PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes Blue Heeler Dogs?

Just Duke
10-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Barbie met her first Blue Heeler a few days ago and fell in love.
These are great dogs for rounding up cattle but also be a great dog for horse camping.
They can keep up with you.
Three sounds like a good combination.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/ACD-blue-spud.jpg/750px-ACD-blue-spud.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTY_gMySuw

Just Duke
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy3Hjc8rq20

freebullet
10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find better dogs. Have a black lab heeler mix, he never wants to be left alone. Wouldn't surprise me if they run 30 miles, they clearly love those kids. Next time givem a ride.

unclogum bill
10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I had one, lost her to a fire in Canada. The breed has an awful lot going for it. They are smart, loyal, not afraid to stand there ground, live long. That said they tend to protect what they consider theirs to protect. I have never seen one go all waggy tail over a stranger and they, and the postman, may not be lovers. Rang a doorbell once to do some service work and one came through the screen teeth flashing. owner stopped him before it got bad. That said , like the man said, hard to find a better dog.

Pb2au
10-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Heelers are fine dogs, but keep in mind they are busy bodies. They like to be gainfully employed, such is their nature. My oldest brother had one and he was a joy, but he simply hated to be in his kennel, and to be bored.
My brother had to quickly learn how to work with him to keep him pointed in a constructive direction. Once he figured that out, it was all smiles. His dog Jack used to "herd" my nieces when they were little'uns. It was quite comical.

Just Duke
10-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Heelers are fine dogs, but keep in mind they are busy bodies. They like to be gainfully employed, such is their nature. My oldest brother had one and he was a joy, but he simply hated to be in his kennel, and to be bored.
My brother had to quickly learn how to work with him to keep him pointed in a constructive direction. Once he figured that out, it was all smiles. His dog Jack used to "herd" my nieces when they were little'uns. It was quite comical.

I hear a fella say one time they would heard ants if they could.

Just Duke
10-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Do they shed much in the winter?

Just Duke
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Were thinking one male and two females that are from different breeders from the male. Kinda like were going to do with Great Piranese.
I want a Mountain Dog for the house. They are snuggly.

fouronesix
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Exactly! Heelers and Border Collies are very similar in nature- EXTREMELY smart and need a job! Plan accordingly. Never had a problem with either but depends on how they are raised- as with any dog. Keep them on a cable or behind a net wire fence where kids or people can tease them and they can turn into junk yard dogs just like any dog. Habituate them to people correctly and they are fine sociable dogs... but never loose their need for work or a job.

crabo
10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
856638566485665Great dogs. All of the herding dogs are great people dogs. Smart! I hate dumb dogs.

fouronesix
10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
For those who haven't seen it, here's an entertaining video clip of Jumpy the dog. Don't know his breed exactly but looks like some kind of Heeler, Border Collie, Aussie mix maybe? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I_QzPLEjM4

Garyshome
10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
85666Ok here is a bad pic of my 2 Daisy & Bentley

Kull
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Love em. Grew up on a cattle ranch so yeah familiar with Heelers and Aussies I am. So smart, so loyal, so tough. Can't say enough good things about the herding breeds but the Heelers, blue or red, are just amazing creatures. I'm looking forward to getting another when the time is right.

I hear a fella say one time they would heard ants if they could.
Don't know about ants but they will herd children into a group, and put them into a corner of the room sometimes. It's interesting and entertaining to watch, and quite useful as well during family gatherings.

DxieLandMan
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
They are great dogs. We had one for our cattle farm. Great to round up cattle and great with the kids.

w5pv
10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
I never owned a Heeler, but I am still partial to the cur type dogs,red black mouth,yellow black mouth.brindle cur,mountain cur and catahula cur.All these dogs will protect you with their lives when necessary.They are very protective of you and family.Very good stock and hunting dogs.

tommag
10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
The owner of a produce shed I used to load at in California used to have one that would watch the trucks back in. If you weren't doing it just right, the dog would nip at your trailer tires to show you which way to push the trailer. It was funny as can be. Long before video cameras, but I sure wish I had some footage of Jack herding the trailers to the dock!
I had an Aussie that would get along with every critter, but would nip the cats as soon as they started to stretch out their front legs to claw the furniture. "We don't allow scratching on the furniture, and I'm here to enforce the law"

Sweetpea
10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
They can be great dogs, but has been said before, they can act like they are on METH!!!

