PDA

View Full Version : Dirty bullets?

capt.hollis
10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
This all of a sudden started happening. Getting this smudge dirty look finish on my bullets so I cleaned my pot. Still doing it, anyone know what's causing it ?
Thanks guys .85476

btroj
10-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Frost beginning. I ignore it.

capt.hollis
10-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Frost beginning. I ignore it.this you can wipe off with your finger? Could it be a dirty alloy likewise ?

btroj
10-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Dirty alloy would cause inclusions, little specks of dirt and debris.

Don't fret over it, they will shoot just fine. They are filling out fine, that is key.

Go shoot them.

runfiverun
10-26-2013, 10:26 PM
yep a little frosting it causes the boolit to form antimony on the surface it will generally wipe off.
sometimes it just stays grey and if you look closely it will look like snowflakes piled upon each other.
you can control this happening through mold temperature.

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Just throw it in the tumbler for an hour or so, Then they look like factory stuff.

capt.hollis
10-26-2013, 10:49 PM
I appreciate it . I guess what got me second guessing it was because I have probably cast over 1000 bullets with this mold. It was casting perfectly since day 1, and now all of a sudden this . I had changed my alloy up from a different batch of lead, and figured that was the issue, and maybe didn't flux it enough when I was smelting. I know they shoot just as good as the pretty ones, but I'm a little too picky sometimes , those shiney bullets are addicting for sure, and always try to strive for them , lol.

btroj
10-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Only thing I would watch for is change from shiny to frosted during a run. That can mean weight variation, a problem if you want extreme accuracy.
Tempo is your friend here. Find a tempo that holds a constant mould temp and all is well. Just remember that every mould has a unique tempo.

capt.hollis
10-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Only thing I would watch for is change from shiny to frosted during a run. That can mean weight variation, a problem if you want extreme accuracy.
Tempo is your friend here. Find a tempo that holds a constant mould temp and all is well. Just remember that every mould has a unique tempo.got ya ! Appreciate it.