PDA

View Full Version : Applegate Moulds

rvpilot76
08-25-2005, 02:55 AM
Who has experience with these? How much is a feller lookin' for one of these works of art? Thanks guys.

Kevin

felix
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Kevin, I think they are no longer made. From what I hear they were done right. ... felix

powderburnerr
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Unless he just quit he is still doing it and I have a 45 cal one with a 400 and a 500 in the same block it is a big brass mould and works like a bank vault it took me awhile to get the mould from him but I misunderstood that he needesd the money up front I talked about credit cards and thought he took them when I sent the money the mould arrived and it is a work of art. I cast two part bullets with it for hunting and it works well .they are cherry cut which limits the designs but he has a lot of LBT styles ,............. Dean

Sky C.
08-25-2005, 04:51 PM
I believe Rob has stopped making moulds. His are the best finished moulds I've ever had the pleasure to work with - and that includes a fair number of the custom makers products.

All were cherry cut, brass blocks, tool steel sprue plates, bushed steel inserts to accommodate the steel alignment pins, and finished outside as nicely as a fine gun. His design interpretation of a 425gr GC WLN type bullet suitable for the Marlin and other .45 cal rifles has proven itself finely accurate in 9 guns I have personally witnessesd to date - that's every gun in that caliber that I and a buddy own. None failed to perform at top accuracy levels with this bullet.

Another design of his was a 525gr. spitzer design for long range. Some other gentlemen assisted in calculating the BC for this bullet and put it at .4599. Forrest Asmus and a partner up in Sheridan, WY wrang this one out at long range and advised it performed as well as the best of what they shoot for that game but with noteably flatter trajectory.

I haven't had a chance to test his bullets for pistol moulds. One I have is a .45 cal 315gr PB that will be tested in a few blackhawks. Wish I'd have had the sense to get one of the lighter 260gr or 280 gr. versions for use in the Colt clones.

If you have a chance to pick one of those up - you'll be happy you did.

Best regards-

Sky C.

Char-Gar
08-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I was unaware that Rob was not making molds anymore. I will agree with the others. There have been no finer molds ever made..period. I have a DC PB 300 grn WFN that cast .454 out of wheel weight. Run this bullet at 900 fps and it will do anything a fellow needs a sixgun to do.

MOA Shooter
08-27-2005, 09:30 AM
"Another design of his was a 525gr. spitzer design for long range. Some other gentlemen assisted in calculating the BC for this bullet and put it at .4599. Forrest Asmus and a partner up in Sheridan, WY wrang this one out at long range and advised it performed as well as the best of what they shoot for that game but with noteably flatter trajectory" writes Sky C.

This bullet would be a good one for a cookie cutter design in other calibers if traditional cast speeds are the goal. The bore ride is tapered back to groove dia and aligns the bullet well at chambering. A checked design to mid range speeds would be an accurate bullet also. Something for you mold honchos to consider.

MOA.