They need something to do, and plenty of room to run.

JSH
10-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Had one for 14 years. Still miss her.
Had acquired a new pup about 3 months before she passed. Different breed though.
A fur and feather dog, German wire haired pointer. She is a darn close match as far as a companion as my old heeler. Both always listened better than the kids lol.
Jeff

gray wolf
10-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Hope you guys don't mind

Old Dogs, Children And Watermelon Wine
written and recorded by Tom T. Hall

G
How old do you think I am he said
C
I said well I didn’t know
D7 C G
He said I turned 65 about 11 months ago

C Am
I was sitting in Miami pouring blended whisky down
C G Am D7 G
When this old grey black gentleman was cleaning up the lounge
G7 C Am
There wasn't any one around but this old man and me
D7 C D7 G
The guy who tended bar was watching ironsides on tv
G7 C Am
Uninvited he sat down and opened up his mind
C G Am D7 G
On old dogs and children and watermelon wine

G7 C Am
Have you ever had a drink of watermelon wine he asked
D7 C D7 G
He told me all about it though I didn't answer back
G7 C Am
Ain't but three things in life that's worth a solitary dime
C G Am D7 G
That's old dogs and children and watermelon wine

G7 C Am
He said women think about themselves when their men-folk aren't around
D7 C D7 G
And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down
G7 C Am
He said I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime
C G Am D7 G
Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine

G7 C Am
He said old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes
D7 C D7 G
God bless little children while they're still too young to hate
G7 C Am
As he moved away I got my pen and copied down that line
C G Am D7 G
On old dogs and children and watermelon wine

G7 C Am
I had to catch a plane up to Atlanta the next day
D7 C D7 G
As I left for my room I saw him picking up my change
G7 C Am
That night I dreamed in peaceful sleep of shady summer times
C G Am D7 G
Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine

RP
10-28-2013, 10:20 PM
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/HUNTING/Blackpowder201110.jpgI have a mix of a red healer and pittbull looks more healer to me. She is a super dog sheds all year and very protective. So protective you don't touch any family member like slapping them on the back if she don't know you very well. She don't bite them but will nose punch them. Also a great guard dog she will pick a spot to keep a eye out on anything that may approach us and let us know if anyone is coming. Also found out she will track deer by the blood trail and even retrieve doves. She is a family member and my boys grew up with her they carried her everywhere. They have moved out since and come get her to spend the night over at their house from time to time. One thing I have heard about this breed is the lose of hearing as they get older is not uncommon and she can not hear very well now days. I fear the day is coming when she will no longer be with us and have started looking another healer for her to train but its hard to find a good dog or replace a great dog.

Idaho Mule
10-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Very good dogs. Mine, Spud is his name, has proved to be better at deer and elk hunting than Salty Dog the Border Collie. One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is "blue dog farts". EVERY one of the blue heelers I have ever been around is a world class farter. They can sure clear a crowded room in a hurry. JW

sundog
10-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Don't mind a bit, Gray Wolf. A great piece of the real Americana!

camaro1st
10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
not a breed better. Have been pals with heelers since my first pal. He was a protector of kids and they could do anything they wanted to him but a adult couldn't as much as get out of the car. You will get used to having eyes on you all the time.

Bzcraig
10-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I have always been fond of German Shepherds till I got a Queensland/German shorthair mix. She worked hard and never got tired. Had more personality than a lot of people, smarter than me and THE most trainable dog ever. She was well behaved/obedient even in my absence. Wasn't a people dog except for her own family. She set the bar so high for another to follow her, I haven't been too anxious to get another and had to put her down bout 10 years ago. Yeah, great dogs. A healer named Skidboot is an internet sensation.

LocoFixer
10-29-2013, 03:36 PM
My wife and I have had three heelers . All of which have been great dogs, I miss the two that have gone and the one that is left holds a very special place in my heart. They are great protectors and even better friends.

