PDA

View Full Version : I sprung a leak!

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
I was getting ready to go to work today. Had my coffee, checked the site, all good right?
I walked into the kitchen to kiss the wife goodbye and hit the road, when I noticed that my foot felt weird. I pulled my foot out of my boot and was surprised to see that my sock was bathed in blood!
In fact, there was blood leaking out of the seams of my boot. (mental note to me: retreat boots with mink oil).
Anyway, I pulled off my sock, and commenced to shoot this beautiful 6" stream of blood the size of a pencil lead across the kitchen floor. I thought about seeing if I could write my name, but figured I might ought to get pressure on the hole.
Turns out, I have these varicose veins in my legs, and I think a wrinkle in my boot presses against one of the ones in my ankle. It hurts quite a bit to touch that spot, but I never paid it any nevermind, just ignored it.
I decided that it wouldn't do to go walking around with a bloody boot, so I made an appointment with the doctor.
What a way to start the day!

Sweetpea
10-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Get it taken care of, Tim!

You should know as well as anybody, when your feet hurt, you don't work as fast, or care as much.

You just want to be done...

Good luck!

Brandon

jcwit
10-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Keep us posted. Like you said, "What a way to start a day". Pray it all goes well for you & you're foot.

Garyshome
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
I hate when that happens.Pray it all goes well for you

w5pv
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Take care Tim,God bless you and I pray for Gods healing hand to touch you.Speedy recover

btroj
10-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Not a good way to start a day doesn't quite describe it.

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Aw heck, I aint dyin or anything! The doc's probably going to sell me a $500 bandaid, and tell me to wear sneakers from now on.
Hah! that's not going to happen.

So far this month, I got prescription glasses that are awesome until I need to shoot through a scope, and now I've got to get my foot looked at. I wonder what #3 is going to be?

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
That said, thank you for the prayers! Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!

Bloodman14
10-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Never, never, never, ask, "Aw, gee, what next?" !

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Oops :groner:

waksupi
10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Things like that really screw up a guy's schedule for the day.

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm just wondering how I'm going to clean my boot!

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
No problem. I got an appointment for 9:10 this morning.
I wish i could sell bandaids for $500 each....

btroj
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Tim, that isn't just a bandaid. It is a medical device!

In reality think of it this way. You can put a bandaid on it. The Md has the skills to look and see of the situation is more serious or if it needs just a bandaid.

Sort of like the difference between a guy with a lathe and a machinist.

It isn't the tool, it is the knowledge and experience of the user.

Sweetpea
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm just wondering how I'm going to clean my boot!

Start with peroxide...

Brandon

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Aha! good idea!

popper
10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
If it wasn't pulsing, not to worry, it's just used blood you don't need. Bandaid - no, he'll use his Kbar to strip it out and tie a square knot in it, then give you some aspirin. If you use rat poison it'll drain faster next time. Seriously, get good fast.
Gotta brag and this might make you feel better. 24#, 42"
My red-headed kid. Poor guy only gets to work one day this week, then off to NYC for the run.

Pb2au
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Here you go Mr. Goodsteel;

This should sort out your leak.

Or,

Ok, all kidding aside, glad you are headed to the sawbones, gotta take care of yourself.
Most people that don't work on their feet on concrete all day do not realize the toll it takes on you.

Bzcraig
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Ok, after you see the doc, be sure to follow orders.

eljefeoz
10-29-2013, 10:21 AM
get well,Tim.
Cheers

bosterr
10-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Step on a landmine?

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 12:17 PM
you could clean the blood out of your boot the same way I did and just go ahead and fall down the sharp rocks along the lake edge and slide in up to your knees.
then you can wash all the blood off your arms and such while your in there looking at your fishing reel.
the broken fishing reel and wet boots aren't so important when it's dark and you are changing a flat tire on the side of a 2 lane highway with no shoulder on the way home.
my boots come out nice and clean though. my mouth wasn't.

shdwlkr
10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Tim sorry your day has started in such a way.
You could be like me though, a broken back, two bad patella's, broken ankle and I was in a wreck in may that has left me with a hip that lets me know when the weather is changing. Sleeping is interesting now think sometimes only 4 hours before it hurts so bad you get up and find your recliner and hope for a few more hours of rest.

