PDA

View Full Version : 7.35 Carcano Bullet mold recommendations

rattletrap1970
10-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello all,

A while back I got a Bubba'd M38 carcano. I stripped it and restored it to it's "as issued" condition. I picked up 100 pieces of brass and loaded it with some jacketed (I believe hornady) bullets to function test it. These rifles get a lot of flak, but I have to say I found it a very enjoyable caliber to shoot. With the fixed sight I was easily able to put all my shots into a standard size paper plate with a orange dot on it at 100 yards. But, the bullets are not cheap and not readily available, so, as with most of my rifles I'm trying to get a reliable cast load.

Could anyone recommend a good mold for this caliber? I will slug the barrel when I get a chance for specific numbers, but suffice to say the bullets I bought behaved nicely.

Thanks

texassako
10-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Tom at Accurate made me a design similar to the original Lyman 300136. http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=30-150L-D.png It shoots really well in 2 different rifles, but you will probably need to turn the necks of your brass to get a proper sized boolit to fit. It uses .30 caliber GC's instead the Lyman's to small 7mm GC's shank

rattletrap1970
10-25-2013, 01:40 PM
That looks like a very nice boolit. I am assuming the .30 cal GC resizes without a hitch.
I'm sure I will have to slug the barrel so I know what size sizer to pick up.

I have 7mm gc's also. As I have a FN49 in 7mm Mauser.

jonk
10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
CBE in Australia makes one that I use with fairly good results, though at 130 gr, I wish it were a tad longer.

leadman
10-25-2013, 11:38 PM
If you can't find a mold or don't want to spring for a custom mold you can coat standard 30 caliber boolits with Hi-Tek coating and then have Buckshot make you a sizer of the correct size. The Hi-Tek coating allows the boolits to be sized smaller with no distortion of the bands or lube grooves (not needed with the Hi-Tek). I sized the Lee group buy boolit for the Makarov (.365") to .356" and it still looked the same.
I have sized the Lyman 314299 down to .309" and it still looked the same. The boolits get longer when sized down.

junkbug
11-01-2013, 12:29 PM
How do those flat-points feed from the charger clip/magazine system? Looks like a useful hunting boolit to boot.