PDA

View Full Version : 450 Lubesizer with RCBS die

sigshooter
10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I have a Lyman 450 lubesizer and have been using it sucessfully with a Lyman .358 die for multiple and single groove Boolits.

I have borrowed a RCBS .452 for my ACP, and so far have only succeded in lubing the bottom face of the boolit. Also the lube seems to squeeze right past the plunger and out the top of the die.

It looks like the center pin may be too small, but I seem to remember hearing that there was some bit of difference between the RCBS and the Lyman dies that needed to be compensated for.

So is there a way that this can be used, or am I SOL until I find a proper die?

Thanks for any input.

SIG

Buzz64
10-27-2013, 11:20 PM
If it coming around the center pin you are SOL. With solid downward pressure on the boolit, you MAY get a little around the base as the Lyman's are slightly beveled but shouldn't be much or certainly not all over the base.

Bad Water Bill
10-28-2013, 04:54 AM
If you are using any type of heater you may have the heater set to high.

If the lube gets to HOT it will flow like water and create a real mess. Yes right past a piston and even the cast boolit.

lancem
10-28-2013, 09:16 AM
My take is that you are not getting lube in the grove right? You probably need to adjust the bottom stop so that the boolet can go further down into the die. Since you are not down far enough you are really cranking the pressure to the lube and it is coming up around the center pin.

Buzz64
10-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Good point, Black Water

Hardcast416taylor
10-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Had a similar problem lubing Lyman 429303 boolets. I was using an RCBS size die in my Lyman 450 luber. I was only getting the bottom groove filled and I was maxing out the depth and lube pressure. I bought a new Lyman size die of the same diameter, 430", and my problem was solved. The answer was the RCBS die has only 1 row of holes for the lube to be pushed thru, the Lyman has 2 rows of holes.Robert

sigshooter
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

My new die is not in yet, so, I was thinking I would turn up a new pin seeing as I thought that the original pin was undersize.

This turned out not to be the case.

After throughly cleaning the die, the pin was a smooth fit with absolutely no play, and I saw that my poor litle lathe and my skills were not going to get a pin to fit like that.

So, I put it back together to look for the real issue. Now there does not seem to be a problem. I think there may have been crud keeping the die from seating in the top nut, or allowing lube to get around the O ring. because, there does not appear to be any lube around the pin. In my frustration, I may have mistaken lube fron under the top nut as lube around the pin.

Or Lancem might have hit this one, the boolit not going deep enough and I was applying too much pressure, so the lube was sneaking around the pin.

It still lubes the bottom of the boolit a bit, but nowhere near what it was before the cleanup.

I think I can run this one until I get my own, which is a good thing, since I have several thousand .45s to get loaded.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

SIG

Bad Water Bill
11-02-2013, 02:57 PM
You are now an addict of a hobby where the learning NEVER stops.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

myg30
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
You might try to put a little foil or cardboard under the boolit as a spacer to keep the lube from getting under the boolit bevel. I read this here some where and you might have to use a new piece every so many boolits but it does work as a filler to keep lube from filling the bevel.
The least amount of pressure to completely lube a boolit is best. Some require a 1/16 turn each boolit and some might need more. If you crank the pressure and expect to lube 5 boolits before you crank again this can cause excess lube.

Mike