PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pan lubing

10-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I have pan lubed my first batch of Lyman 314299 boolits. Used a Tupperware type plastic shallow container. After cooling, the 50/50 lube "cake" was impossible to remove from the plastic. Is there something I can apply to the plastic to act as a "release agent"???

FishingFool
10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Don't remove it. Stick the tupperware in the microwave and put new bullets in.

Beagle333
10-29-2013, 08:49 PM
If you are gonna poke the boolits out the bottom instead of using a cake cutter, you can put it in the freezer and the lube will shrink away from the plastic and you can dump the cake out and wait for it to warm back up before poking them out. ('my experience with it)

Gtek
10-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Yes, release yourself from the plastic. 1- table saw or buddy with one. 2- 1x pine. 3- Wally world bread pans (coated,angled). 4- Lay bread pan on table saw and match angles of pan, cut wood to fit bottom. 5- Layout pattern and drill wood to stand on noses forward of front band (depth). 6- install boolits and pour melted wax to cover as needed. 7- Ambient cool or pop in fridge/freezer until chilled. 8- invert and pop out block, push out, repeat. OR- very, very carefully align all your boolits in pan on their behinds and slowly pour wax to cover if not wanting all grooves filled. Sometimes heating boolits to 200 degrees or so then applying lube is needed for full fill of grooves and better adhesion. Welcome to the madness. Gtek

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 10:42 PM
the wax probably melted the plastic a little bit.
just keep on using it until the lube gets low watching out for the container to spring a leak.
put something under it in the wave when melting it again and then switch over.

geargnasher
10-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Just warm the lube until it's soft like putty and pack it in the grooves with your fingers. A Lee push-through sizer will clean'em up nice. I've lubed thousands that way over the past couple of years while testing dozens and dozens of recipes. I'll wager I haven't used any of my four lube-sizers for more than a few hundred during that time.

Gear

oldandslow
10-29-2013, 10:57 PM
4296, 10/30/13

I also use either the K-mart bread pans (for small batches- they hold about 30 boolits max) or a large stainless steel service tray from the Salvation Army for $2 (holds 300 boolits).

I heat the Gatorade bottles filled with lube in a pan of water on the stove till it's liquid. I stand my boolits up on the bread pan or serving tray. I pore the lube onto the pan/tray until the lube grooves are covered. I let sit for about 15 minutes till the lube starts to gel then it's into the freezer for 15 minutes. When I pull the pan/tray out of the freezer I use the cookie-cutter method of picking the cases out of the lube and onto another tray to air-dry. When done I put my pan/tray on the stove and melt the leftover lube and pour it back into the Gatorade bottle till needed again. With the cookie-cutter method I don't get any lube on my hands. I use this method for pistol (9mm, 38 sp, 44sp, .45acp) and rifle (.223/556, 30-30. 30-06) and shotgun (770 grain fullbore slug). It's clean, quick and effective. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

shadowcaster
10-30-2013, 12:07 AM
I find that using the soft silicone bake ware is the cats meow. Stand boolits in the pan.. pour in heated lube.. let cool.. unfold the silicone from around the lube and boolits all in one motion.. push the lubed boolits out from the back. Remelt and repeat. :) Simple, no fuss, no muss.

Shad

Lead Fred
10-30-2013, 12:39 AM
fitty cent cake tins at goodwill are better to use.
After cooling you turn it over on a towel, wack the pan bottom and the whole thing falls out.
Then just push the boolits out

sthwestvictoria
10-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I second the idea of the silicone baking trays. I wait for the lube to cool to a just comfortable to touch, plastic stage, pop it out of the silicone pan then push the bullets out base first with thumb pressure:

taco650
10-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I second the idea of the silicone baking trays. I wait for the lube to cool to a just comfortable to touch, plastic stage, pop it out of the silicone pan then push the bullets out base first with thumb pressure:

Thanks for posting the pic. Helps me visualize things better. What lube is that?

sthwestvictoria
10-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks for posting the pic. Helps me visualize things better. What lube is that?

It is a variation of the Barry Darr lube, this recipe from an Australian gun writer Nick Harvey:
70% bee wax, 26% vaseline, 2% lanolin (sold at pharmacy's) and 2% crayon for colour (by weight).
It has gone to 2200fps in my 35whelen with no leading, to 1800 in 30-30 with no leading and good lube star on the muzzle. Ideally get real raw bee wax from an apiarist, not the fake stuff.
No cooking, just melt together. Use a double boiler or an electric hot plate as it is easy to burn the bee wax and lanolin.

ubetcha
10-31-2013, 07:06 AM
I have been looking for silicone pans for awhile and don't find them anywhere. I remember seeing them everywhere, but not lately. Are they still available?

taco650
10-31-2013, 08:36 AM
I have been looking for silicone pans for awhile and don't find them anywhere. I remember seeing them everywhere, but not lately. Are they still available?

They're kinda spendy but can be found at higher end kitchen ware stores. Places like Pampered Chef and similar with have them. Some guys report finding them in Goodwill, etc but I haven't seen any.

WallyM3
10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Or check on eBay.

rr2241tx
10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I put my bullets nose down in plastic trays that pistol cartridges come in. Turn a square layer cake pan over the trays and invert then remove the plastic trays. Melt lube in microwave and fill to desired level. Cool your pan on a pair of chopsticks and the lube will pull away from the sides. Replace the plastic trays and punch out the bullets with a chopstick right back into the plastic trays. The next batch can be poked back into the holes by hand prior to melting the lube in the oven if you have trays with the same spacing. This method works well with all relatively soft lubes like Emmert's.

Lead Freak
10-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I use a plastic funnel to cut the bullets out of the semi-soft wax. Trim off the end of the funnel until you have a good fit around the bullet. Push the end of the funnel down over the end of the bullet to the pan and move on to the next. You can do a hand full of bullets in the funnel in about 30 seconds.

taco650
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I use a plastic funnel to cut the bullets out of the semi-soft wax. Trim off the end of the funnel until you have a good fit around the bullet. Push the end of the funnel down over the end of the bullet to the pan and move on to the next. You can do a hand full of bullets in the funnel in about 30 seconds.

Good idea!

Full Mold Jack
10-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Good idea!

Indeed, it's like they're made for the job.

The kitchen is such a handy place to find tools :)

Beagle333
10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I use a plastic funnel to cut the bullets out of the semi-soft wax. You can do a hand full of bullets in the funnel in about 30 seconds.

The wife is gonna need a new funnel tonight. :bigsmyl2:

taco650
10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
The wife is gonna need a new funnel tonight. :bigsmyl2:

LOL! Hope you have your bed made in the shed!

Also, love your tag line and I agree, the 1860 Army has the best grip of any single action ever made.