PDA

View Full Version : Lee Prod Pot IV (10lb) Drips...with valve open!

fireflyfather
11-08-2007, 11:51 AM
OK, having some issues with my practically brand new Lee pot (less than 10 hrs use). The sucker was dripping a little, but used a screwdriver to rock the valve rod back and forth to clean out the gunk. Worked fine, but over the last couple of days, it has gradually been giving less and less alloy when I pull the handle. Now it barely drips when I pull the handle. The alloy is very hot, and makes fine, frosted bullets, with the heat control up to 9. I'm using clean WW alloy.

Can anyone explain how to clean the gunk out and/or get the pot to pour a stream of alloy like it used to?

Sundogg1911
11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
sounds like you have dirt (dross) clogging the spout. You have have to heat it up, dump the alloy and clean the pot

Marshal Kane
11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
After you've brought the pot up to temperature, you might be able to clear the spout with a piece of bent wire. Place something like an ingot mould under the spout, open the valve, hold the bent wire with a pair of pliers and run it up and down into the spout. Don't forget to flux and stir the alloy well to remove as much of the dross in the pot as you can or this problem may return. Hope this helps.

454PB
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
What Marshal said......I use a dental pick.

fireflyfather
11-09-2007, 12:08 AM
That did the trick. Pliers and a paper clip. Fixed it like a charm. You guys are keeping me out of all kinds of trouble. Probably a good thing, too, since I've only been reloading for 2 months. I still have a lot to learn. Appreciate all the (timely!) help.

armoredman
11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
These guys are the best with assistance.

VTDW
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
+1

This is the best sight bar none for good folks helping a bro out. The patience these good folks use in dealing with us noobies is amazing. This casting stuff and what goes along with it in lubes, accuracy, safety, materials and equipment can be overwhelming and they seem to know just what information to give and not confuse me.

Dave

imashooter2
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
You're going to need to do this on a semi regular basis. Lash that paper clip to a piece of dowel and keep it next to your pot along with your screw driver and skiming spoon.

MT Gianni
11-10-2007, 01:30 AM
A paneling nail in needle nose pliers works also.
Gianni

Swagerman
11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I've used the nail technique many times to unplug a stuck pour spout.

Sometimes you might have to heat the nail with a propane torch and dip it in beeswax to poke up into the plugged solidified lead in the spout...but be carefull of spray and splatter.

Jim

hunter64
11-18-2007, 09:30 AM
I do exactly the same thing as MT Gianni said, only I made a dedicated tool for one. I took a piece of hockey stick (any 2x2 and about 6-8" long) and nailed the end of it. Then I just ground off the head of the nail bent it at a right angle and you have a new Lee spout unclogged. I remember reading a post about curing the nasal drip problem and I think someone said to hang a small weight off of the pin but I can't remember and need to dig deeper on the site to find it.

We all start as newbies and I am grateful that I found this site, and you definitely learn something new everyday.

pjh421
11-26-2007, 02:54 AM
If only most customer service folks were half as helpful and knowlegeable as the denizens of this site...

TAWILDCATT
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
HUNTER: you are right about the weight I read that too.

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 03:09 AM
I do the bent wire thing too.

After several hundred pounds of lead, some real tough crud can build up in there.
Mine has gotten so bad a few times that I've had to empty the pot, let it cool off, and
then take the valve/rod thing out and scrap it.

While its apart, I run a drill bit in the hole-- not on a drill, just poke it up & down by hand.
The sides of the drill bit will really finish cleaning out the hole/spout,
and it'll be 'good as new' when ya put it back together.

S.R.Custom
12-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Keep in mind that all the trash is lighter than the melt, so it rises to the top. A fairly obvious bit of information, I know, but I say that for a reason...

If during the casting operation a chunk of crud should break loose, it will float to the top. Dross floats. Old gas checks and wheel weight clips will float. Burnt up flux floats... Everything floats. And none of it can possibly clog the spout if you never let your pot get more than 1/2 empty. Admittedly, I keep a pretty dirty pot, but by never letting it run low, I haven't had to catheterize my pot for a long, long time...

wiljen
12-02-2007, 11:24 AM
worst case scenario, you can buy a new valve and pot liner and reline your pot for about $15 from lee. I finally did this awhile back as the top had started to crumble.

Onlymenotu
12-02-2007, 01:31 PM
the wifey ask me what i wanted for xmas...i said the lee 20lb bottom pour pot....she said order it[smilie=1: as of/up to this point all my casting has come from a turkey cooker and a pot and a ladle,,,,so here is my ? if'n i don't like the bottom pour..... can i still use the pot with out haven't to remove the pour gut's.... is there anuff room on the top,,,to dip with the pour guts still in place? :roll:* the stupid question is the one not ask* i'd rather find out now.... than 2 late

454PB
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes, you can use a dipper without removing the valve on the Lee Pro-4-20. I've even used a dipper with the 10 pounder, but it's a real PITA because the valve rod runs at an angle, front to back. On the 20 pounder, it's vertical and positioned close to the front edge.

Onlymenotu
12-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Yes, you can use a dipper without removing the valve on the Lee Pro-4-20. I've even used a dipper with the 10 pounder, but it's a real PITA because the valve rod runs at an angle, front to back. On the 20 pounder, it's vertical and positioned close to the front edge.

great so the 20 lb'er it is,,,,,,Tks 4 the rely