well, that may be sand bagging a bit, I pulled 232 of 250, in USMC Boot.
cheers,
Douglas

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Ask Ben.

Bill

KYCaster
10-31-2013, 12:43 AM
I've been looking for an excuse to tell this........

It got a little frosty here last week so I put on a heavy coat when I headed out to the shop....an ancient woodland camo field jacket I normally wear deer hunting. Stuck my hand in the pocket and found a baggie with two 35 Rem. rounds in it. So I sez to myself....The last shot out of that gun killed a doe last November.....season starts soon, so it's about time to shoot a couple of rounds to make sure everything's ready.

I tacked up a target at 100 yds.....a NRA "Official 50 ft. Timed and Rapid Fire Pistol Target". The first round took out the letter "X"....the second was an 8 at 5:00.

So two rounds in 1.75". That's typical for 5 shot groups from this gun....., but.....it took three years to find a load that would put the first round in the group, on demand, day in and day out, from 0* F to 105* F.

I have guns that will shoot smaller groups, but if something absolutely has to die....this is the gun and load I will pick.

This doesn't really fit into your poll, but it gives you some idea of what I look for in a particular load.

BTW....After I put the gun in the safe I looked for my stash of hunting ammo and found that I had just shot the last two rounds I had.....no problem......I always have plenty of RCBS-200-FP. Well....wrong alloy...wrong lube....wrong diameter. I almost had a panic attack! Ran to the shop and fired up the pot.....wrong alloy.....drained the 92-6-2 and filled it with 50 WW/50 Pb and cast a hundred or so 35's, a couple hundred 429421's and a bunch of 312-155-2R.

So now I have the 35's sized to .358, lubed with Bull Shop Speed Green, with a Gator Check from Blammer and ten rounds loaded with 34.5 gr. of IMR3031, a WLR primer, at an OAL of 2.510. I'll shoot these for group tomorrow and if they perform as expected, I'll load enough to last (probably) the rest of my life.

Life is good!
Jerry

waksupi
10-31-2013, 01:09 AM
If I have a rifle that won't consistently shoot under 1.5" at 100 yards, it doesn't stay here long.

geargnasher
10-31-2013, 01:30 AM
If I have a rifle that won't consistently shoot under 1.5" at 100 yards, it doesn't stay here long.

Exactly. I EXPECT I can make any decent rifle group into less than 1 MOA at any range. If not, it gets fixed, traded, or sold.

I EXPECT I can see well enough to shoot only about 2MOA every time with good open sights, and if I haven't had too much coffee can hold well enough to repeatedly group half MOA from a good bench with good bags with a scope and a rifle/load that's capable of slightly less. That means I need a quality scope to meet my accuracy expectations from a rifle, but not all my rifles have scopes. I still expect sub MOA accuracy even if I can't see well enough to realize it because if it's a 2 MOA gun and a 2 MOA sighting system, what I have isn't a 2 MOA consistent system.

I've cut a lot of 3/8" holes with three shots that turned into 2-1/2" or larger ten-shot groups. Consistency is everything. I demand that the RIFLE maintain my accuracy standard for a minimum of ten consecutive shots, starting cold, in any weather I'm likely to be shooting in. That's up to me as a cast boolit handloader to achieve, and as a cast boolit handloader to determine if possible for the rifle.

If I spent half as much time working on my bench technique and weather-reading skills as I do fussing with the rifle/ammunition, I'd be a pretty good shot.

Gear

btroj
10-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Gear, isn't that the truth about learning to shoot from a bench and read the wind and light. No matter how good the rifle or ammo a poor shooter is still a poor shooter.

Accuracy demands are what we make of them. If I am hunting deer at 100 yards with my Marlin 30-30 do I care if it shoots only 3 inch groups at 100? Most likely not. Same rifle being used for lever action silhouette- I care far more about accuracy because the demands have changed.

44man
10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Hard to comment since I shoot mostly revolvers and have done 1/2 minute at 100 too many times. Still working on a 30-30 I bought. I don't intend to hunt with it but really want small groups for the heck of it. No reason cast can't shoot, just takes more work. I am a beginner with a rifle but long ago I shot chucks in the head at 100 yards with a model 71, .348 and cast, shot 3/4" with a Marlin 25 20 at 100 with cast. Open sights for both. Had to sell them. BIG MISTAKE!
I wonder if new rifles are cast friendly? I also need your help with my Marlin 30-30.