But I hope to go elk hunting with a friend later this week as us challenged people don't do a lot of things alone for fear something just might ruin our day and help needs to be close enough to keep us laughing and not thinking to hard about the next step.

As to wondering what is next don't even go there could be much more of a challenge then you want. Mine was the car wreck this year, totaled the car and had to find a new one while in therapy, seeing an ortho surgeon for my wrist, that one is still a question and will only know for sure in 8 months which way we need to go. Hope I don't need surgical intervention I do so hate hospitals and such.

Look at this way you are on the way to being mended and then you can again do what you like in life.
As to the glasses I have learned how to use a scope with my bifocals and not get scope bite if the scope is mounted right for me. Yep been bit a few times by a scope not set right and yes there has been some blood from being bit.

Best of luck and stay safe

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Doc says it's a cluster of varicose veins right there on my ankle, and I've got it in both feet. He said that it's because I'm on my feet constantly, standing in one place. You're not going to believe this, but he actually told me I need to lose weight! ME! 300pounds of physical excellence soaking wet! Oh well, I'll bet he says that to everybody who comes in with a bleeding foot. LOL!
He also said I need to wear these weird stockings like Benjamin Franklin. If he told me I needed to switch to those big buckled slippers too, then we were going to have a problem.
I don't know about this.............

theperfessor
10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Tim, take it from me, don't screw around with injuries to your extremities. Used to think I was ten feet tall and bulletproof, found out different.

Get well soon buddy.

btroj
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Someone is getting compression stockings. Make sure they are the right size, you MUST be measured for proper fit.

Take care of this Tim, you don't want other issues down the road. Listen to the body mechanic, he knows what he is talking about.

tomme boy
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Take it from a person that has diabetes. Do not let anything like this get away from you. It can get MUCH worse. Right now my legs and feet feel like they are on fire. It is always like this and does not go away.

Do like he says and loose some weight. You don't want to end up getting diabetes. That might be whats next!

MtGun44
10-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Good luck with that. Nobody is getting younger, and like an old car, stuff slowly goes
wrong.

Got to be a pretty weird story, tho! Hope it is easily repaired and prevented in the future.

Bill

MT Gianni
10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Look at a pair of muck boots for less felt pressure on the area. Still praying for a good long term outcome buddy.

Hardcast416taylor
10-29-2013, 02:10 PM
I guess it was lucky that it happened at home and not on the road 40 miles this side of nowhere! Hope you`re not on coumadin blood thinners, these can really be a complication to any injury where blood is leaking. Get well and listen to your Quack SORRY I mean Doc.Robert

gray wolf
10-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Pay attention to the advise and and have a speedy recovery.
Prayers up for you.

Sam

BruceB
10-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Take it from a person that has diabetes. Do not let anything like this get away from you. It can get MUCH worse.

An Amen here to tommeboy.

I have already lost my left leg and 1/3 of my right foot to complications of diabetes. TAKE CARE of yourself; we need you here.... and HEALTHY.

Smoke4320
10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Superglue .. It will fix you right up
seriously get good help as said before it can get out of hand real quick
heres hope things are looking up for you

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Superglue .. It will fix you right up
seriously get good help as said before it can get out of hand real quick
heres hope things are looking up for you

I actually thought of that! LOL!

To answer the earlier question, I take no blood thinners, not medication of any kind. I've always been healthy as a horse, able to lift more, run faster, and hit harder than most fellers half my size. I have to admit though, I've been feeling my weight a lot more lately. I just figured it was because I'm burning the candle at both ends, but I suppose I might just be realizing I'm not in my 20s anymore. LOL!
Thanks again for all the prayers. I really don't think my physical shortcomings can hold a candle to my spiritual ailments, but God knows what I need and I am touched by all your kindness!
Thank you!