Firebricker
10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Mine was a heeler/rott mix and was a great dog. He liked to dig and make himself little burrows to lay in. I always brought him in on really cold night but he would hang out a while and wanted out before long. I let my nephew stay with me a while and I came home one day and found this big kind of ugly dog tied to my house. After a bit

nephew moved on and asked me to keep the dog (Fatboy) till he settled in. A few weeks pass he says uncle I can take Fatboy now I laughed and said No You Can't. So he still jokes about me "stealing" his dog but I claim

abandonment. I guess point being the pure bred healers make a great pet slash working dog but I think even the dogs that are half healer make a darn good dog. Mine had the a lot of the rott size except that little skinny head but most of his personalty was heeler. I sure miss him. FB

10-x
10-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Like most Dogs,many more than their owners. A Dog will never lie to you.

cf5757
10-29-2013, 07:58 PM
HAve a heeler-border collie mix. She will wear your arm out throwing her a Frisbee. She can hit about 28 miles an hour in the 400 feet of fence line down our property. Nothing she loves better than to race an car that drives down the road. Great dog!

Firebricker
10-29-2013, 07:58 PM
10-x, That is true most of the time but I'm pretty sure my dog fibbed about not eating the last piece of deer jerky sitting on the trucks arm rest. LOL

Bzcraig
10-29-2013, 08:11 PM
10-x, That is true most of the time but I'm pretty sure my dog fibbed about not eating the last piece of deer jerky sitting on the trucks arm rest. LOL

Yup, had mine lie about why one of my work gloves kept coming up missing!

MTtimberline
10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
They are very intelligent and although you can find other breeds that are as smart as heelers, I doubt you can find any with as much personality. They are very protective of what is theirs including their family, house and vehicles. I don't feel the need to lock a vehicle in town with the heeler sitting in it. They have more lives than cats with the incidents they can be involved in and survive. A heeler always comes with interesting stories to tell. They can be the most stubborn dog you ever met too. They are pretty much maintenance free as far as grooming goes. They learn as they go and can rarely be fooled more than once. With the personality they have you pretty much forget they are even dogs. We have had almost 13 memorable years with ours and hope to have as many as more as possible.85802

riorider
10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Got a Blue Heeler Jack *** Russel mix slepping next to me right now. I can not so anywhere without him, and yes he does have a little gas from time to time! Had Blues and or Reds for 20 some yrs very good dogs in deed! One yr I kept track of miles on horse back for a riding contest I had almost 300 miles and a Blue and a Red beside all the way.

Idaho Mule
10-29-2013, 10:19 PM
This story shows how smart they can be. We were visiting on a friends porch and her son was throwing sticks for my dog Gila to bring back to him. Then he threw a 2x4 eight feet long out on the grass. Gila balanced it in his mouth and carried it back, but got frustrated when it wouldn't fit up the stairs. So in no time Gila grabs it by the end and brings it up the stairs to the son.
I put a tennis ball on the end of a lead rope and he would lead a horse that way.
I think Gila taught us more then we taught him.

A couple of years ago I saw a coyote come to drink at a pond. I was on a elk hunt watching with my rifle. Something strange about this coyote and I looked at him close in the binoculars. It was near the ranch that Gila came from. This coyote had some of the same features , color, and ears, but the build profile of a coyote. I let him go.

Bill, I was on "workups" one spring, just getting the mules legged up for bear season and had a young coyote bitch present herself quite well to my old Border Collie. It was comical to watch as he "knew what to do" but kept looking at me to see if he should or not. I laughed so hard. Probably should have shot her but I just couldn't. He didn't either, but had a frustrated look for a couple days. JW

John Allen
10-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Here is our blue heeler/bird dog mix 85814

Kull
10-29-2013, 11:01 PM
The oldest dog ever was a heeler named Bluey. Lived 29 years, 6 months and 12 days. Unverified record but that's the story.

There most of been some job that dog felt was unfinished.

jaysouth
10-30-2013, 06:33 AM
My daughter got one from a pound and tried to make a house dog out of it. Bad move. The dog then went to my sister who lives way out in the country. The dog thrives on sleeping outside year round and has 200 acres to 'patrol' and protect. The deer do not eat her shrubs any more, and the ground hogs have moved to the next farm over.

