PDA

View Full Version : Ingot mold

buster
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Found this at a flea mkt tues morning for 20 bucks, any body know who makes this mold, I have never seen one, it's heavy duty it's 19 lbs empty, and ingots weighs 3lbs apiece.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Looks exactly like the one I use, except my ingots run 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 lbs,(WW) and one handle is broken off. I also bought mine at a trade lot. I'd sure like to get a few more.
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1768.jpg

mtgrs737
11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't know who makes that ingot mould, but I want one! I would think that it would be easy to have a lot made up at a vo-tech school that teaches casting. I have 4 of the aluminum lyman ingot moulds and one lyman cast iron ingot mould and a lee aluminum ingot mould that helps me empty my 80 lb. smelting pot. I have a 4 - 5 lb. steel ladle that I got off of ebay that just fills one of the four ingot moulds. I did 80 lbs of ingots just today.

What size are the ingots in inches from your mould?

jawjaboy
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
That's a good looking mold Buster. I'd like to have one. A friend of mine made these for me in the last week or so, still got one more of them coming. They are 3" channel iron, 6.5" long at the top, tapering to 6" at the bottom.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000438.jpg

buster
11-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't know who makes that ingot mould, but I want one! I would think that it would be easy to have a lot made up at a vo-tech school that teaches casting. I have 4 of the aluminum lyman ingot moulds and one lyman cast iron ingot mould and a lee aluminum ingot mould that helps me empty my 80 lb. smelting pot. I have a 4 - 5 lb. steel ladle that I got off of ebay that just fills one of the four ingot moulds. I did 80 lbs of ingots just today.

What size are the ingots in inches from your mould?

mtgrs The ingots measures 4X2 and 1 3/4 deep

hammerhead357
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
buster, I used to have 4 of the ingot moulds that are in your picture. I was told that they were from an old print shop. I have know way of knowing if that is true or not. I quit using them when I bought 9 old lino-type moulds that cast a pig of alloy that weights about 23 to 25 pounds. Wes

Morgan Astorbilt
11-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Mine casts the same size ingots. I can fit two at a time in my old 11lb. Lyman Mold-Master, and three or four standing up with one across in my Mold-Master XX. A very handy size. Wish I knew the foundry that made them.
I also have a similar mold that casts a dozen 1/2lb ingots with the word Monotype cast into them. Too small in my opinion, I only used it when selling Monotype. With the lead shortage I'm certain is coming, I'm not letting go of any more.
Morgan

hunter64
11-18-2007, 12:22 AM
I have an old cast iron bread loaf form that I use for 25 lb. ingots. They come out looking like a loaf of bread and almost exactly 25 lbs. to the top of the ridge on the inside. I use it for long term storage (hoarding) when I am rendering 200 lbs or more at a time.

buckndee
11-18-2007, 03:32 AM
There was one like buster posted on evil-bay today that I thought about bidding on but the ingot dimension did not fit my storage containers. I still use the RCBS and Lyman ingot molds. I use 30 caliber ammo cans to store my ingots. The 30 caliber cans hold 50 1lb ingots. Have 40 plus cans holding down the loading bench. Just finished 3 days of smelting, filing 23 more cans that should help keep the shed from moving in the next earth quake. If the anti-gun climate gets to bad here in California I am leaving town with all my lead in tow.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-18-2007, 08:48 AM
How was it listed? I couldn't find it this morning. :(
Was it ending yesterday?
Morgan

buckndee
11-18-2007, 05:59 PM
I happen upon ingot mould yesterday about 1PM PST when researching Linotype pricing in the hunting category. Way down at the bottom of the page was additional Linotype listings in all categories with only 24 minutes left on the auction. Buy the time I found a tape measure to check inside dimensions on a 30 caliber ammo can to see if the ingots would fit there was 11 min left on the auction. Did not feel that was enough time to post the information too benefit others on our forum. I usually get very specific when searching evil-bay to cut down on sorting through unrelated trash. So it could pay off to scroll all the way down the page in the future instead of speed searching.

deltaenterprizes
11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Looks like it was a mold for linotype,I have seen them before

MarkK
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
I picked up a couple ingots pictured above at a local auction. Numerous print shop items. I also scored a big 23 lb ingot. Didn't see the mold - nice item. Woud've liked to add that to my equipment. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. MarkK

Salmon-boy
12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm actually about to make some new molds.

I'm currently using the one I made for aluminum ingots made from 12" of 1.5x3 channel. Needless to say if I overpour it's not easy to get into my lee 10lb pot!

Any suggestions on what size to make?