PDA

View Full Version : Christmas

shaper
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
My wife informed me this morning that Christmas will be here soon and she needed some hints for the family. I am very hard to shop for. for instance I wanted to get my ratchets and sockets in one place and stored in a dedicated drawer, turns out I have more than 14 sets of sockets of all discriptions. So tools are off the list. I mentioned I would like to have a Cabin Tree tester and maybe a Lee bottom pour. All I got was a blank stare. So I went on line and down loaded all of the information on both. I'm now looking forward to a happy Christmas. Hmmm, Maybe I should have put a Henry 30-30 on the list.

wv109323
10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
I do "defensive shopping". About this time of the year I go and buy all the socks,underwear,T-shirts, handkerchiefs, neck ties that I will need for the next year. I then causally mention my purchase to all family members what I don't need.

runfiverun
10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I just take all the money I would have spent buying other people stuff they don't need and get myself something nice.
I suggest to them to do the same thing..
I dunno if that works for them or not, but it surely works on my end.

bangerjim
10-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Armed with my trusty iPhone, I visit my favorite haunts that have the "stuff" I want/need and take a picture of the front of the store, the price tag of the item, and the item itself. Then I message those to my wife and kids as "the list"!

Usually works. I now get either the stuff I want or money. No more crappy clothes, ties, and junk/cheap tools I do not want.

Now..........I am off to the "stores"! Never hurts to shop early. Just like the DNC says...."vote early....and vote often"!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

btroj
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
I just take all the money I would have spent buying other people stuff they don't need and get myself something nice.

Gear and I have a perfect gift for you. We are sending you a couple boxes of lube tests. You should be able to melt them together and have about 20 pounds of "Lord knows what lube"!

Hope it works well for you.

garym1a2
10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
last year I used the midwayusa wish list function.
Labeled one wishlist as Christmas and made it public.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-30-2013, 07:02 PM

I wish I could do this !!!

When spending Christmas with my daughter and her extended family, they draw names for secret santa. Last year a offered up a copy of "BULL COOK And Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices" The old book wasn't well received. AND the last three years have yielded for me, a 12volt automotive mini air compressor, a electric Presto hamburger cooker, a Teflon coated alum fry pan. None of which has been used or has any value to me...maybe I need to start "re-gifting"

If only I could hint to someone that all I want for christmas is some 358win headstamped brass.

archmaker
10-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Wife is hard to shop for and so am I, so we struck a comprimise. We both get x dollars (whatever the budget is) and we can use it to buy something we want. But there are a few rules, it has to be durable (no primers, powder, or other consumables), no paying off of bills, and when I buy she gets a kiss and thank you. Last year the money helped me get a Kimber UltraII :-D The year before . . . A Hornaday L-n-L AP.

Love Life
10-30-2013, 09:28 PM
We spend XXXX amount each on a present/presents for each other. Everything else is spent on our daughter.

btroj
10-30-2013, 09:42 PM
We spend less each year. Our daughter is old enough, 20 next month, that she gets less each year also. This year she is getting a GPS for the car. Last year it was a variety of hand tools.

runfiverun
10-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Gear and I have a perfect gift for you. We are sending you a couple boxes of lube tests. You should be able to melt them together and have about 20 pounds of "Lord knows what lube"!

Hope it works well for you.

sweeeet.
I can mix it with the other 7 pounds I have here and throw in some other stuff I got on the shelf and adjust it with someteen pounds of bees-wax and the 5 pounds of lanolin I got and make a killing selling sticks of it at local gun shows.
I think i'll call it Quest-lube or Mirror brite, or it's flippin cheap and works good lube.

Driver man
10-31-2013, 04:54 AM
I might get my daughter a GPS this year. She might find her way home a bit more

dragon813gt
10-31-2013, 05:50 AM
It's October. I refuse to acknowledge Christmas until after Thanksgiving. It made me sick to see the stores fully setup for Christmas a few weeks ago.

Ramar
10-31-2013, 06:10 AM
The older my kids get the more I spend. Each got a S&W .38 snubby airweight on the 1st Christmas after their 21st birthday and their wives included. Self defense first and then each Christmas I get to feed 'em or top 'em with a bigger or better one. That's still my favorite Christmas thing, being able to afford what I do.
Ramar

Never too many guns or too much ammo!

