PDA

View Full Version : I had an unexpected opportunity to take my daughter shooting on Monday

44Vaquero
10-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Up until recently my 16 teen year old daughter Sabrina has only been interested in shooting the H&R 999 Sportsman .22 revolver. On Monday she must have been feeling her oats, taking a turn with the S&W .38/.357, 1858 Remington (converted to .45 ACP), .44 Vaquero and even the /Ruger 22/45!

In truth she was most at home with the S&W shooting over 300 rounds. Several coffee cans gave their life's in pursuit of better marksmanship. She only fired a couple of cylinders in the big bores. The 22/45 on the other hand, counting her number of times she returned to the bench to reload just over 300 rounds were expended.

It was a great afternoon!

MtGun44
10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Every young lady should be proficient with a handgun. It is a relaxing and mind
clearing way to spend an afternoon, and under bad circumstances it can save a
life.

Good to hear that she is enjoying it.

Bill

brtelec
10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I love taking my kids and soon my grandkids to the range. I think I have as much fun watching them shoot as I have ever had shooting.

1Shirt
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for posting!
1Shirt!

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
must be the haircolor :lol: it's the same as littlegirls.

44Vaquero
10-30-2013, 12:59 PM
MtGunn44, You are correct sir they should be, after all the PPO is just a piece of paper!

brtelec, I certainly enjoyed spending the afternoon with her.

Runfiverun, Yes the hair color is somewhat off the hook! It's a passing fad, next month it will be something else. She is not interested in tattoos or extra piercings so I can live with calling her RED these days. :-P

Artful
10-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Hopefully you set up some reactive targets for RED to keep her interest up - things that move, make noise or otherwise provide feedback can make it much more enjoyable than just punching paper.

44Vaquero
10-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Artful, sure did Coffee cans on sticks and clay birds in the dirt hill. Easy to see the misses as well as the hits with the birds in the dirt hill.

The only shooting at paper targets was done with the 22/45 w/halo sight. Cans and clays are no match for the .22.

Recluse
10-31-2013, 03:40 AM
This made my day.

:coffee:

smokeywolf
10-31-2013, 04:29 AM
If the bright red hair is the wildest or most rebellious thing she's doing then you've got nothing to worry about.

Do love to see daddies and daughters out on the range. Can't think of many other things that are more bonding.

Nice job 44Vaquero

smokeywolf

Driver man
10-31-2013, 04:35 AM
Its great to have a daughter wanting to learn to shoot. I think she likes the Remmington

RED333
10-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Yall got a problem with RED hair? :holysheep:smile:
JK, Good day at the range is better than,
well anything.
Thanks for sharing.

DougGuy
10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Great way to spend a day!

I don't know if it's been there all along and we never hear about it, or if it's just the media sources have grown so much that now we are getting these reports of young ones defending themselves and their siblings and their households with firearms, but it sure seems to be an emerging trend. Teaching them to shoot, firearm safety and education at her age, is priceless. You never know from one day to the next what the future holds.

The criminal elements here are getting tired of the losing odds of plying their trade in the cities and 'hoods so there are reports of them trying their luck out in the country where you wouldn't expect those crimes to happen. The reports I have seen say they are often finding themselves shot, sometimes fatally, by both the elderly and juveniles in defense of their homes. There never should be an age restriction on self defense and on this subject, all family members should be taught what to do if something happens.

44Vaquero
10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
DougGuy,

You are correct on both counts it is a great way to spend the day and all the kids should be taught to defend themselves. All my kids are well versed in firearm safety, now as their interest grows we are working on the nuts and bolts of using different types of firearms.

She was always scared of the automatics (her eyes fixate on the bolt/slide motion). That's why I had her shooting the 22/45, focus is higher due to the Halo sight.

To everyone that commented I want to say "Thanks". As a proud father I am blessed that I have 3 Good kids to brag about from time to time. The Blue GT was mine and the Black GT is now my sons.

Love Life
10-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Good stuff here. Good stuff indeed.

PS Paul
10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
That's terrific. You're truly blessed.

16 was the same age that my daughter was when one fateful summer day, she out-shot her old man with a single-action .22 at 15 yds. off-hand. She placed four cylinders-full into a 2.5" circle offhand with ease. I was proud and humiliated at the same time. But mostly proud! ha ha.

Congrats to you and her!

smokeywolf
10-31-2013, 07:11 PM
No shame in seeing your children outshoot you. Just means your transitioning from being the best marksman in the family to being the best teacher and the proudest daddy.

PS Paul
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
No shame in seeing your children outshoot you. Just means your transitioning from being the best marksman in the family to being the best teacher and the proudest daddy.

Nice way of putting it, Smokey. I felt I was just gettin' old and more blind! I'll take the teaching credit because she LISTENS and pays attention. I'm blessed to have wonderful kids and wife, that's a fact!