Blacksmith
10-29-2013, 04:01 PM
So far this month, I got prescription glasses that are awesome until I need to shoot through a scope, and now I've got to get my foot looked at. I wonder what #3 is going to be?

Maybe #3 will be one of those 4 hour things ****** (Viraga; fooled the filter) warns you need to see a doctor if it happens.:kidding:

smoked turkey
10-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Tim:I know that seeing a doc is not on our list of most fun things to do. However it is sometimes necessary if we want to continue to enjoy our older years. If you are like me and I think others on the site here, some of us have some pretty rough miles on us. It is too late to take care of some of the things that can't be fixed. But as long as something can be done by the medical folks I think you need to follow their advice. Do what they say. Of course I'll pray that the Great Physician will weigh into this one and do a major miracle for you. I think it is up to us to do what we can just as we ask Him to do what He can. Get those socks on and start with a little daily brisk walk (if the doc approves).

leeggen
10-29-2013, 08:18 PM
The next will be the doc bill and the fitting for the socks and the bill for the socks. Be sure to carry an asperin for heart failure as it comes with the billing. LOL NO just get well and think of it as a good reason to spend some extra time on building that rifle you have been thinking about.
Get well.
CD

MBTcustom
10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
The next will be the doc bill and the fitting for the socks and the bill for the socks. Be sure to carry an asperin for heart failure as it comes with the billing. LOL NO just get well and think of it as a good reason to spend some extra time on building that rifle you have been thinking about.
Get well.
CD

Are you kiddin me? I'm trying to build rifles for everyone else, and I just get to cast loving looks at mine waaaaayyyy down at the end of the rack LOL!
I'm not down and out or anything. I'm in good form. I just need to take care of the veins in my legs. Once I got the bleeding stopped, it has not come back all day, and the doc told me I'd be fine.
I do need to walk some though. I notice I run out of breath much faster than I used to.

I have an idea though! I just got a new next door neighbor who boxes! I studied Muay Thai kickboxing about ten years ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I always wanted to learn real traditional boxing. That is a cardio workout unlike any other.

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
I bet they could strip those varicose veins out pretty easily and alleviate the issue.

oh if you do go for the Ben franklin look I waana see pics. :lol:

MaryB
10-29-2013, 10:50 PM
But coumadin is so much fun. Wind caught a piece of flashing I was putting on, stupid me caught it by sticking it sideways across a fingertip. Then drive 25 miles one way to the emergency room using a stick shift with the injured finger... I drenched through 9 layers of paper towel and duck tape waiting to get in. Doc took off my emergency band-aid and I sprayed the wall behind him. 7 stitches later to put my finger back together and back home to finish the project before it rained.

geargnasher
10-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Tim, think really, REALLY hard about the next fifty years of your life. That is a LONG time. At 35 I had to quit my 20-year competitive running habit. Why? One day I realized that the pain in my knees after a marathon or even a 10K didn't go away after a few days anymore, in fact it got to where it NEVER went away. A year later I quit the cigarettes I so dearly loved since high school, not that I was having any real problems yet, but I could see the handwriting on the wall. I want to be able to do things when I'm old, and if I don't make these changes, I'll be too crippled up, sick, and hurting to enjoy life, if I even make it past retirement.

I miss my knees, my back, and my hands when they used to function better and hurt less. Most of my ailments are self-inflicted, and as I realized this, have been making a point to take better care of this body from now on, because it won't just "get better in a day or two" any more like it used to when I abuse it.

All that and I'm only 38, quite active, and exactly at my ideal weight. Listen to your body, it's starting to tell you something very important. People really SHOULD start behaving like healthy 70-year-olds in their mid-thirties, they'd feel a whole lot better 40 years later if they did.

OK, lecture over. Carry on.

Gear

MBTcustom
10-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Dang. You mean it get's worse?!?!

