PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever do something soooo stupid!

KCSO
11-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I just did something so stupid. The end result is that I will be sore all through deer season. I went out today and checked the sights on my Sharps carbine. This is a lightweigh hunting rifle that weigs 7.5 pounds and I shoot it with b/p loads. I fired two at 50 and they were 3" high and centered so I moved back to 100. At the 100 yard line I decided I wanted to shoot with a clean bore so I grabbed a smokless round from my 60 round box and I didn't look at what I grabbed.
I put in an elephant load that was made up for a bolt action Gibb's rifle with a 1" soft rubber recoil pad and a 10 pound weight. The load was a 535 hard cast slug pushed by 48 grains of 3031 powder to 1950 fps. In the Gibbs rifle the recoil is stout to say the least. In a 7 1/2 pound steel butplated carbine the recoil was... tremendous, to say the least. My shoulder is now turning a wonderful shade of purple and as I look in the box I see the magic marker note across the top of the box... hot loads for the Gibb's only! Thank God I didn't decide to take out a trapdoor!

MGySgt
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes - but I survived them and I am too embarassed to admit to them now!

Yours is mild to some of my STUPID things.

Drew

omgb
11-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I once shot a 3.5 inch mag ten guage load from a single barrel Long Tom shotgun. I was laying on my back sky shooting as the geese few over the dike I was laying on. Needless to say, I damn near dislocated my shoulder. The bruise was bad enough to require that I go to the base hospital for treatment. I missed two days of duty and was almost disciplined for it by my commander. I understand stupid, I really do. Welcome to a very well populated club:drinks:

Linstrum
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
YEEEOOOWW!!! Hi, KCSO, That is on par with dropping an armload of bricks on your foot! Boy, you got my sympathy. I know that you should have seen your own warning, but the fact is you didn't.

It is too late now, but a few years back a buddy who is an Air Force paramedic gave me some advice for painful but otherwise minor bruise injuries like that to immediately (within a few minutes) wash with antiseptic wash and then put on a liberal amount of both 1% hydrocortisone cream and Neosporin antibiotic cream over and well beyond the affected area. The way it works is when the body is wounded it releases several kinds of enzymes into the damaged tissue that kill off everything including your own cells in a “carpet bombing” response to prevent infection at all costs. Using the hydrocortisone prevents the body from releasing these highly damaging necrotizing and pain-inducing prostaglandins, histamines, “lysozyme”, and other agents that would normally increase the seriousness of the injury maybe three-fold and thus prevents a lot of further pain and injury to the damaged area. You shouldn't do this when you have a cut or abrasion that leaves an open wound since the cortisone prevents the body from defending itself adequately in these circumstances, but with unbroken skin like your recoil bruise you will be okay unless there is a major infection somewhere else or chemotherapy has been recently used. The key to this working is to get the cortisone on as soon as possible after an injury before all the damaging agents are released into the wound site.

The hydrocortisone and antibiotic preparations come in two forms, cream and ointment. The creams are water soluble and are much faster in action than the water-repelling Vasoline-based ointments. If possible buy the creams whenever you can. The ointments will work but in my experience they are not all that speedy in comparison to cream base skin medications.

I have had bruising type injuries that normally would have given me a big purple bruise the size of an Eisenhower dollar that would have hurt like the dickens but I got cortisone on within a few minutes and the pain and bruise never amounted to much. Of course I could still tell that I dinged myself, but it healed up quickly and never hurt much after the initial moment. I always keep some Neosporin and cortisone cream handy in the shop and first aid kits just for when I ding myself a good one.

I hope you have a speedier recovery than you anticipate. Good luck!

Boz330
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Ran a couple 405s w/ 51gr of 3031 through a #3 Ruger ONCE, ouch I feel your pain.

Linstrum, thanks for that remedy, I'll try to remember that one. Get dinged around the farm all the time. I just need to carry it with me everywhere.

Bob

BruceB
11-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Boy, if we're gonna talk about things that we shouldn't have done, we're going to see some hair-raisers.

One of my "personal bests" was the day I took a DHC Single-Otter floatplane and two pals to a remote diamond-drill site we'd operated during the winter in the NWT. It was now summer, and we needed to get a diesel generator out of the site. My pals were along to provide some muscle for loadiing the generator, and to give them a getaway as well.