MT Gianni
10-31-2013, 10:30 AM
I get a lot of gift certificates and when pushed for a gift from my wifes relatives I ask for $25 worth of primers.

theperfessor
10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
My wife and I have most of our Christmas gifts delivered not by Santa but by a guy in a brown truck. She puts up her list on Amazon. I generally want things from Midway, Enco, MSC, and other sources so I just make up a text document with descriptions, site URL, and prices of the tools and shooting stuff I want. Email that and wait.

I hate Christmas mall traffic.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
My wife and I have most of our Christmas gifts delivered not by Santa but by a guy in a brown truck. She puts up her list on Amazon. I generally want things from Midway, Enco, MSC, and other sources so I just make up a text document with descriptions, site URL, and prices of the tools and shooting stuff I want. Email that and wait.

Sounds like we are on the same wave length. Ah yes, Midway, Enco, MSC, Brownells. The cause of empty bank accounts. With my wife it is Macys, Nordstrom, Dillards, etc.

Love Life
10-31-2013, 12:05 PM

Agree!! We buy most of our Daughter's Christmas stuff off of Amazon and other websites. Good deals, free shipping alot of times, and no having to deal with people!! Also I live in BFE so I get to avoid the long trip to town and back.

To those who buy Christmas for themselves- Start checking all the gun forums sale ads. My prediction was right and the market dump is beginning.

blackthorn
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
YEARS ago (at least 30+) I arrived at the conclusion that wifey (first) would NEVER be happy with what I bought (even if it was something SHE indicated she wanted)!! SO---she started getting $100 and she could buy her own! That way if (when) she was dissatisfied, she could look in a mirror and B**** at herself! Worked well for the balance of the time she stayed around. Later, it became hard to decide what the boys wanted/needed so I began to apply the $100 cash to them as well. They really appreciate being able to get something they need. For Gail and I, well---We have pretty much what we need and if there is something either of us want (and it fits the budget) we get it anytime of the year. For Christmas we find a charity or two, or someone who clearly needs a boost and we send off a cheque. Works for us!

shooter93
10-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm easy to shop for....I don't get anything from anyone and I like it that way.

youngda9
11-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I create lists on midwayusa and amazon for what I want. My wife distributes items off the lists to whoever asks. I get what I want that way.

I like the idea of defensive shopping...I should try that!

William Yanda
11-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I do "defensive shopping". About this time of the year I go and buy all the socks,underwear,T-shirts, handkerchiefs, neck ties that I will need for the next year. I then causally mention my purchase to all family members what I don't need.

Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee-I would have just ruined another keyboard!

bear67
11-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Christmas is for kids in our family. We buy for the grandchildren and not their parents anymore. We participate in helping get toys to those less fortunate and encourage the grand kids to to likewise. We are blessed and enjoy sharing.

If I get presents it is usually a book or something my shooting son, grandsons, grand daughters think I need for the shooting or reloading addictions. Forty five years ago, I gave my bride a Marlin 60 for our first Christmas, because she wanted one. She is not into jewelry or foo-faw do dads, so that worked for me. Still happy about it. Couple years ago, she said she wanted a "good" electric chain saw for her personal use--not a 39.95 wally world special. I bought a good one and we both were happy. She hates to pull a rope on a chain saw or weed eater.

The next year my son asked his wife what she wanted for Christmas and she replied that she would take anything, but durn sure not a chain saw. Now I have to figure how to tell my wife that I need a replacement coffee thermos for the one she gave me that first Christmas together--have to explain that I ran over it with the Dozier and left a "big" dent. Maqybe a new one every 40 or 45 years isn't so bad.

Blacksmith
11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Couple years ago, she said she wanted a "good" electric chain saw for her personal use--not a 39.95 wally world special. I bought a good one and we both were happy. She hates to pull a rope on a chain saw or weed eater.

Many years ago on this date I gave my wife an electric chain saw for our anniversary it was a cheepie, all we could afford. She was happy to get it because she had been using a hand bow saw to cut wood. Today was our 50th and she got a cameo necklace set in gold and we talked about the early days. I wonder if we will make 75.

I used to give her very detailed descriptions of what I wanted for gift occasions. She always said when she went to the store she would always have to get the boss or owner because the regular clerks had no idea what she was talking about. The big guy always knew and would dig one out or special order it. Now I save her the trouble and get what I want when the finances and need align.

Just Duke
11-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm easy to shop for....I don't get anything from anyone and I like it that way.

Ditto!

gspgundog
11-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Same here, just wish list enough that everybody will have a lot to choose from and then wait for the brown package car.