10-x
10-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Well guys, your Dogs knew you did'nt want the jerkey to fall on the ground when the door opened and you most likely needed a new pair of gloves......LOL.Our Grey runs about 40 mph still, been retired almost 3 years.

TheDoctor
10-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Have a heeler-border collie mix. Smartest dog I have ever had the pleasure to have. He thinks he is human. And is smarter than a lot of humans I do know. Very quick, and fast. He can run sideways faster than most dogs can run forward.

thehouseproduct
10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
I also have one. Great dog, very smart, very protective. Makes a great burger alarm. Mine is a big wuss when push comes to shove against our 4 pound cat. Like others have mentioned, they need something to do. My teenage stepson has lost interest in the dog and now he follows my wife around at her heels driving her nuts. He also has a bad skunk chasing habit. 5 sprayings deep now.

KCSO
10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Not bad but poodles are more tender. Coyote is so tough you can't ecven chew it.

SP5315
10-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Smartest breed that I have ever owned. I've owned nothing but heelers since '83. I lost my female, Killer, about six months ago. She was 14 and her heart just gave out. It about killed me to have her put down. My 10 year old male male, Roscoe just hasn't been the same since. My first heeler Tuffie, was a true working dog who was the best I've ever had at cutting cattle. He could cut out a single steer and round it into the stock pen on command. Best damn family dogs we ever have had.

This is Killer after her first and only litter, ten pups.

And Roscoe a couple of months after the pups were born in the middle of the pups toys.

In the next few months I'm going to be looking for another female.

LocoFixersbetterhalf
10-30-2013, 09:42 PM

This is Blue she was one of the 3 heelers locofixer and I have had. We had to put her down because she had cancer. She was my baby.

sljacob
10-30-2013, 11:03 PM
A Blue Healer will be the most loyal dog you will ever own. I have had three pure bred blues and several crossed with who knows what, all of them were great dogs.

The one I have now is a pure bred that my wife rescued from the pound, great dog from the start, she is never more than a few feet away from me day or night and loves to work cattle all though I do not believe she had ever seen a cow until we brought her home.

John Allen
10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree on Heelers being smart. We have both extremes a blue heeler that is super smart and our Lab that still smacks its head into the coffee table pretty much everyday.

Three44s
11-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Oh my ........... dog stories!

We have been blessed with several good dogs on our cattle ranch/hay farm!

My perspective is from actually working cattle.

For herding, I like a border collie for cattle that are easy to work with and tougher situations, I prefer Australian Sheppards.

I think the world of Blue Heelers but they work differently ....... they are more into shock and awe. Teach one cow real well and the rest fall in line.

I would guess you are looking for more of a family dog?

As such a border collie is a wonderful dog ....... ranked the smartest ...... but by far ..... no work KILLS THEM ......... I mean you have not seen obsession to work until you have lived with a border collie.

An Australian can learn to cope with less work ...... but they will really try your patience until they find purpose.

The heelers are more adaptable as well but still fairly hard headed like Aussies.

Myself, ......... I like crosses.

The dog I miss the most ......... Jack ........ was mostly Aussie with a touch of Blue healer and a near miss with Border collie .......

He was the BRASS TAX!

As a pup he nearly drove me over the edge ...... but after he nipped his first heel ......... he was ALL BUSINESS! The finest dog you could ever ask for.

He was the kind of dog that was not into biting people ......... instead he just looked at 'em ........ and they felt bit! No lawyers get fed that way!

Currently, we have a border collie and a cross of 1/2 Blue heeler, 1/4 Aussie and 1/4 Catahoula ........ The collie is a grand herd dog but she needs something to keep her busy brain entertained at ALL times. The second, also a female lives upto all her ancestory like no other dog I have ever seen! Her name is Dixie ..... catching the South and her Catahoula lineage. Did you know you can actually carry on a two way conversation with a Catahoula?

Dixie is as close to a re-incarnation of "Jack" as I'll see in this lifetime.

In short, I think for a family dog you'll be very well served with a Heeler but if you run across a good cross .............. you'll really be blessed!

Good luck and have a great ride!!

Three 44s

Just Duke
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh my ........... dog stories!

We have been blessed with several good dogs on our cattle ranch/hay farm!

My perspective is from actually working cattle.