On arrival, we found that there was a stash of about a dozen fifty-pound cases of weeping dynamite, meaning it was leaking nitroglycerin and was NOT going to get flown out of there. I decided to detonate it right there. I placed a bunch of blasting caps in one case, scattered around in the box, and then piled the other cases beside and behind the one with the caps.

Backing off a hundred yards, I proceeded to put about 20 rounds of .30-06 through the capped case without effect. Then I tried a .44 Ruger revolver, also without hitting a cap. You wanna see a flinch? Try firing accurately when you fully expect 600 pounds of powder to explode every time you pull the trigger! Giving up on shooting to detonate, I installed a 10-foot fuse and cap in a stick of powder in one case, and lowered it into the pothole lake, about six feet deep at that place on the shoreline. We piled the rest of the cases on top of it, under water, and lit the fuse. Five minutes later, up she went, throwing a column of water and "loons--t" several hundred feet in the air......much of which came down ON THE AIRPLANE, which unfortunately was downwind from the blast.

We then had to wash the aircraft before we could take off, which took a while on such a large-ish machine and having only a bucket and broom for the job. The pilot was not amused. Not one of my brighter moments, I admit....

ron brooks
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Back to the bruises, for a bad bruise try Preperation H. It has an analgisic effect and as we all know from the commericals helps reduce swelling.

Really next time you get a bad bruise try it.

KCSO
11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, my wife says I have the overall qualifications for that cure.

garandsrus
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, are you sighted in now or do you need to fire another one to confirm your zero? :Fire:

John

waksupi
11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
That should work just fine on those whitetails!

MT Gianni
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
First gun related stupid thing I did was at the age of 11. I was in the habit of shooting bb's in my benjamin 177 for economy. They would roll out if not pointed up so I was saving my ammo rolling it out into my palm. The gun went pop I went ouch and ended up with a bleeding palm. I could not find the bb and not wanting to let my folks know how stupid I was I kept it to my self while watching for red streaks to run up my arm. It never happened and I wish I had learned a life long lesson but those are other stories.
I hope it printed OK for ya KSCO.
Gianni

Linstrum
11-08-2007, 01:28 AM
KCSO, what model Sharps was that in?

White tails huh? Heh, Heh, Heh! I seem to recall that Preparation H is white. KCSO's load would have given them a case of the 'rhoids fer sure!

Has anybody tried Preparation H as a case sizing lube? It used to have shark oil in it, maybe it still does. Hmmm, kind of expensive, though. When I was staying with my aunt a few years back over near Tularosa, New Mexico, I wanted to resize some 8x57 cases but didn't have any regular case lube, Brill Cream, lanolin, or other stuff that will work for case lube in a pinch so I used some of Auntie's "Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme for hands and face" and it was great. Delicious, too, since it smelled just like a Cup O' Gold candy bar. I did wash the dies out with boiling water to keep them from rusting since some of these cosmetics that work great in a pinch have salt or acids in them that will damage finely finished steel if not careful.

Like Ron Brooks mentioned about using Preparation H for other things, I have used Preparation H for chapped lips and it works as good or better than Chap-Stik! Yeah, it would work for bruises, too, and if that is what is available when you whack your thumb http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.gif a good one, use it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon14.gif The old "any port in a storm" type thing. But better yet is to use the cortisone and antibiotic cream together with Preparation H for its intended purpose, that I have used and it works fast, same as for dings and bruises above the belt with the added analgesic properties for pains below the belt. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon7.gif There are a lot of things out there that will "cross reference" like that.

obssd1958
11-08-2007, 01:56 AM
"Has anybody tried Preparation H as a case sizing lube? "

Is that how you make .270's from 30-06??[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Sorry - couldn't resist!:-D

Don

StrawHat
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
I put in an elephant load that was made up for a bolt action Gibb's rifle ... I look in the box I see the magic marker note across the top of the box... hot loads for the Gibb's only! Thank God I didn't decide to take out a trapdoor!

I almost had the same thing happen. I don't recall if it was my trapdoor or rolling block.

Had it and a Siamese out at the same time. Shooting partner only knew they were both 45-70s. My "foolproof" system of handloads wasn't! The mistake was caught before a trigger was pulled.

That is what caused me to rethink my loading habits and caused me to go to different cartridges for more power rather than cranking up one cartridge to multi levels.

Since then I have really come to appreciate the 45-70 for what it is at it's origianal loadings. If I want more, I will get a 450 Marlin or a 458 Magnum but for me the 45-70 can do it all

With a bigger cartridge, loading down is no problem (safety wise) but loading up a smaller one can be dangerous.

Sorry for the rambling, read what you like and disregard the rest.

Boz330
11-08-2007, 10:48 AM
KCSO, what model Sharps was that in?

White tails huh? Heh, Heh, Heh! I seem to recall that Preparation H is white. KCSO's load would have given them a case of the 'rhoids fer sure!

Has anybody tried Preparation H as a case sizing lube? It used to have shark oil in it, maybe it still does. Hmmm, kind of expensive, though. When I was staying with my aunt a few years back over near Tularosa, New Mexico, I wanted to resize some 8x57 cases but didn't have any regular case lube, Brill Cream, lanolin, or other stuff that will work for case lube in a pinch so I used some of Auntie's "Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme for hands and face" and it was great. Delicious, too, since it smelled just like a Cup O' Gold candy bar. I did wash the dies out with boiling water to keep them from rusting since some of these cosmetics that work great in a pinch have salt or acids in them that will damage finely finished steel if not careful.

Like Ron Brooks mentioned about using Preparation H for other things, I have used Preparation H for chapped lips and it works as good or better than Chap-Stik! Yeah, it would work for bruises, too, and if that is what is available when you whack your thumb http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon13.gif a good one, use it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon14.gif The old "any port in a storm" type thing. But better yet is to use the cortisone and antibiotic cream together with Preparation H for its intended purpose, that I have used and it works fast, same as for dings and bruises above the belt with the added analgesic properties for pains below the belt. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon7.gif There are a lot of things out there that will "cross reference" like that.

Chapstick huh? Don't forget to take off the applicator[smilie=1:

YEH! I couldn't resist either.:mrgreen:

Bob

omgb
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Prep H is primarily zinc oxide in a mineral oil base. Striaght old zinc oxide works as well for both chapped lips and piles. That's my $.02

KCSO
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Sharps cavalry carbine 22" bbl iron buttplate 7.5 pounds loaded.

oneokie
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
This is starting to get Anal.

AkMike
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
There's a gent over at AR that accidently touched off both barrels on a .577 Nitro Express. It flew out of his hands and hit another guy before falling to the ground. Needless to say this is a $pendy almost new rifle.

omgb
11-09-2007, 01:46 PM
There's a gent over at AR that accidently touched off both barrels on a .577 Nitro Express. It flew out of his hands and hit another guy before falling to the ground. Needless to say this is a $pendy almost new rifle.

Yes, and he managed to repair all of the dings and scratches by rubbing Prep H on them [smilie=1:

JMax
11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
First round out of my Lathai 20mm anti tank gun prior to 68 ripped my left index finger to shreds. My two cousins thought it was very funny. Ejection was out the bottom where my hand was located. I still have the scars and memories. These things do happen and we all learn from them.

45nut
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
That must have been an impressive piece. Having read John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" a few times now really makes me wish such was available to me nowadays.

Anyone that has not read that and would like to send me a pm.

spurrit
11-14-2007, 01:23 AM
That must have been an impressive piece. Having read John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" a few times now really makes me wish such was available to me nowadays.

Anyone that has not read that and would like to send me a pm.

If you have a copy to loan, I'd sure like to borrow it.

Linstrum
11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Hi, spurrit, the book is not printed on paper, it is in digital format as a pdf computer file. If you have the free pdf Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer and a place to get emails you can get the book that way. Send 45nut a Private Message (pm) to see about getting it.

spurrit
11-19-2007, 03:36 AM
Actually, the book IS available in print. 45 sent me the PDF, though, and I plan to read it as soon as I can get the 40 lbs. of snot out of my sinuses.

45nut
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, there are certainly many copies in print,, BUT NOT ENOUGH for every man and woman to read it as I wish they would. It is certain to educate anyone.