DeanWinchester
10-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Ask Ben.

Bill

Dang right, ask Ben!

Heres a random thread of his for the OP. Get back to us on it.....;)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209889-Range-Results-NOE-311331-PB

w0fms
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
I only do cast in pistols and really haven't taken the time to measure it. (I didn't vote). I have one anecdote though. Cast 9mm.. during the "pinch" (or at least the worst of the 9mm pinch) I went shooting with an old HS/College buddy of mine. He was astonished that my old gun was more accurate than his new SR9 was. And I mean significantly so.

I kept telling him he had the better gun, but I had a very consistent load worked out for my gun. We both shot my loads much more accurately than the factory. I didn't let him try my cast in his gun since I didn't have the ability to check the headspacing/chambering of the round, etc. on his gun in the short time I had. (It probably would have been fine but I don't screw around.) But I think he was "sold" on the idea at that point.

As long as you go with a little "softer" load than FMJ and about 0.001" larger diameter than FMJ cast in a pistol it can be very accurate.

Oh, and that I had no problems *having* ammo then. Since plated and FMJ pills were as rare as factory ammo.. I could still make my own! ;) I gave him a box of factory so he could shoot more with me...

Shiloh
10-31-2013, 05:25 PM
I shoot a Krag and an '03 springfield. Neither are target rifles. I have fired 50 rounds at a 100yd target and had most of them in a 3" circle.
The inner group is surrounded with scattered shots radiating outward.

Pistol rounds have had just over two inch groups at 25 yards from several firearms with other shots radiating outward.
I'm pleased with this.

Shiloh

209jones
11-05-2013, 03:17 PM
I always try to achieve 1moa, myself and the wind are the deciding factor usually. Breech seated bullets will do 10 shot groups in 1/2-3/4moa on a good day for me, at 200. Cartridge seated, I have had days that beat 1moa on 10 shots at 100 and 200, if I can do 1-1/2moa @ 100 and 200 consistently with a hunting rifle and a cast bullet, I am happy.

Smoke4320
11-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I might be a little extreme but my hunting rifles will not go to the woods if I can't get under 1 MOA
repeatable 3 shot groups
we do not have a lot of deer in my immediate area .. so If I see one I want it dead, not wounded, me not tracking it ect

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Any boltgun with a good barrel should make it to moa or a bit smaller at 100/200yds for 5 shots.

My only failure is my 550 Gibbs Magnum. 5-shot groups are 3.5-4moa. I think the load may be a bit excessive, 125gr of N160 and a 715gr cast RFN chrono's at 2090 fps +/-.

barrabruce
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
My beat up mongrel bread bitza banger I'll shoot 2 moa consistently and hold that.

I get better and expect a bit over 1 moa out of her for full loads and slow stuff as well.

Some times it comes easier than others.
Sometimes I'm barking up the wrong tree.
But I play and experiment and have "fun" and "enjoy myself" getting what I can and want it do do for me.
I can shoot j words out of it slightly more accurate if I ever care to or need to.

Like the benchrest shooter at the range said as he looked at my bullets " You're just shooting sinkers !!!" as I was wondering why mine don't go all into the same hole like his do.:) :) :)

TXGunNut
11-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I expect 2MOA or maybe a bit better after careful component selection and load development for some, but not all of my rifles. Some rifles haven't achieved that...yet, but that's part of the game. Only problem is on most days I'm not an MOA shooter so I quite likely have several rifles capable of MOA, just not with this loose nut behind the trigger and at the loading bench. As Larry pointed out it's difficult to answer this question with such broad parameters so I decided the operative word was "expect" and went with that.

35 shooter
11-09-2013, 11:34 PM
This is a trick question right? I'll go hunting with 1 to 2 min. of angle accuracy but prefer 1 to 1 1/2 inch or better.
Depending on rifle and action that can take a bit of doing.(For me at least)

Kraschenbirn
11-10-2013, 10:13 AM
All depends upon what rifle I'm shooting at the time. From my M700 .308 with its Burris optics, I've shot enough 1 1/2 MOA (10-shot) groups at 100M and 200M to expect no less but from one of my 'vintage' milsurps with issue sights, I might be really happy 4 MOA at the same distances.

Bill

osteodoc08
11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I expect to achieve 1-2 MOA on a consistent basis if the boolit is set up correctly for the gun and I do my part. Usually it is me that is the limiting factor.