For herding, I like a border collie for cattle that are easy to work with and tougher situations, I prefer Australian Sheppards.

I think the world of Blue Heelers but they work differently ....... they are more into shock and awe. Teach one cow real well and the rest fall in line.

I would guess you are looking for more of a family dog?

As such a border collie is a wonderful dog ....... ranked the smartest ...... but by far ..... no work KILLS THEM ......... I mean you have not seen obsession to work until you have lived with a border collie.

An Australian can learn to cope with less work ...... but they will really try your patience until they find purpose.

The heelers are more adaptable as well but still fairly hard headed like Aussies.

Myself, ......... I like crosses.

The dog I miss the most ......... Jack ........ was mostly Aussie with a touch of Blue healer and a near miss with Border collie .......

He was the BRASS TAX!

As a pup he nearly drove me over the edge ...... but after he nipped his first heel ......... he was ALL BUSINESS! The finest dog you could ever ask for.

He was the kind of dog that was not into biting people ......... instead he just looked at 'em ........ and they felt bit! No lawyers get fed that way!

Currently, we have a border collie and a cross of 1/2 Blue heeler, 1/4 Aussie and 1/4 Catahoula ........ The collie is a grand herd dog but she needs something to keep her busy brain entertained at ALL times. The second, also a female lives upto all her ancestory like no other dog I have ever seen! Her name is Dixie ..... catching the South and her Catahoula lineage. Did you know you can actually carry on a two way conversation with a Catahoula?

Dixie is as close to a re-incarnation of "Jack" as I'll see in this lifetime.

In short, I think for a family dog you'll be very well served with a Heeler but if you run across a good cross .............. you'll really be blessed!

Good luck and have a great ride!!

Three 44s

Ah Yakima the normal part of Washington.
Thanks for the info sir.

Three44s
11-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Normal? You are being too generous! LOL!

On a brighter note: Mt. Rainer could pop it's top!

I am betting that whatever you pick, it will grow up and do you right. I have a theory that it's more about how you raise your dog and invest in them than what breed it is.

Best regards

Three 44s

bikerbeans
11-02-2013, 08:41 PM
When the fellow that trims and shoes my wife's horses comes to our place he brings his Blue Heeler. The dog and I get along great but my two male Jack Russells don't like that very much. I keep the terriors inside when the heeler visits, I don't want to find out who would win the fight.

BB

Just Duke
03-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Back up for the new guys that like Blue Heelers also.

AlaskanGuy
03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Never a better dog... I miss mine terribly....

Rat man407
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Currently have 2 female and 1 male pure breed smithfeild reds (the ones with the stumppy tail)
and use to have a blue smithfeild cross rottweiler He was the size of a rottweiler but with the musle build of the blue one of the best dogs i have ever owned loyal and very smart and bloody strong

Echo
03-14-2014, 10:03 PM
My son has three mixed-breed heelers. One did his best to herd one of son's horses, and was catapulted tail-over-teacup about 10' in the air. Never tried that again...

.5mv^2
03-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Our dog is a 6 year old Blue Heeler. Great dog, He has an independent streak and is very sensitive. Great dog.

Mumblypeg
03-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Check out my avatar... that is Belle. I buried her Dec 10, 2013. She was a wonderful dog... but aren't they all in one way or another?

Bzcraig
03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I have always been partial to German Shepherds but my last dog, been gone a good 8 years or so, was a Blue/German shorthair mix. She was the best and smartest dog I have ever been around. If we get another dog it'll be a healer.

Gaseous Maximus
03-28-2014, 02:54 AM
This is my first post, my wife and I love blue heelers. Our first one died when she was only four, our fault, liked to have killed us.

Just Duke
03-28-2014, 05:00 AM
This is my first post, my wife and I love blue heelers. Our first one died when she was only four, our fault, liked to have killed us.

Sorry for your loss sir. Welcome aboard though

DLCTEX
03-28-2014, 05:50 AM
I have no use for heelers. Nothing but bad experiences with them, from being a meter reader in the past, having a neighbor's heeler kill my chickens, a neice's mother in law being attacked and almost killed by five of them, and having been bitten twice just for walking near the owner's truck. Give me a German Shepherd any time.