PDA

View Full Version : Storing black powder

abunaitoo
10-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Didn't know where to post this. Just thought this place is as good as any.
I don't like to have metal cans of powder around. They rust here.
I reuse Aliant plastic bottles. Wash them out. Paint the outside with flat white paint. Write what smokeless powder on the outside.
Is it ok to store black powder in plastic bottles?????
Sounds like a no-brainer.
The reason I'm asking is I've never seen black powder in plastic bottles. There must be a reason.

jaystuw
10-29-2013, 01:10 AM
abunaitoo, Seems like I have only seen it in metal cans to. Maybe it does not agree with plastic? You would think that if plastic can stand up to smokeless, it would have no problem with black powder. Speaking of black powder, do they sell it in Oahu? I never see it in calif. but I do spend some time in Honolulu and expect to spend alot more time there in the near future. I would ship a few percussion revolvers over if I knew of a ready supply of powder. Also, any chance you could set me in the right direction to any secret plinking spots on the island, I am willing to hike if needed! Jay

Blacksmith
10-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Black Powder and plastic don't get along because of static electricity. Bench type powder measures for Black Powder have metal powder reservoirs because of static. All it takes is one stray spark.

Here is the Lyman measure for Black Powder:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/55-classic-baffle-stand.php

weasel 21
10-29-2013, 02:13 AM
I have Kik 2F in plastic bottles that came from the manufacturer in plastic containers.

2010flhrc
10-29-2013, 02:14 AM
abunaitoo, Seems like I have only seen it in metal cans to. Maybe it does not agree with plastic? You would think that if plastic can stand up to smokeless, it would have no problem with black powder. Speaking of black powder, do they sell it in Oahu? I never see it in calif. but I do spend some time in Honolulu and expect to spend alot more time there in the near future. I would ship a few percussion revolvers over if I knew of a ready supply of powder. Also, any chance you could set me in the right direction to any secret plinking spots on the island, I am willing to hike if needed! Jay

None of the shops here sell BP only substitutes. That said it is possible to get if you belong to certain clubs or have a hook up.

DIRT Farmer
10-29-2013, 06:41 AM
The new Goex is now in per their litature "engineered fiber contaniors" (plastic)

ggb3
10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Plastic containers are what they all seem to be moving to. Ordered some "Graf's" branded powder that has a picture of a can on the site, it got here in plastic. On the static part, here is a link to a feller that worked hard to try and set it off with a static spark; could not get it to ignite.

Where static is a big risk, is in the manufacture of black powder. However, it is actually a risk in grain elevators and flour mills too. Anytime you have a fine dust in air, it usually can be ignited, explosively too.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

waksupi
10-29-2013, 09:16 AM
The last half dozen or so cases I have bought have all been in plastic. I use an old refrigerator to store powder.

unclogum bill
10-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Some years back I had a shop fire, took out my reload station. My black powder was stored in a can. I still have it. If it was in a plastic container I would not. If that adds to the discussion , glad to help.

MtGun44
10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
I believe that the Black plastic used in powder bottles has graphite in it to make it conductive
to prevent static buildups.

That said - I'd KEEP IT IN THE ORIGINAL CONTAINERS. If rust is an issue put the cans into
50 cal ammo cans with a dessicant pack.

Bill

Mk42gunner
10-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I believe that the Black plastic used in powder bottles has graphite in it to make it conductive
to prevent static buildups.

That said - I'd KEEP IT IN THE ORIGINAL CONTAINERS. If rust is an issue put the cans into
50 cal ammo cans with a dessicant pack.

Bill

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Robert

abunaitoo
10-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Last I checked, none of the shops on Oahu sell black powder.
Pick up what ever I can find when someone brings some in.
Only place we're suppose to shoot, is at the city range at KoKohead.
I've heard of a person, who owner a large property, that shoots on his land. Other that that, it's "take your chances" out here.

gandydancer
10-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Didn't know where to post this. Just thought this place is as good as any.
I don't like to have metal cans of powder around. They rust here.
I reuse Aliant plastic bottles. Wash them out. Paint the outside with flat white paint. Write what smokeless powder on the outside.
Is it ok to store black powder in plastic bottles?????
Sounds like a no-brainer.
The reason I'm asking is I've never seen black powder in plastic bottles. There must be
a reason.

that's all some black comes in now. http://www.powderinc.com/index.html

jaystuw
10-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Last I checked, none of the shops on Oahu sell black powder.
Pick up what ever I can find when someone brings some in.
Only place we're suppose to shoot, is at the city range at KoKohead.
I've heard of a person, who owner a large property, that shoots on his land. Other that that, it's "take your chances" out here.

Thanks, kind of what I expected, a great place to live but not to good for plinking. jay