I shoot for fun and for meat. 1-2 MOA is sufficient for both. That is my litmus test.

Doc Highwall
11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
As has been mentioned about not stating the parameters for the expected accuracy, I expect more from a heavy target rifle with lighter target loads then a hunting weight rifle with heavy hunting loads like my 458 Winchester magnum.

dverna
11-10-2013, 11:10 AM
MOA is not linear. A load that shoots 1/2" at 50 yards will not necessarily shoot into 1" at 100 or 3" at 300.

As others have noted, purpose is important. A .44 lever action for 125 yard deer hunting has a different criteria than a 200 gr bullet in a high velocity caliber for shots up to 300 yards. In fact, it may be easier to get 2 MOA at 125 (2.5") with a .44 than 2 MOA at 300 (6") with a .308.

And then you have velocity. The link to Ben's .30 test showed a great group at 1200 fps at 50 yards. Push that same bullet to 1800-2000 fps and things may change.

Some of us are thrilled with itsy-bitsy groups on paper and others need/want a load that achieves a certain minimum level of velocity and energy in addition to "acceptable" accuracy. For example, would you prefer a 1 MOA load that will not cycle your AR or a 2 MOA load that works every time?

Don Verna

rsterne
11-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to vote, and comment as well.... I got the answer I rather expected.... Roughly twice as many people voted for 1-2 MOA than all the rest of the choices combined, and the results are a nice bell-curve, which if you looked for the peak would probably be at about 1.6 MOA.... To me, that means that sub-2 MOA groups are realistic with cast boolits, and 1 MOA is achievable with the right gun / bullet combination.... Thanks again for participating....

Bob

popper
11-12-2013, 06:00 PM
rsterne - you got the answer you were wanting, you now have a good goal. I do feel this applies to bench/bag shooting, not field work. If you can do MOA unsupported standing - your better than me for sure.

rsterne
11-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Bench, I can't hold much better than about 6 MOA offhand unsupported (although in the 70's I could do about 3 MOA)....

Bob

noylj
11-13-2013, 03:24 AM
Accuracy? Usually under 2" at 25 yards for handguns. I guess that would be 8MOA, if not higher. For 7mm TCU, I get 1MOA. For .30-30 I get 3 MOA. For .30-06 I get around 2 MOA.

tygar
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I have gotten MOA at 100 for several sets of 8-shot groups with my Benjamin Marauder, shooting 25 auto boolits from an RCBS mold. The mold could be better, and at the time I was pretty darned green( matter of definition, pick one and I'll say just how green I still am ). I expect that sort of performance from my air rifles, and I am not all that brilliant of a shot. Well, that may be sand bagging a bit, I pulled 232 of 250, in USMC Boot.
cheers,
Douglas

Dam Marine, good, I only shot 229. What was worse was some sandbagger shot a 240, my 2nd hi in the series wasn't even close. lol plt 396, 1965

Used to be able to possible the positions but offhand sucked. Would frequently drop 10. Did do a 197 once in the 200 short course, with a dam AR.

I'm still trying to get this cast bullet stuff down. Only 1 gun so far can shoot 1moa at 50yds. Others 2-3" & all shoot moa at 100 consistently with jacket.

I have numerous rifles that shoot as well as 2" or better at 500 & 10" or better at 1000 but have not even tried them in CBs.

I've been trying the rifle powders since I don't have any 2400 yet. I have always used Unique or RedDot for target stuff & full cases of H110 for mags so been limited. Have a list of powder to get right in front of me;
2400, bludot IMR 4227, H4227, Power pistol, Acc#9 RX7, 5744, N130, 748, anything else I should get?

lol probably have 20+ lbs or pistol powder but its all Reddot & H110 with 1/2 can of Unique left & an easy 150+lbs of rifle but like 20# of RL15, 20 of RL 22, same in cases of H4831, 4350 etc etc.

I am going to try a 6.5-06 hunting rifle I had made for long range antelope/caribou the shoots 2" at 500 as soon as I get a die so I can put on the gas checks.

Any of you guys use 6.5s have recommendations for bullets. My rifles made to shoot 140s.

Thanks
Tom

Doc_Stihl
12-12-2013, 03:40 PM
With my hunting rifles I am not concerned as long as the groups are close to 2". A flier on the other hand is what really bothers me. If I shoot a 2" 5 shot group time and time again I'm happy. I don't try harder than that. If it shoots a 1" group for 4 shots but one lands 6" wide, that's a no go.

