PDA

View Full Version : Raining

starmac
10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
It is raining here, bad juju for this time of the year, making the roads very dangerous.
There have been some serious wrecks the last couple of days, including one guy I know that rolled his truck, on the road then down a steep slope. The initial roll broke the top of his sleeper off and left it sitting in the road with his kids in it, while he rolled on down the hill, none of them was hurt. God was working overtime, looking out for them.
On the plus side, hunting season has been extended because of this crazy weather, people are still able to access hunting grounds by boat, when usually this time of year you have to wait on enough snow to use sleds.

JakeBlanton
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
God was working overtime, looking out for them.

But by that logic, wasn't he the one to have caused it to rain and the truck to go down the hill in the first place?

Frankly, with all the things that I've seen in life, I suspect that if he does exist, he really doesn't care what happens. At best, we're probably just an experiment where he set things in motion and he just sits back to see what will happen. If it doesn't work out, he rolls the dice and tries again. How many times has he rolled the dice prior to us? Are we just the subjects of some deity level Sim City undertaking?

My caffeine level is particularly low today and my chronic pain is being a bit more chronic than usual, so I guess I'm just feeling a bit more cynical than usual.......

AlaskanGuy
10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Its raining and blowing here star.... Wind speed topped 71 mph... Totally miserable... I did manage to get out to the range and scored 322 pieces of brass.... Yeee haw... It was worth it.. Somebody was shooting up the place with an AR... And a few folks were sighting in thier 30-06 just before the storm hit... And it allllllllll MINE. Muwwwhhhhaaaaaaaa. :guntootsmiley:

starmac
10-29-2013, 02:38 PM
LOL I thought I was putting this in the our town forum.

Well Jake I guess that is one way to look at it, but the driver of that truck has about the same views, and was sure thanking god yesterday. You see, he was the one driving down that hill, not god, but god did make sure he could talk about it.

w5pv
10-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Like the old saying there are no atheist in the foxhole.I may not have the following correct but the meaning is there.Who so ever believes in me and calls my name in the time of need shall see the gates of heaven.

JakeBlanton
10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Like the old saying there are no atheist in the foxhole.I may not have the following correct but the meaning is there.Who so ever believes in me and calls my name in the time of need shall see the gates of heaven.

From what I've read with respect to accident investigations by the NTSB where there are cockpit voice recorders, the most common last words are "oh sh-t" -- usually said in a manner of resignation to what is about to happen, not as an exclamation.

starmac
10-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Well I just happened to be talking on the radio during a roll over once, everybody said I said AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. lol

jmorris
10-30-2013, 05:07 PM
It is raining here today as well, about 12 more feet and lake levels might be high enough that they open the boat ramps again.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-31-2013, 08:08 AM
What one is saying and one is thinking during times of crisis are often two different things. The mouth is hollering out for human help while the mind is praying for Godly help.

Forty Rod Ray
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Just holler for Obama.... I 'spec you'll get what you need... And maybe a little of what you don't...

starmac
10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
I expect if a guy mentioned Obummer up in the with the wrong attitude, he might find himself with everybody driving by, leaving you trapped in the wreckage. lol

On the bright side, it is presently snowing instead of raining finally.

AlaskanGuy
10-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Finally snowing there? Raining like heck here and sideways with the wind still... Hasent stopped for quite a while ...

starmac
10-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Yea, it covered the ground(barely) but has stopped for the moment. Just enough to cause problems. lol

canyon-ghost
10-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Having driven a truck, I do remember prayers that went, "Oh God, if you let me get through this, I promise to try harder." I think I've had occasion to do folks favors since then (and partly because of it).

Ron

300savage
10-31-2013, 09:31 PM
well Jake about all i can say is how is that attitude working for ya ?
i have lived a big part of my life without God, running hard with my shoulders back and a chip on just daring you to knock it off.
and a part of my life on my knees thanking Him for what he is doing in my world and i assure you a man stands taller when God lifts him up.
i hope and pray that you find your peace as well.

starnbar
10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I think God is there all ways has been but he gave us something its called free will and if you choose to do a particular thing on a certain day then part of it is your decision and the rest is in his hands.

starmac
10-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Who ever moved this thread, THANKS.

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2013, 11:20 PM
It aint raining or snowing here. Kinda ****** me off really since i rely on a snowmachine to run my trap line.

quilbilly
10-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Could be worse. Saturday is the opening day of elk season on the Washington Coast. The weatherman is saying driving rain and 45-50 mph winds for the first big storm of the monsoon season on Willapa bay where we will be. Guess that means the chain saw and logging cables will be in the back of the truck so we can cut our way out to Hwy 101. I love it here. The elk don't want to be in the jungle any more than I do and will be running by us to stay out of the way of the falling trees.

sparky45
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
This has got to be the wettest year we have had in decades. I love the global climate change thing.

grumman581
11-01-2013, 11:17 AM
This has got to be the wettest year we have had in decades. I love the global climate change thing.

Living along the Gulf Coast, I'm kind of hoping for the next Ice Age. I figure that with a couple thousand feet of ice pack in the northern latitudes, the Gulf Coast will finally be a *temperate* climate. Plus, the sea water levels will be down, so the beaches will stretch further out. :)

randyrat
11-01-2013, 12:37 PM
We had a lot of snow in May and now we just had snow a couple weeks ago Oct...I'm hopping for a little "northern warming"

Back to the beginning, rain sure messes with the roads and trails around here also, the ground gets soft, all the trails and dirt roads turn to mud. Forget going 4X4ing with a 4 wheel you just get stuck worse. I can't imagine Alaska with a bunch of rain, the trails have to be treacherous.

quilbilly
11-01-2013, 06:51 PM
The weather warnings just bumped the wind up to 65 mph to go with the heavy rain. This should really get the elk moving out of the timber

paul h
11-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Rain in Alaska during the winter is bad news, because once the road beds are nice frozen that rain results in a layer of ice with water on top of it. Nasty, nasty slippery stuff. An ideal winter is one where the temps never rise above freezing from October through March. Not to mention the snow has an amazing ability to reflect what little light there is at nite time. With our current lack of snow it is very dark at night.

Bullshop Junior
11-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Yes it is. I have good night vision so if there is a litrle snow on the ground i can hunt at night. Not so good this year since it is blacker then sin.