PDA

View Full Version : my new ride

arjacobson
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
85371 Honda grom 125 cc's of power. 130 mpg....58 mph with my fat butt on it. Before I am slammed for riding this.....I have ridden bikes for 39 years. I have drag raced gsxr's and have a custom 1990 gsxr with a 1200 bandit engine that goes like a rocket... I have a totally custom built up street legal Honda zb clone that does over 80mph.. THIS is a FUN bike!!! Fuel injected.. I wonder what it would do with a turbo and a big bore kit.......

Artful
10-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Interesting, how much does it weigh?

arjacobson
10-26-2013, 10:31 PM
225 lbs fully loaded with fluids.

W.R.Buchanan
10-26-2013, 10:35 PM
What Diameter are the wheels and tires? Trying to get an idea how big this thing is? Is it like a Pit Bike or is it more like a Pocket bike?

I haven't seen any pocket racers with 125 cc engines. most are only 50 cc's.

I need more information.

Randy

Artful
10-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Ha, found it.
http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/attachments/395d1372192656-groms-girls-honda-grom-girl2.jpg
http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/attachments/396d1372192658-groms-girls-honda-grom-girl3.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w46/cyrenus/2014-Honda-Grom_zpsb75bf1ea.jpg
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx

Specifications
ENGINE
Engine Type 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore And Stroke 52.4mm x 57.9mm
Compression Ratio 9.3:1
Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
Ignition Electronic
Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Four-speed
Final Drive Chain
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 31mm inverted fork; 3.9 inches travel
Rear Suspension Single shock with steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 inches travel
Front Brake Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single piston caliper
Front Tire 120/70-12
Rear Tire 130/70-12
DIMENSIONS
Rake 25°
Trail 81mm (3.2 inches)
Wheelbase 47.2 inches
Seat Height 29.7 inches
Fuel Capacity 1.45 gallons
Curb Weight 225 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
OTHER
Model Id Grom125
Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available Colors Metallic Black, Pearl Red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwGdUBjupE

http://www.gromforum.com/

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Looks good for getting around town cheap! The trunk is kind of small though.

Garyshome
10-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Does it need a plate/insurance? what's the cost?

grumman581
10-26-2013, 10:53 PM
So, it's a step up from a scooter. I could see that size being popular in Europe. Last time I was over there, it seemed like everyone had a scooter since there was no place to park on the streets and the scooters could hop the curbs and park on the sidewalk.

I owned a Yamaha Enduro 175 back in the late 1970s before I moved up to street bikes. Even though I just used it around town, if an 18-wheeler passed you, it blew you all over the road. If there was any headwind, you would be lucky to get up to 55 mph. I don't think I could go for a bike this small unless it was for some sort of specialized use like trying to put it in the back of a plane on on a boat for when you're sailing the Caribbean. The dirt bike I have these days is Yamaha TTR250 and that's about as small of a bike as I want to be on. My small street bike is a Kawasaki ZX600E ("Ninja 600"). Compared to my Harley, it's a very light bike.

Artful
10-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Does it need a plate/insurance? what's the cost?
If you want to ride on the road in AZ it needs plate/insurance...

$3K or whatever the stealership can get out of you.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/09/21/honda-grom-is-a-hit-but-should-you-buy-it.aspx

arjacobson
10-26-2013, 11:40 PM
My cost out the door with tax title and license was $3214. Insurance for the year is like $47. The bike isn't broken in yet but I went 94 miles and refilled the tank...It cost $2.68....heheheheh

arjacobson
10-26-2013, 11:44 PM
What Diameter are the wheels and tires? Trying to get an idea how big this thing is? Is it like a Pit Bike or is it more like a Pocket bike?

I haven't seen any pocket racers with 125 cc engines. most are only 50 cc's.

I need more information.

Randy 12" wheels. The engine is based on the old Honda 50-70's but upgraded. I THINK it is a Honda wave engine actually. My street legal pitbike is 146 cc's built to the gills. Honda nsr 110 wheels-High compression piston-big valve head-etcetcetc. The grom is midsized and very fun to buzz around town.

waksupi
10-26-2013, 11:59 PM
225 lbs fully loaded with fluids.