That being said. My ruger 30/06 has consistantly shoot 3 shot groups hovering right at 1".
My Remington 40x bench gun in 35 Remington has shot quite a few sub 3" 5 shot groups at 300. That's as good as I can make ammo and pull the trigger.

detox
12-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Using a 30 power target scope i have shot 1/4" groups. Lower powered scopes usually shoot wider for me.

For cast bullets from pistol with 2 power scope i strive for 2" or less at 50 yrds. I know a scope with higher manification would tighten groups to around 1".

Bigslug
12-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Pop and I pretty much perfected jacketed load technique - at least as far as NRA Highpower is concerned - back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Casting is the hobby of the last 6-7 years and we're still learning, but out of known jacketed tack-drivers, 2-4MOA seems to be our norm for cast.

01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Accuracy demands are what we make of them. If I am hunting deer at 100 yards with my Marlin 30-30 do I care if it shoots only 3 inch groups at 100? Most likely not. Same rifle being used for lever action silhouette- I care far more about accuracy because the demands have changed.
True and I think most of us chase better accuracy not because we need it but because it gives us more confidence.
My last deer was taken with a load/rifle combination that only shoots 5moa.
I also shoot lever action silhouette and have had the how much accuracy is needed discussion with a couple of the top shooters down here.
Really accuracy demands aren't that great, a rifle load combination that shoots 5moa won't leave a target standing but the shooter will and the more confidence the shooter has in their rifle/load the better they will shoot.
Last match I shot I didn't have enough of my regular boolits to load for a full match, ended up with a different combination for chicken that only shoots 4-5moa. Shot far better on chickens than anything else 19/20 with 17 straight was a PB for me yet the load is less than half as accurate as my regular loads.
I also shoot a bit of ISSF (Olympic bullseye pistol) again the accuracy demands aren't great, a pistol/load combination that shoots 7moa will shoot at perfect score, plenty of pistols will shoot a fraction of this yet no one has shot a perfect score.
I wouldn't take a 4moa rifle to a varmint shoot I have rifles that have proven themselves to consistently do 1/2moa or better at 300 with J-words but I think in a lot of situations we get hung up on accuracy that while nice to have isn't really needed for the situation.

white eagle
01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
big game rifle 1" m.o.a or less
varmint rifle .75 m.o.a or less
handgun m.o.deer at 100 yds open sights(reference 6-8")
now I am only shooting cast in two rifles, and if I happen to do as well with those rifles with cast as I do with jacketed fodder than I am ahead of the game it usually does not happen but I try
my loading technique for rifles has come around specific to cast so the odds of me attaining the above groupage with cast is looking bright

GabbyM
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
I voted under MOA but that's not shooting with any wind.

I have a couple rifles that will not shoot MOA with cast but they don't do it with jacketed bullets either.

Eddie2002
01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Still working out a load for 100yds but at 50yds I'm getting under 1MOA with a Remington 30-06 shooting a 100 grain cast bullet over 5.5 grains of Bullseye. The 100 yd group is a large egg shape with a lot of bullet drop from POA. I'm thinking that I need a heavier bullet to carry at 100 yds. The 50 yd load is a whole lot of fun which is the main reason I've worked it up.

44Blam
04-26-2019, 12:51 AM
I believe that with a proper workup, proper barrel, etc I believe that you can get sub MOA accuracy.
There is a range here that has a target at 870 yards (nearly 1/2 mile) and my goal is to shoot lead through my .308 to hit that sucker. Still thinking about it...

Ozark mike
04-26-2019, 01:02 AM
Sorry bud but I think this thread withered up a few years ago

lar45
04-26-2019, 09:54 AM
As long as its been brought back up...
here are a couple of my experiences. I have a 30-06 XCB rifle built by MBT Custom with a 14 twist Shillen barrel.
The following targets were shot from a clean cold bore. The first shot flyer was a little outside the group, but if you warmed it up first then you could get a much better overall group.
These targets were at 75 yds. That's as far as my home range goes to.
This one was the 160XCB bullet with 2500+ lube.
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/cblue/2500-309-02.jpg

This one was the 160XCB bullet with Carnauba Blue.
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/cblue/cblue-3006xcb-02.jpg

