PDA

View Full Version : leading and copper wash

soldierbilly1
10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I just got some nasty leading on my 9 today.

short version: I shoot Lyman 120 TC with NRA 50/50. I shot about 1000 lead heads through the barrel, no problems. I then shot about 300 Jword, factory load bullets. I half *** cleaned with a bore snake after ea 100 shots. Returned to my lead loads, they always worked, and they started to lead up my barrel.

I am thinking the copper wash, remaining from the marginal cleaning, got the leading started.

Your opinions? ( the barrel has not leaded since then.)
billy boy

Stephen Cohen
10-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Your right on the money, copper sticks to barrel and lead sticks to copper. always clean out copper properly before using cast. Regards Stephen.

btroj
10-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I find that the slight leading you get in the situation does an excellent job of getting the copper out of the barrel.
I don't shoot much for jacketed but I find that shooting some lead over the copper fouling will remove the copper.

ShooterAZ
10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
+1, it may take a few sessions, but it will clear itself out. I have a new .44 mag TC contender barrel that was giving me fits, but after firing maybe 200+ rounds, it finally gave in to the fact that it was going to love boolits. The copper was in there from the proof firing I guess.