Me too! What a coincidence!

arjacobson
10-27-2013, 12:24 AM
hehehe.. NO the bike...LOL

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Kinda small for me. I'm 6'9" and my Suzuki DR200 four stroke was as small as I would want. That was a good bike though. 6 speed and topped out it would do about 75-80. I rode the **** out of that bike litterally. I could run it to town (I took the mirrors and all that off and just drove it off-road) witch was close to 80 miles round trip for about $4. I ended up blowin it up trying to take it through some mud thy was deeper them the bike was tall.

grumman581
10-27-2013, 12:47 AM
My cost out the door with tax title and license was $3214. Insurance for the year is like $47. The bike isn't broken in yet but I went 94 miles and refilled the tank...It cost $2.68....heheheheh

Having driven across country on a Kawasaki 750cc bike that pretty much required you to aggressively start looking for a gas station at the 100 mile point, I can definitely say that it is NOT a fun way to go (even though it at least could get up to highway speeds).

grumman581
10-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Kinda small for me. I'm 6'9" and my Suzuki DR200 four stroke was as small as I would want. That was a good bike though. 6 speed and topped out it would do about 75-80. I rode the **** out of that bike litterally. I could run it to town (I took the mirrors and all that off and just drove it off-road) witch was close to 80 miles round trip for about $4. I ended up blowin it up trying to take it through some mud thy was deeper them the bike was tall.

You would have no problem with my Yamaha TTR250 then. When I ride it on the street, I have to hang off one side when I stop in order for a foot to be able to touch the ground. If I have my full weight on the seat, the springs compress enough that my toes can touch the ground.

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2013, 12:52 AM
You would have no problem with my Yamaha TTR250 then. When I ride it on the street, I have to hang off one side when I stop in order for a foot to be able to touch the ground. If I have my full weight on the seat, the springs compress enough that my toes can touch the ground.

I have actually looked at a few of the newer Yamaha bikes, and like the YZ250F. It's the tallest bike they make and i still have no problems touching the ground. But I'm kinda broke for the 6000 something price tag.

grumman581
10-27-2013, 12:58 AM
I have actually looked at a few of the newer Yamaha bikes, and like the YZ250F. It's the tallest bike they make and i still have no problems touching the ground. But I'm kinda broke for the 6000 something price tag.

What about the YZ400? I think the seat height is 38.5"

There's just not that many people who are your height (6'9"), so it's quite possible that none of the motorcycle manufacturers are going to make one that large since the potential market is rather small.

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2013, 01:34 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the 400/450. I took a 450 over backwards trying to show off to a hot chick on the school bus when I was about 16. 250 is still pleanty to hurt myself on.

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
The engine looks like the CT90/110/125 engine. The bike looks like a smaller Super Motad bike. I just talked to one of my lifelong motorcycle buddies and he said there is a waiting list a mile long here in CA for the GROM. Everybody wants one.

Leave it to Honda to come up with something like this and you can bet Yamaha and Suzuki and Kawasaki already have similar bikes in the works.

The motor is from the Super 90 family with FI and Electric Start. I have a 1968 CT 90 that came as a bonus with my wife when I got her.

Many people don't realize that the CT 90 and it's variants are the most produced transportation machines in history. Numbers are well over 20 million produced, surpassing even the VW Bug and the model T. Except for displacement and exterior upgrades the engine is essentially unchanged thruout the entire history of the machine.

The Z50 and CT70 engines were a smaller variant based on the S65 engine. The hotrod thing to do to a Z50, if you can afford one, is to replace the head barrel and piston with an S65 top end which immediately increases the power from 2 hp. to 6.5hp. This is a big jump for a mini bike.

My first real job was as a mechanic at Honda Ventura in 1968-9.

You done good!

Randy

seagiant
10-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the 400/450. I took a 450 over backwards trying to show off to a hot chick on the school bus when I was about 16. 250 is still pleanty to hurt myself on.

Hi BJ,
I'm 6'8" and 275. I always like smooth running sport bikes. This is my latest and fits me like a tee and could care less how big you are, just treats you like the adrenalin junky that you are!

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi BJ,
I'm 6'8" and 275. I always like smooth running sport bikes. This is my latest and fits me like a tee and could care less how big you are, just treats you like the adrenalin junky that you are!

