PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 2255FN and the .223 Remington

Jack Stanley
10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
My intent is to find a load for the local chuck population using the RCBS 2255-FN bullet . Current alloy is range scrap that is about twelve or thirteen BHN and Powder is Hercules 2400 . A charge weight of eleven grains of powder seem to be the best with this bullet but I have been seating them out to a rather long overall length . This exposes the lube and I'd rather not do that for a hunting load .

The question I have is for those of you who have used this bullet in the .223 Remington cartridge . What overall length works well with this bullet/cartridge combo ? I went through some old posts and I think one refered to a length of 2.019" but I'm not certain it was for this cartridge .

I'm working with a Savage Axis and a Stevens model two hundred though the Axis is out for now untill I can get a solid stock for a left hander on it . Both rifles have shown promise with the RCBS 2255-SP and the same charge of 2400 .

Any help would be appreiciated , thanks ! Jack

runfiverun
10-26-2013, 12:01 AM
that same powder and boolit combo works in my 223 bolt gun too.
the softer boolits work better on varmints than a hard one does. [learned this one the hard way]
i'm no help on the oal I have to seat mine out the same way to keep accuracy.
all I can say is to try and seat them deeper and see what happens.

Slow Elk 45/70
10-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Good project to keep you out of the bars

**oneshot**
10-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Sometimes the 223 will make you go to the bar.

I'm not using that boolit so I can't give you an OAL. I have 2 barrels and each has it's own seating depth that works best. One likes the boolit just touching , the other likes it a few thousanths off. I spent alot of time trying to get the second one to shoot as good as the 1st before I messed with the seating depth.

Jack Stanley
10-26-2013, 08:52 AM
I could seat them at 2.180" but that length though just off the rifling shows all the lube . While OK for range use not really what I want for field use . I think 2.045" will just barely cover the lube so I think I'll start there and work back . Going to have to feed them from the magazine to make sure the rifle will still work right . Powder is on the lower end of the scale so I should be alright but I'll watch that too .

Jack

Jack Stanley
10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
I was wrong about the length needed to cover the lube , 2.140" or there abouts will do it . Today I tried loads shortened untill I got to 2.110" which is about halfway across the big band in front . Need to shoot a few more ten shot groups .

Jack