PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized boolits question

Hawkeye45
10-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I got out some cast boolits for my new Henry big boy that I loaded a few years ago, ok the date on the box was dated Feb '81. They were heavily oxidized the usual dark gray color and frosty looking. I know they are good to shoot. Does anyone have a coating that they have used to prevent this in long term storage?

Mr. Ed

Bret4207
10-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Anything that will exclude air/boolit surface contact will help. An oil or wax, maybe something as generic as vaseline or as exotic as some of the anti corrosion sprays used on high dollar boats would likely work. Storing them in airtight bags with an oxygen inhibitor, I forget what they are called, may help too.

If the appearance bugs you, a quick swipe with 4/0 steel wool will shine them right up and do no damage.

runfiverun
10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
as long as they aren't oxidized white you're good.
if I were gonna store boolits for a long, long time.
I would use my version of 45/45/10 lube it adds a nice coating of alox [rust preventative] and carnuba and wax and bees-wax [oxygen barriers]
it acts like a lubricant too.

Old Dawg
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I tumble all my round balls in JPW just for that reason. I once left a coffee can full under an open window and after it rained I discovered all the ones on top had corroded due to the fine misting. It seems that rain water is naturally acidic.

Green Lizzard
11-01-2013, 03:01 PM
hey run what does the white hurt, i have some old 44-90s that have a white coating on them

shadowcaster
11-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Hawkeye45...
They were heavily oxidized the usual dark gray color and frosty looking. I know they are good to shoot. Does anyone have a coating that they have used to prevent this in long term storage?

+1 on the steel wool followed by some Johnsons paste wax. For loaded rounds.. a quick rub with the steel wool followed by a dab of JPW and you will be good to go. Tumble a pinch of JPW on freshly cast boolits and they stay clean and shiny for a long time.

Shad

runfiverun
11-01-2013, 11:15 PM
the white is an oxide and it is super abrasive.
I don't remember the bhn but it simulates running fine sandpaper down the barrel.

WallyM3
11-01-2013, 11:39 PM
And is quite toxic, IIRC.

mehavey
11-02-2013, 04:29 AM
^+1

Lead oxide.
Very sweet tasting if touched to tongue hence danger to children and animals.

Wipe bullets down with mineral spirits/paper towel to anchor it and wash hands afterward.
No big deal after that

Old Dawg
12-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Lead oxide has a Mohs hardness of 2. It is hard to get much softer. Not likely it is going to wear anything. Pure lead is only 1.5.