From my regular 30-06 mauser with a 10 twist, this was the Ranch Dog 165PB tumble lubed with 45-45-10
http://www.lsstuff.com/45-45-10/wc820-01.jpg

relic
04-26-2019, 11:10 AM
I would like for you guys to say what kind of sights you use on your guns when you shoot these good groups. I feel really embarrased at my groups compared to a lot of you guys. Im talking about shooting strictly cast out of Lever actions, either open sight or peep or express sights, no scopes. I load for 25-20, .357, .38 special, 30-30, .348Win,44-40, 45-70, all what I call target loads, a little below factory velocity. I try for 2-3 inchs at 50 yds, thats my goal. Im to old to hunt any more so I just shoot and cast and load for fun now.

waksupi
04-26-2019, 12:01 PM
I would like for you guys to say what kind of sights you use on your guns when you shoot these good groups. I feel really embarrased at my groups compared to a lot of you guys. Im talking about shooting strictly cast out of Lever actions, either open sight or peep or express sights, no scopes. I load for 25-20, .357, .38 special, 30-30, .348Win,44-40, 45-70, all what I call target loads, a little below factory velocity. I try for 2-3 inchs at 50 yds, thats my goal. Im to old to hunt any more so I just shoot and cast and load for fun now.

I prefer iron sights. At 100 yards, I expect 1.5" or less, even with my bad eyes. If a rifle won't shoot that well, they don't live here very long.

bmortell
04-26-2019, 12:29 PM
I don't think its possible to have bad eyes and shoot 1.5 at 100 with irons, lots of people couldn't even do that with jacketed and a 9x scope

sureYnot
04-26-2019, 12:53 PM
I don't think its possible to have bad eyes and shoot 1.5 at 100 with irons, lots of people couldn't even do that with jacketed and a 9x scopeWhen I was in junior high, my dad shot a couple fifty cents pieces at fifty yards with open sights to prove a point to one of my know-it-all teachers. (A character in a story we were reading made an impressive shot. Teacher immediately declared it impossible. I argued. He talked down to me.) Neither of us could see the coins at that distance. But, we knew where they were. Took three shots iirc. He missed once.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Ozark mike
04-26-2019, 01:58 PM
With open sights if I can't do 2 moa with rifle and 5 moa with pistol .5 with scoped rifles I have no use for em. I had a s&w .22 4in bbl that burned up in a fire a few years ago that was good to 3 moa never seen another like it since. My bfr is pretty good also need to do some more tinkering.my father had a c&b he regularly shot small game in the head with up to 75 yards. Amazing accuracy can be achieved with cast boolits I know there's some doubtful ppl out there all I can say is with a little experimenting good results can be had

lar45
04-26-2019, 03:07 PM
My 30-06XCB has a 6x24 scope on it. The regular 30-06 has a 3x9 scope on it.
My eyes are getting old and it's hard to keep the sights and the target in focus to shoot small groups with open sights any more.

Texas by God
04-27-2019, 12:27 AM
I’m ecstatic with 3 shot 2” groups at 100 yds and will hunt with it. Cast; iron sights or scope. Smaller groups are nice when they happen, though.

toallmy
04-27-2019, 06:14 AM
Off the bench with open / or peep Sights 3-4 inch at a 100 , but standing off hand ( probably ) in a paper plate at a 100 with cast boolits . To be honest I can't do much better with jacketed bullets open sight shooting .

waksupi
04-27-2019, 04:26 PM
I don't think its possible to have bad eyes and shoot 1.5 at 100 with irons, lots of people couldn't even do that with jacketed and a 9x scope

Come to my range, I'll show you groups with, and without glasses! :p
I agree some can't do it with a scope. I shot benchrest for a lot of years, know the proper technique for bagging and aim point to get those groups. Some just plain don't know how to shoot off of a benchrest.
We had a couple rifles sent back to the company over the years, claiming they couldn't do any better than 3" at 100 yards. All rifles were tested and HAD to shoot under an inch, or they didn't leave the shop.
We would re-shoot the rifles, send the rifle and target back to them, always within the 1" standards. Most of the rifles were big bore dangerous game rifles, and many just can't bear up to what is coming when they squeeze that trigger on the bench.
This is a target from a couple weeks ago, 1884 Trapdoor Springfield, 100 yards, just under 1.5". 240540

10 shots, 100 yards, .358 Win, aperture sights.

