PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas or propane

OnceFired
10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey all

I just moved into our rental house about 3 weeks ago. It happens to have what I believe to be a natural gas stub on the back of the house. It's right by the patio so ostensibly it's for a BBQ.

I'd like to consider using this for my turkey fryer smelting sessions. But it's looking pretty rusted and old. Plus I don't know what I'd need to convert my propane fryer regulator etc over to nat gas. Might be easier just to stick with a portable propane tank.

Thoughts?

OnceFired

Hickory
10-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Look in your yard if you find a meter surrounded by two "horseshoe" metal guards on either side, it could very well be natural gas. If there is none the pipe sticking out of your foundation is for propane.
The pipe in the picture looks fine. In any event have it checked out by a qualified technician.

singleshot
10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
If you can hook up to natural gas, do it! You might not have to do anything to "convert" a turkey fryer if you can regulate fuel and air flow. It's cheaper than propane and the price should go down until it starts getting exported over seas. You can always go to propane in 5-7 years if/when NG prices start to spike.

jmort
10-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Natural Gas will be an easy set-up with that stub out. Less energy/heat than propane but it will work just fine.

bangerjim
10-27-2013, 09:32 PM
That tap will be at "house pressure" probably 7-12 inwc.....standard for stoves, water heaters, and dryers. The reg on the side of the house reduces street pressure (normally 60#) to the lower safe pressure for residential consumption.....and NOT enough for your fryer. Stick with propane and much higher adjustable pressure regulators right off the tank.

Bangerjim

shadowcaster
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
That tap will be at "house pressure" probably 7-12 inwc.....standard for stoves, water heaters, and dryers. The reg on the side of the house reduces street pressure (normally 60#) to the lower safe pressure for residential consumption.....and NOT enough for your fryer. Stick with propane and much higher adjustable pressure regulators right off the tank.

Bangerjim

Agreed...

Shad

AlaskanGuy
10-30-2013, 01:51 AM
If you do convert, all it takes is a larger valve hole for the difference in pressure. I do this sort of thing with my propane cooking stove here. It was originally meant for natural gas and all i needed to do was change the valve inside the stove..

ukrifleman
10-30-2013, 02:52 PM
You might also need to change the gas jet on your fryer to get it to work properly.
ukrifleman.

bangerjim
10-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Mod'ing the jets is required. Nat gas has a specific gravity of 0.7 where propane is 1.6.

Propane is much heavier and requires larger orifices. Do not just drill them out as you could get into trouble very fast. Check with either a local propane distributor or the manufacturer of your burner device. My dad was a manager of a propane distribution company and did those conversions all the time.....but knew exactly what he was dong.

banger

Garyshome
10-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Looks like steel to me. Needs to be copper or brass. Don't mix any of the different types of metal. Your gas supplier or company should check it out for FREE! Wise move on your part.

MtGun44
10-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Propane runs at about 12-14 inches of water (pressure) home natural gas is typically about 8 inches of water (pressure). Flow
rates would be very low for propane appliances, they would not work well.

Bill

Ed in North Texas
10-31-2013, 12:57 PM
With Dearborn type heaters I used to take them to the gas company and they would fix the NatGas orifices to LPG with reamers they kept in a desk drawer. Going the other way, the NatGas companies, or appliance retailers, often have appropriate orifice plugs to fix you up.