PDA

View Full Version : There are good folks still around

starmac
10-28-2013, 10:32 PM
This hunter has luck of the irish.Four years later, Minnesota man gets back hunting jacket and $1,700 inside
Published October 22, 2013
FoxNews.com

After nearly four years, a Minnesota hunter got his hunting jacket, wallet and $1,700 back from another man who had no idea that identification was inside the jacket all this time.

Owen Schipnewski accidentally left his jacket behind during a 2009 goose hunting trip at the Lac qui Parle Wildlife Management Area in northern Minnesota, The West Central Tribune reported.

Enter Trent Jorgenson. Jorgenson says he is not much of a hunter, but he found the jacket alongside a road and tossed it into the back of his pick-up truck, the report said. He said he never bothered to look to see the contents.

"I felt good about it. Made my day probably as much as his."

- Trent Jorgenson

Years passed, and a group of friends invited Jorgenson on another hunting trip, the report said. He needed a waterproof jacket and remembered the one he found alongside the road. He was set to put it in the laundry and decided to inspect its contents, the report said. He stuck his hand inside the jacket’s interior pocket and found Schipnewski's driver’s license, credit cards $20 bills and $100 bills. He called a few numbers to finally be connected to the jacket's owner.

When his friends asked him if he was tempted to keep the cash, he said, "bad karma," the report said. "I felt good about it," Jorgenson said. "Made my day probably as much as his."

Despite a protest, Schipnewski left Jorgenson cash to buy a waterproof jacket of his own.

"It says there's still good people in the world," Schipnewski said.

Bzcraig
10-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks, we need all the good stories we can get all things considered.

1Shirt
10-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Betcha he didn't vote for Obama!
1Shirt!

runfiverun
10-29-2013, 12:37 PM
they are in northern Minnesota that'd be ubetcha he didn't voter for Obama, dontyaknow.

Garyshome
10-29-2013, 12:42 PM
I lost $20.00 the other day, there is still hope!

starmac
10-29-2013, 01:37 PM
My wife left work the other day, and when she stopped found her wallet empty, apparently one of her employees needed to borrow some money, so it goes both ways. lol

TenTea
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
That Trent is good friends with Sven & Ole dontcha know, aye.
Yah, good on him!

pdawg_shooter
10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I found a wallet at a horse track years ago. Didn't count the cash in it but the stack of 100s was better than a 1/4" thick. Got the owners name, looked up a phone number and called him. He said "be right there" and he was. I handed him the wallet, he checked the cash in it, stuck it in his pocket and walked away. No thank you or anything else. My dad asked me if I had learned anything about people that day.

44Vaquero
10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
pdawg, You did the right thing and that's all that really matters in the end! You proved yourself the better man.

waksupi
10-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I found a wallet at a horse track years ago. Didn't count the cash in it but the stack of 100s was better than a 1/4" thick. Got the owners name, looked up a phone number and called him. He said "be right there" and he was. I handed him the wallet, he checked the cash in it, stuck it in his pocket and walked away. No thank you or anything else. My dad asked me if I had learned anything about people that day.

I had similar happen when leaving a restaurant. Found a check book with several hundred in cash, and credit cards. I didn't realize what I had until I got home, as the check book cover was the same as mine, so I had just slipped it in a coat pocket.
I called the restaurant, to see if the owners were looking for it. They hadn't been notified. So, I called the phone # on the checks, down in Butte. Fortunately, the people checked their calls before leaving the valley. We met, and I gave them their property back. They asked if I wanted anything, I just told them to give a donation to the Shriner's Hospital.
I always wondered if they did.

GRUMPA
10-29-2013, 03:57 PM

When I lived in Phoenix I was more of a desert rat than most know. I went to all the popular shooting areas all the time and found someone elses wallet once. So I did what I was taught growing up and found the owner in no time. There wasn't really any money in it more ID type stuff than anything and the owner was tickled to have it back. I found out through the wife since I was at work the person either owned or worked in a restaurant and offered us a free meal which she declined on the spot. I don't know about the rest of the country but if I have something that doesn't belong to me give it to the person that it does belong to. And don't expect to be rewarded for honesty.

starmac
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
LOL It goes both ways. When I was a kid I showed an animal in the Houston livestock show. I guess some of us got bored, so we took a wallet and tied a piece of baling wire to it and threaded it between some bales of stray, and made us a hole to watch through. Most people walking by would stop with their foot on it, and wait until no one was looking before they picked it up. We would then jerk it out of their hand, no one even complained. lol

abunaitoo
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Over here, things have really changed in the last few years.
Something like this might not happen.
It's kind of sad.

starmac
10-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't expect it is the norm, for it to happen in most places.

DIRT Farmer
10-29-2013, 10:26 PM
I found a check book on the ground at a secluded parking spot, Due to knowlage of the indivudal involved, he tried to deny ownership. Might have had to do with the last check.

Bad Water Bill
10-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Last year I found a womans purse in a parking lot. Yes money, c cards,check book the whole thing.

The store mgr took my name etc.

Never even got a post card saying THANK YOU.

I have no idea what it would have cost her to replace even 1/2 of the goodies in there + the cash.

I turned it in because that was the way I was raised. I was also taught how to say THANK YOU

Postalpaul
10-29-2013, 10:59 PM
At a gun show with my kid, he's always been a huge knife fan/collector. Down one of the isles he finds a roll of money. He turned it over to the authorities, his uncle chewed him for a while. My son asked me what I thought, I explained honor/ethics were things that you did when nobody was watching! Also told him I was proud of him!!