Yeah, I know you're right. It's been on my mind lately, especially because I see my dad struggling with diabetes and living in the most splendid state of denial you ever saw. I can see the mistakes he's making, and I try to tell him to go see the doctor, get out and walk, see a chiropractor, do something. But he insists its all going to clear up someday on it's own.
:groner:
There's also the fact that we Malcolms are short lived anyway. We have our family tree traced all the way back to Scotland, and to my knowledge, my dad is the only man that I know of that made it past 57. Heck all my uncles already kicked the rusty bucket, in their 40's!
Seems we all do this. Sure get's a guy to thinking about things. I sure would like to make it to 70 at least, and when I croak I want it to be suddenly in some sort of catastrophic explosion of epic proportions!
Yeah, I need to make some changes. It's just so contrary to my nature.

cbrick
10-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Dang. You mean it get's worse?!?!

Yeah, I need to make some changes. It's just so contrary to my nature.

The Doc was correct and you should heed his advice about the weight. Sure wish I would have about 25 years ago.

The three best indicators of possibly getting diabetes.

Over weight.
Middle age.
Runs in the family.

Don't take these things lightly. Diabetes is a life changer and not something to shrug off.

You could spend a few days over at John's place running up & down the hill to his firing line. One gun at a time so you have to go back up the hill to get another one, that will take a few pounds off. :mrgreen:

Rick

btroj
10-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Tim, you have signs that are telling you something. You can either cave in to family norms and die you or you can fight it. Fight it, if not for yourself then for your family. Grow up to see your grand kids.

We need a gunsmith for the future, not just today. Take care of your body, you only get one. It deserves every bit as much care as the tools in your shop.

Listen to Bruce B, he has been there, done that.

gmsharps
10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
You have to want to do this no one can make you. You know what your family history is and you can see the future so it is totally up to you. Enough said.

gmsharps

Recluse
10-30-2013, 11:07 AM
So far this month, I got prescription glasses that are awesome until I need to shoot through a scope,

I hear that. I have prescription reading glasses, but my near-vision gets worse with each passing year. It has affected my shooting because I have to decide if seeing the target is more important than seeing the front sight or if having the front sight in sharp focus and wondering where the target is will make for a better shot.

The joys of growing older.

:coffee:

country gent
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Good Steel get it looked at and follow the doctors instructions. Another thing I had happen a few times in the trade. A Lathe drill or mill chipget is a shoe or sock ay sitthere for days or even thru a washing. Ornery thing picks a time to start rubbing poking and for no reason you have a wet foot. Get it checkecked out and find out for sure. Get better fast and your in my prayers and thoughts

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 07:35 PM
To a large extent, you play the genes you were dealt, but there are big differences
in the results based on "how you play your cards".

Good luck sir, I have seen people on incipient diabetes path change their eating and 8 yrs later
no longer on that path and blood sugar in the green. Can't change your genes but you can
play the hand as well as is possible.

Last week I lost a good friend of more than 30 years. He lived 7 1/2 years with serious cancer,
mostly because he VERY aggressively sought out the few docs that actually know anything about
this rare cancer and got two special treatments (targeted radiation) in Switzerland that are not
available yet in the US. Without his efforts, if he had just stuck with the local docs and ordinary
treatment, he would have been dead in a year or so. How you work your health is largely in your
own hands and can make a HUGE difference. He really enjoyed the extra years, did a lot. His last
car was a Miata with a 430 hp Corvette motor, 6 speed Camaro tranny and Caddy limited slip
diff - makes a 427 Cobra seem like an antique truck.

Best wishes.

Bill

Artful
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
If you don't look after yourself no one else will, and the Ben Franklin stockings are all the rage down here in Arizona. Wishing you well and a long and happy life.

MT Gianni
10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
JT and anyone else. I asked my eye Dr if I could bring a pistol in without a cylinder. He said sure and I have a pair of fixed Bi-focals that allow me to keep the target in the top half and switch to the front sight in the bottom cut out with a minimal movement of my head. Shooting with no line Bi-focals was terrible.