PDA

View Full Version : Proplem W/Reloads in Marlin 30AW

alamogunr
10-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I loaded my first .30-30 reloads and took them to the range to try in my Marlin 30AW with Micro-Groove barrel. The boolet was 311041 from a Lee GB mold from several years ago. Yeah! I've got molds I've never used.

Anyway, I followed the manuals specs on OAL and sized the boolets to .311. I proceeded to load 48 rounds. I prepped 50 but used two to set dies.

At the range I fired 5 rounds single loaded thru the chronograph and then proceeded to load the magazine and fire for accuracy. The first round levered into the chamber OK and fired. The second round did not chamber completely and the next round in the magazine jumped behind the loading port. The gun was effectively jammed up. I couldn't get the round out of the chamber or force it in.

Took it too a local gunsmith and he got the rounds out by half disassembling the rifle. The round that was partially chambered had rifling marks on the boolet. He cycled some dummy rounds thru the magazine and everything worked fine. His opinion was that the boolet was at fault. Or, possibly, the barrel has absolutely no throat.

I haven't had time to do a throat casting or slug the barrel. I need to do both and will, but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas that we haven't considered?

btroj
10-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Short throat. Fat nosed bullet. Bad combination.

Ben
10-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Yep, btroj has this one pegged.

FergusonTO35
10-25-2013, 10:07 PM
The good news is that once you get the right boolit I bet it will shoot lights out.

alamogunr
10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Just so you know! I tried the reloads in another Marlin and a Win 94. They didn't work in either. Each showed rifling marks on the boolet nose. I pulled the boolets on the remaining rounds and salvaged the powder. I now have 42 primed cases to load when I find a mold that will work in the .30WCF. Thanks for the help.

If anyone has this mold(311041 Lee GB), I'm curious what you use it in.

btroj
10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Most likely a 30-30 with a fatter, longer throat. A bullet nose even .0005 too large can cause exactly this issue.

You may be able to adjust bullet size some thru changing alloys. Pure shrinks more on cooling, reduce the Sb content in 1/2 in your alloy and see if the bullets fit after that.

My NOE 165 RD bullet needs to be seated deer Than the "original" 165 RD because of a tiny difference in nose profile.

Sometimes it is the little things that matter the most.

alamogunr
10-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I'll give that a try. It may be awhile since I've got several non-gun things going on right now. I appreciate the suggestion. I would have never thought of that.

TCFAN
10-26-2013, 08:33 PM
I have the exact same problem with 2 Marlins and one Winchester 30-30. I got a nose size die and run my boolits in to size the nose at .300-.301. That took care of my problem.........terry