Ozark mike
04-27-2019, 06:58 PM
That's some good shooting may have to have you show me some pointers next time I'm in Kalispell. All my shooting has been self taught well besides the military which the instructor was a joke. Dad handed me a gun at a early age gave me a safety lesson and showed me what to do and put me in the woods

williamhemmings
04-27-2019, 08:30 PM
I just came into a whitworth rifle for those who don't know this was the most accurate rifle used on the civil war by the south. Made in England it shot a hex sided bullet put of a hex sided barrel (.451) nominal bullet weight 500+ gr. This muzzle loader had confirmed hits out past 1000 yds. If any one has any advise on the rifle I need all the help I can get. P.S. black powder only thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
04-27-2019, 09:00 PM
As long as my guns are capable of shooting better than i can thats all i want.

Prodigal Son
04-27-2019, 11:17 PM
240557Personally, for me the bigger the bore the better cast shoot! Ishoot 358, 368, and 376 and 412 and enjoy very good groups! The 412 will shoot 1" group @ 100 yards all day, three shots with my Westerfield 740 in 405 JESS 300 gr cast boolit around 1900 fps!

samari46
04-27-2019, 11:51 PM
I've been shooting a Finn model 27 that was made in 1935. Started with the lyman 314299 and never changed either the powder charge 20.0 4759, case Hansen Cartridge co, primer Win LR, and bullet lube. When my eyes cooperate I get about 2" off the bench. Some good days and some not so good days. Wheel weights plus2% tin. Frank

brstevns
04-30-2019, 08:21 PM
I guess I should be happy with the 2 inch at 100 yard groups I am getting with a 6x45 using the Lyman 85 Loverin bullet and 17.5 gr of IMR 4198

bmortell
05-01-2019, 04:52 PM
in my regular 3x9 hunting 30-06 across 2 boolit designs and 5 powders (1800-2kfps) everything does 2-2.5moa, annoyingly so, im trying to collect data for comparison and everything shoots so similar I have to measure the difference, tried my old jacketed reloads to make sure something weirds not happening and 165 nosler and 185 berger did 1moa and core locks did 4moa for some reason

waksupi
05-02-2019, 03:04 PM
in my regular 3x9 hunting 30-06 across 2 boolit designs and 5 powders (1800-2kfps) everything does 2-2.5moa, annoyingly so, im trying to collect data for comparison and everything shoots so similar I have to measure the difference, tried my old jacketed reloads to make sure something weirds not happening and 165 nosler and 185 berger did 1moa and core locks did 4moa for some reason

I would try different bullets, you may not be in sync with twist rate in the barrel. Heavy for bore size generally works best and most consistently for cast, and I see definite preferences to certain jacketed bullets.

Edward
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM

You"d be wrong (quite often) :bigsmyl2: just sayin/Ed

GregLaROCHE
05-16-2019, 11:42 PM
It really depends on which caliber and rifle I’m shooting.

toallmy
05-18-2019, 09:06 AM
My goal with cast boolits is under 2 inches at a hundred yards constantly with my rifles , 4 inches out of a slug gun , but I'm not there yet .
I'm enjoying the journey .
Handguns well that another story !!!!!

Dieselhorses
05-19-2019, 11:28 AM
100 bullets through same hole :-]>>>>O

SSGOldfart
05-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Humm minute -of-squirrel is my goal,I head shoot the little tree rats nice clean kill
Accuracy to me is hitting my targets were I need to hit. Little groups are nice to judge your equipment and ability but a 1moa group 3" low isn't going to work in my case.Hitting what I aim at regardless what your shooting.

Yes I was a 240 of 240 in boot camp also

Prodigal Son
05-19-2019, 11:34 PM
242072just shot this the other day with my Remington 141 35 Remington RCBS 200 GC I'm happy! Last four touching well under an inch!

Bad Ass Wallace
05-25-2019, 10:52 PM
30.06 with a 12x Leupold - 31.5gns 3031 and a Lyman 311284 sized to 0.310". Mind, I fired over 600 rounds to get just 2 10 shot groups under MOA.

https://i.imgur.com/SabiU6D.jpg

Texas by God
05-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Personal best with my stubby break open with ghost ring sights.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190526/6ab8ddfd3bdc8aa3c58f0b86c804fcdd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

williamhemmings
05-28-2019, 02:03 AM
Done with my c sharps and an mva 6x scope 535 gr bullet 72 grs of Swiss 1 1/2 cartridge242510

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk