PDA

View Full Version : Choices, choices

Bret4207
08-24-2005, 08:12 PM
So I made the mistake (?) of stopping by the gunny store today. Had a long chat with the boys. In between lies I noticed a 4" Ruger Security Six in the case. Ooooohhh, I like it. I can picture it with a lanyard ring in a flap holster doing fencing duty. Wouldn't want to take my Smith 19 or the 28 our in that nasty enviroment. Then I spot a Contender. Now I foolishly sold my Dads Contender years ago, so naturally I'm trying to replace it with a similar model, like the one in the case. This ones got a 30WCF 10" barrel and a freaking Tasco Pro Point red dot on it. "I hate red dots" I sez to meself. The I figure out how to turn it on and takes a peek through and sez, "Hey, I bet that would be pretty easy to hit with, lots more better than irons with my tired eyes". Now I don't really want a 30WCF in a Contender, no, I want a 35 Remington and maybe a 22 Hornet. So I start looking through the barrels he has. Oopsie,whats this... 357 Max!! Way cool and will work with everything from 38 Spec range stuff up to 357 Max moose stompin, bear whumpin, wrist breakin imitation 35 Whelen loads. Oh and right next to it is the one barrel my Dad always lusted after but never got on account of hey was even cheaper than me- 256 Win Mag. Oh yeah!!!... and I bought both models of the 25 DJ 6 banger Lee. Greed, lust, droool. Naturally about this the owner says "Hey, take a look at this and quit drooling on the guns over there". Ever hold a Webley Mk3 455???? Ever try to actually get yer mitt to let go of one once ya gets ahold of it? It was touch and go but I gutted up the courage and didn't run from the store with the gun in my hand intending never to return with any form of payment. Noble of me, huh?

Now, consider for a moment that I already owe this guy for a backhoe, another Savage 23 25WCF with period correct Weaver scope and that I'm supposed to buy a truck for my son and finish renovating the bathroom. I gotta spend $429.99 on shock collars for the beagles and rabies are coming due again. A section of the barn needs roofing, the heads need to come off the 811B Case and get a valve job, I'm suppsed to buy a broken AC garden tractor from a buddy and a Ski Doo from another guy (He's been waiting over a year), my wifes Explorer needs some freakin control thingy that runs the 4WD or at least keeps the "4WD High" light from flashing, I need at least 2 hogs and a collar for one of my Percherons. Jumps got a M-39 I want, the recoil in screwed up on my 1958 Johnson 18 hp outboard, winters coming, fuels high, raise is nowhere near here yet, and I gotta pay some lady to freeze the skin cancer off my nose. With all this in mind I did what any man would do- I walked away. Not what you thought I'd say, is it? But, I did ask for some prices. If they actually give me some prices, (this is one of those places where you ask for a price and you get it maybe 2-3 years later. "Hurry" ain't in their vocabulary) then I'm in trouble.

waksupi
08-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Bret, you did better than I am able to. I can resist anything, except temptation.

Scrounger
08-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Tpr. Bret, What's your package there, 15K or 20 K for the backhoe and other stuff? What's another K for a couple of good guns? Seriously, owning a Contender frame means you can get any caliber you want to play with for $150. If you only buy one, that's the one. Instead of that Security Six, take a looh at this GP 100 on Auction Arms.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6901625

Super Pawn is the owner, check out their other nice toys.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?&ad=SuperPawn

waksupi
08-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Scrounger, something tells me, you and I aren't the best support group, for a guy trying to not buy guns!

nighthunter
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Good to see ya again Tpr. Hope the cath thingy went ok. ( I've been doing mostly traveling work since the middle of May ) You mighta made it out for now but I bet ya stop in to see iffin they mighta figgered out a price yet.
Ahhhhhh .... give 'em a day or two and it might be a little lower. The wife will surely understand then.
Nighthunter

Frank46
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Trooper, been wanting a contender for quite some time. But haven't yet had the bucks. Lotsa bbls out there. Here in louisiana they seem to come and go. Some gun shows they are all over the place and then nothing. You are made of a lot stronger stuff than me thats for sure. Go buy the darned thing. Life's too short. There I done gave you a reason for you to rush out and spend to your hearts content. So iffen the better half complains, tell her frank said its ok. What the heck, I'm so used to getting yelled at for stuff that I didn't do that one more isn't going to hurt. Frank

buck1
08-25-2005, 12:42 AM
There will always be five places for every $.
TCs can be found cheep sometimes, keep looking and tell youself they are common and I will find the right one at the right price at the right time soon enugh!
Not to mention : reloading dies,brass,molds,powder, top punches, sizing dies ETC,ETC.....
Or .................make some partial payments on the bills and buy the thing!
:0
........Buck

Buckshot
08-25-2005, 01:43 AM
.........Bret, do whatever the thing is that will bring a smile to your face and light up your heart (for however long it lasts).

...........Buckshot

Leftoverdj
08-25-2005, 02:53 AM
Ain't a nice Savage 23 enough happiness for a spell?

Bret4207
08-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Thank you Emmett, you're my only backer so far! Youse udder gize ain't helpin'!!!!! Jeeze, and I was so proud of myself fer a whole minute or 2 there.

waksupi
08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Bret, just think of us as your wives. We just want what will make you happy!

Bret4207
08-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Waksupi- I hope this isn't headed back towards the stuff we talked about when Buchshot had pictures of me swimmin' in brass running through his head! I WLL NOT think of you guys as my wife(s) thank you very much. Instead I will think of you as my ne're do well cousins, the ones my mother won't discuss in front of the church ladies. Thank you for your support.

moodyholler
08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey i've got two 23's, one 22lr and another in 25wcf! It has a Lyman Jr target spot on it and the cool factor is high!!!!! moodyholler

waksupi
08-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Waksupi- I hope this isn't headed back towards the stuff we talked about when Buchshot had pictures of me swimmin' in brass running through his head! I WLL NOT think of you guys as my wife(s) thank you very much. Instead I will think of you as my ne're do well cousins, the ones my mother won't discuss in front of the church ladies. Thank you for your support.

Oh, My Gawd, I'd forgot about that. Now it's back in my head.

NononononononooOutoutoutoutnananananananaaaaa

Ok, it's fading again.

Proud to be considered a cousin. Next time we all get together, we'll all show each other our tooth, and find out if anyone has married thier sister.

Bret4207
08-26-2005, 07:49 PM
23's are great rifles. Too bad something similar isn't available today. I have 1- 32WCF and this one will make 2- 25 WCFS. Still have to get a 22 and 22 Hornet. I have a Winchester 43 in 218 Bee but I'd really rather have the 23 in the Hornet.

That Contender is looking better the more I think about it.

BTW- If Mom and Dad get divorced, will they still be brother and sister?

KYCaster
08-26-2005, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE
BTW- If Mom and Dad get divorced, will they still be brother and sister?[/QUOTE]

Only in KY and WV. About five or six years ago our Enlightened Leglislature made it legal to marry your first cousin. Now I don't have to go outside the family to get a date.

wills
08-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Only in KY and WV. About five or six years ago our Enlightened Leglislature made it legal to marry your first cousin. Now I don't have to go outside the family to get a date.

So people go to family reunions to meet women.

Scrounger
08-26-2005, 10:49 PM
23's are great rifles. Too bad something similar isn't available today. I have 1- 32WCF and this one will make 2- 25 WCFS. Still have to get a 22 and 22 Hornet. I have a Winchester 43 in 218 Bee but I'd really rather have the 23 in the Hornet.

That Contender is looking better the more I think about it.

BTW- If Mom and Dad get divorced, will they still be brother and sister?

I didn't know your family was from Texas...