I'm only about 225. I have honestly never liked that style bike I'm more into off road so if I can't take it up the of that mountain It doesn't flick on my light switch. That is a nice looking bike though.

seagiant
10-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi,
I grew up in S. Georgia on the farm and had a Super Honda 90 when I was about 13. Would of been better off with an Hodaka or Bultaco dirt bike as I was always on dirt roads as of course I had no license! Have to admit though that the little Honda took the worst a kid could give it and kept on going. Gave me an appreciation of Japanese bikes and I still use lessons I learned on that little Honda with the big Kawi 1400 I have now!

W.R.Buchanan
10-29-2013, 02:52 PM
The Super 90's were one of the best motorcycles Honda ever made. They morphed well into dirt bikes, and our local Dirt track (Bay Mare) saw lots of them.

A company named "Poweroll Performance" made a big bore kit that bumped the displacement to 133 CC's Power was pushing 15 HP with that kit, and I installed several of them in local race bikes when I worked at Honda Ventura. It was about a 1 hour job to do a top end on a S90. Needless to say it was a night and day difference from the stock 9 hp. You also had to have a huge Megaphone exhaust which made the thing absolutely brain deafening, thus killing it's street use for good.

Top speed on a street bike was an honest 60mph, but since the dirt bikes usually were geared down, the big bore kit only increased your acceleration, and did nothing for the top speed..

I loved those machines, but I loved my Hodaka 90 more. I built it from a wreck we got in at the shop I paid $50 for. It had Roher Bros 6" travel Front Forks and 19" front wheel and a 17" rear wheel and Koni shocks. I painted the frame black and with the chromed gas tank it was a quite handsome little bike. With the wide open expansion chamber exhaust pipe which was common practice at the time, it would rattle the fillings in your teeth!

My mother hated this machine vehemently as did all of the neighbors, and I can't imagine why?

There was one specific incident where she was yelling at me and I ran out of the house into the garage, hopped on the bike, fired it, spun a half donut, and aimed the pipe at the back door. She came out screaming obscenities at me, and I just sat there with the pipe pointed strait at her revving the engine up and down blowing castor oiled exhaust in her face. I then dropped the clutch and burned out of the garage, ripping up the street away to my riding grounds above our housing tract.

It looked like her head was going to explode, just as I dropped the clutch!

WE were not on the best of terms at that time as she was going thru the change and was pretty abrasive most of the time, and in all fairness, I was pretty much a little arsehole at the time anyway.

I had to go into the Air Force shortly after that episode. It was 1969 and things were good except for that draft thing going on that I got caught up in.

Some of my fondest memories are from that time. I'm sure others can relate.

Randy

seagiant
10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Randy,
Wow! Nice story! I never would of thought that about the Honda S90! I pretty much turned it into a dirt bike because it was the only one I had! Probably more like a flat tracker as I burned up the dirt roads in three countys at that time. Then you could probably drive from Valdosta to Atlanta on dirt roads! Not now.

Never heard of that rebuild kit, would of been nice though at the time. I had some great times on that bike and will never forget it!

Speedo66
11-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Friend recently got a Grom, and I was able to test ride it. My little bike is a Yamaha XT225 dual sport (enduro for us older guys), and the Grom made it feel like an open class race bike. Fuel injection or not, it's fun, but doesn't make much power. When a 225 runs away from you, you're not making much power.

I bought a Honda Trail 90 a few years, but sold it because it couldn't get out of it's own way on the street, and I was afraid of getting run over by the cars behind me. The Grom sort of reminds me of that.

Fun, but not for me.

W.R.Buchanan
11-28-2013, 06:18 PM
My wife's CT90 would do an honest 55 MPH any day and on a good day a full 60 MPH. You can only expect so much from 9 hp.

The Grom engine is the same engine punched out to 125 cc's I doubt it is seeing much more than 12 hp.

The few Super 90's I saw back in the day that were setup as mini Café Racers would only do 60-65. There was one guy in town that had one with the Poweroll conversion and it would do nearly 80 but he only weighed about 80 lbs too. That kit was about $150 and included the barrel, piston and rings. $150 was a lot of money to spend on a $350 bike in 1967-8. only the kids that had dads that were into the sport had these things. Most of us were lucky to even have a bike to ride, let alone a hotrod. My Hodaka 90 was as close as I ever got to something that cool.

Randy

Any Cal.
11-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I played on some old 125 2strokes that were pretty quick, and significantly heavier than that. Seems like it should scoot around town just fine. Wouldn't want it on the freeway, but might pay for itself in gas pretty quick.