PDA

View Full Version : Should I be sizing Lee TL158-358-2R cast boolits

lental
10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Richard Lee says in his book that it's usually not necessary to size their tumble lube bullets. I've cast a bunch of the Lee TL158-358-2R boolits for .38 Special and .357 Magnum and I'm finding a lot of shavings when I'm seating the bullets which indicates to me that the cases are doing the sizing.

That makes me worry that if the bullets are seated too tightly, I may be getting more pressure than I need. Specs say the boolit ought to be .358 in diameter and I'm using a Lee powder with Expander die which should open the cases enough for the boolit but they don't slip in the case mouth, they sit on top though they seat fairly easily. The actual cast size is .360 which makes me think they ought to be sized.

But since Richard Lee says they don't need to be sized and that's repeated in the mold instructions, I wonder what I should be doing. I need advice. Thanks.

Len

aspangler
10-25-2013, 11:10 PM
I use the swc version of that boolit and I size ALL mine to 358. Lube, size, and lube again. I have no trouble with my loads as long as the case mouth is "belled" enough to allow the base of the boolit to start about 1/16 inch or so.

lental
10-26-2013, 02:00 AM
That's what I figured. Wonder why Lee says they don't need to be sized?

Also another question. Why Lube, size and lube again? Why not just size and lube?

Thanks

Len

rintinglen
10-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Lee made a lot of claims to sell his stuff. For just plinking, you may not need to size 'em, but if accuracy is your goal, round boolits of a known and consistent size are your friend.

Rusty Shackleford
10-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Try a little more depth on your expander. All I use are TL type molds so I won't have to size. No target competition here, just lots of no fuss, cheap but reliable handgun ammo.

500MAG
10-26-2013, 09:08 AM
When I first started casting I went a while before sizing any of my revolver boolits and never had any issues with leading or accuracy. Simply said, I was lucky enough that the 358 and 429 moulds were dropping a good size for my 44 mag and 357. You can slug your barrel or just determine from any barrel leading and your target groupings whether it's necessary for you.

runfiverun
10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
lental.
read Richard lee's book.
now look at it from the outsiders point of view and reject the grandiose self promotion.
okay, now you are ready to fix the reloading problem you have.

aspangler
10-26-2013, 09:57 AM
That's what I figured. Wonder why Lee says they don't need to be sized?

Also another question. Why Lube, size and lube again? Why not just size and lube?

Thanks

Len

Pushing an unlubed boolit thru a sizer is a good way to lead the sizer. Lube then size then lube again because the sizer will take a LOT of the lube off the boolit.

ipijohn
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Pushing an unlubed boolit thru a sizer is a good way to lead the sizer. Lube then size then lube again because the sizer will take a LOT of the lube off the boolit.

Wonder where this "lot of lube" goes? I'm thinking it goes down into the grooves, because that is what happens to mine!

jmort
10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Lot of people shooting the TLs as cast. Some do and some don't. In the end, if you need to size to make it work for you, then size it to fit your firearm. I find I can shoot the Lee TL158-358-2R as cast, and the wadcutter 148 grain TL as well. I have a TL mold from Accurate that I can shoot as cast.

lental
10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Good tips and info from everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I've got a sizer on the way but I'm gonna finish 50 of the 100 I have ready by expanding the case mouth a little more and see how that batch shoots. Then, after the sizer gets here, I'll size the remaining 50 and shoot them. Since I'm looking for accuracy, I should have an indication as to what works best as related to sizing. If I don't see any difference, then I will slug the barrel. I'm loading 4.7 grains of W231 which some here have said provides them with excellence accuracy. And, I also want to try some Bulleye loads. I really prefer the W231 because it burns cleaner and seems to meter more accurately than Bulleye but I've got five pounds of Bulleye and only two of W231.

I understand how lubing before sizing could help prevent leading, but I just cleaned my .38 Super .355 sizing die which has always been fed lubed boolits and it was full of gunked up lube and lead shavings. Since the sizer is cutting through the lube down to the bare lead, it's hard for me to understand how the lube would prevent leading. And the lube itself really does gunk up the sizer. I went the lube, size, lube route because that's what the instructions said to do and I've been doing that for 30 years with the .38 Super. Has anyone tried sizing and lubing without the extra first step? If so, what kind leading problems did you run into?

Runfiverun--Since Lee's instructions say to lube-size-lube, you reckon it might be just to sell a little more Lee liquid alox? I bought an extra bottle with the sizer so I can use it to make up another batch of Molly's 45/45/10 lube which I tried and really like.

This discussion has been really helpful and I thank all of you for your comments.

JWFilips
10-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I have used the Lee .358-158TL mould a lot & have found no need to resize for any .38 Spec or .357 Mag S&W guns I own ...I also beagle this mould with one strip per side, w/ alum beagle tape and easily shoot these in my .38 S&W Terrier unsized .... All lubed in Recluse's 45/45/10 tumble lube...... For what it is worth A tumble lube boolit doesn't need re-sizing unless you bought the wrong mould for your gun. Oh yeah forgot to mention I'm shooting an alloy of 50 WW/ 50% Pure lead + add'l 2% more tin for all. That alloy mix works like a dream for all my hand guns

aspangler
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
I tried the size before lube and after about 100 rounds, had to use Chore Boy to remove the lead so I could use the sizer. After about 500 rounds I just use a rag around a dowel soaked with mineral spirits to clean the gunk out and go back to sizing. Only takes a minute and work for me. To each his own.

62chevy
10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Runfiverun--Since Lee's instructions say to lube-size-lube, you reckon it might be just to sell a little more Lee liquid alox? I bought an extra bottle with the sizer so I can use it to make up another batch of Molly's 45/45/10 lube which I tried and really like.

This discussion has been really helpful and I thank all of you for your comments.

Try it both ways and see what happens. I don't size but then I'm not looking for any trophies either as long as I'm in the black I'm happy.

Shiloh
10-26-2013, 06:13 PM
I size all mine for consistency. My LEE .358 push thru sizer, is around .3584

Shiloh

Airman Basic
10-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I've tried a quick spritz of wd40 on my as cast bullets before sizing. Just a light pass over a batch. Slicks up the sizer and doesn't leave a mess in the sizer. Then I lube them. Seems to work well. Any light spray oil would probably work, maybe case lube.