PDA

View Full Version : 2 days and a wake up

Boz330
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Till Rifle season opens here in KY.
Hunting with a Swede Roller in 8MM with a 240gr flat point if it checks out this afternoon over the chrono and for group. Otherwise I will go with my CSA 75 Sharps in 38-55 with the Lee 250gr bullet over a snoot full of BP. It has scored once already, putting a nice fat doe in the freezer last year.
Good luck to all that will be pursuing their winter meat this weekend.:drinks:

Bob

jack19512
11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I will be using my H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70 and 340 grain cast this year. Hunting deer here in eastern Ky. can be tough. Didn't get one last year, maybe better luck this year. :-D

Boz330
11-08-2007, 02:11 PM
The farm we hunt straddles the Todd-Christian county line and isn't as good as it was years ago, but still is good for a couple meat does.
These 2 bucks were taken in 05. They were the best bucks that I know of taken in that area in quite a few years.

Bob

Boz330
11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Opening day plus a week and 2 days to score some meat. I was walking out this morning wet and cold and hadn't seen a thing. Topped a little rise in this wheat field and there were 4 deer. I have been expecting something like that and sure enough it happened. One shot from the 38-55 with the Lee 250gr boolit on top of 43gr of 2F Swiss BP and the meat requirements are met.
It has been a strange season this year. Blue tongue has hit the deer in this area pretty hard. Typically I see a number of deer on this farm but not so many this year and they seem exceptionally small. Only saw 2 does up till this morning that I considered shooters and they were beyond my limit with iron sights. Had several small bucks come by but nothing that I was interested in. If I'm not mounting it, I'm not shooting it. I already have several nice wall hangers so it is going to take a real hoss. Actually I don't think that I will ever kill another buck that beats some that I already have taken.
Recovered the slug from the deer and it was nicely mushroomed. The alloy was 20-1 lead tin mix. It hit a rib going in and got the left lung and ended up going down the spine. The slug was under the skin on the right ham. The deer was standing up hill and it was almost a frontal shot slightly quartering.