PDA

View Full Version : New member and new to casting.

bassetman1974
10-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi All,

Would just like to introduce myself. I handload for 30+ rifle and handgun calibers but I've always just shot jacketed or commercial cast. Being a big fan of the 38 Special and 357 Mag, I decided to start casting for several revolvers and one Marlin 1894. After reading several articles over the years by "The Duke" and John Taffin, I decided on the Lyman 358156 double cavity mold. I'm still adding equipment but would like some guidance.

So far I have acquired the following:

3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and the Lyman 49th edition manual
Lyman Big Dipper Furnace
Handles and Mold
Saeco Lubrisizer
50 lbs of Roto Metals 1:20 alloy

I still need to order a Saeco .358 die and 358429 top punch.

My first question is what type of lube would you recommend for a beginner, and do I need a heating plate?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Welcome here. You have made excellent choices in what you have. The 358156 has long been my favorite, it will shoot well in any gun I've tried it in. Also, good on the Lyman cast bullet book, and the furnace. I have both, and am well served by them. Never used the Saeco lubrisizer, but it is highly thought of by others. The lube I would suggest would be Carnauba Red, which can be ordered from the vendor's site here, or 50/50 alox, which may also be ordered here. I have needed to use a bit of heat for the Carnauba Red, cheap hair dryer works good. No heat is needed for 50/50. Hope this helps. Dan.

bassetman1974
10-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the hair dryer tip. I've read good things about the Carnauba Red. Will this lube also work with black powder in the 45-70 or do all the purists use SPG? Does SPG work well with my 38/357 applications using smokeless?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the lube choices. After I get a handle on the 38/357, the 45 Colt and 45-70 BP loads are next on my list. I'm just trying to keep things simple in the beginning will alloy and lube if possible.

Thanks in advance.

bangerjim
10-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Lube is a definite hot button on here.

You can tumble, pan lube, lubra-size, and powder coat.

I prefer the PC methods as described on the sticky on here. I used to use grease and Alox, but PC is fast, easy, no smoke, and no leading.

Explore the different threads and experiment to find what works best for your situation!

And......welcome to the BEST site on the net!

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

whisler
10-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't see a ladle mentioned; you're going to need one with that pot.