PDA

View Full Version : Yelled at Cabelas today

pearcetopher
10-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi guys, had a bad day

last night ordered round ball mold and 2 lbs of FFFG blackpowder online from cabelas

Got an email today saying that the additional shipping fee to ship blackpowder was 142$

I thought this was the total amount which seemed rediculous so I called and found out that it was 142 dollars ontop of my order as canada post and ups do not ship dangerous goods

I called and the lady i talked to was unwilling to see my point of view

me: So your telling me it costs 170 dollars to ship gunpowder?
lady: yes thats correct

me:Can you read that back to me
lady: it costs 170$ to ship 2 lbs of gunpowder

me: so your telling me that after shipping each lb of gunpowder is 75$

me: are you retarded? nobody would pay that
lady: people do all the time

me:no they dont
lady: yes they do

me: Youve got to be kidding lady, how does anyone order gunpowder from your website
lady:click

I lost faith in cabelas after that phone call. Is there something I am missing here? Am I taking crazy pills?

There is no cabelas within a 12 hour drive from here or I would have personally gone to their office and chatted up this lady some more

JeffinNZ
10-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Well all I can say is being rude to the call center person isn't going to do you any good.

fryboy
10-24-2013, 04:36 AM
from what i can see is that there is a difference between gunpowder ( classified as a flammable ) and black powder ( classified as a explosive ) ie; different regulations and stricter control of the latter , if you order pyrodex ( which one can often see sitting out on the shelf of a walmart that doesnt even sell regular gunpowder ) it'd be more along the lines of normal hazmat fee's, sadly asking to ship explosives in this day and age is gonna cost you , and, yes, there are some people who either have the desire to get those explosives bad enough to pay that fee or have more money than sense [shrugz] around here black is $10-$20 a pound eg; cheap enough to stock up on when one finds it
there's always the thread on home made black btw ...

oldfart1956
10-24-2013, 05:01 AM
HAW!HAW!HAW! KARMA BABY! I recall back in 1993 when on a trip to Niagra Falls you durn beaver-dragging Canucks diddled me $6 for a beer. The same beer on the American side was $1 so suck it up. Ohhh happy day that I have lived long enough to read this. The wheels of justice grind slowly....but they grind fine...aye? Audie...the Oldfart...:) (while the post is factual...please consider it my poor attempt at humor)

JakeBlanton
10-24-2013, 05:20 AM
HAW!HAW!HAW! KARMA BABY! I recall back in 1993 when on a trip to Niagra Falls you durn beaver-dragging Canucks diddled me $6 for a beer. The same beer on the American side was $1 so suck it up. Ohhh happy day that I have lived long enough to read this. The wheels of justice grind slowly....but they grind fine...aye? Audie...the Oldfart...:) (while the post is factual...please consider it my poor attempt at humor)

Yeah, I've wondered why a Canadian beer would cost more in Canada than it does in the US.

imashooter2
10-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Everyone knows that shipping on smokeless and especially black powder is very expensive and you have to buy a large quantity of it to make the shipping worthwhile. Pay it, buy local or do without. Your telephone manner was completely uncalled for.

btroj
10-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Yelling accomplished what?

Almost this entire board could tell you that shipping on 2 pounds of powder will dramatically increase cost per pound.

Ask, don't assume. Be polite, it does pay off.

reloader28
10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Being expensive is one thing.
But $75 per pound??? Thats robbery plain and simple.

Cabelas is a joke around here. I live in big game hunting central and not many get hunting supplies and no reloading supplies at the local Cabelas. Every where else is cheaper.

shredder
10-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Call Wholesale sports. You may get a different response. I attempt to make all my powder purchases in person when I get to the big city, and stock up when you get there, it saves a lot of hassle.

novalty
10-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Generally the only items I "buy" from Cabelas, I pay for with points using their credit card. The only thing that irritates me about Cabelas is that I don't live too far from them, and they used to charge hazmat to ship primers and powder to their own store. They have since eliminated the "Ship to Store" option on hazmat.

Overall, I am really happy with Cabelas, as their credit card points system allows me to reload for just the cost of the lead that I buy--since I purchase powder and primers at the store with points. Right now it is costing me roughly $0.02 to reload 45 acp, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, and about $0.01 to reload 9mm.

bhn22
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
And it's not even Cabelas policy. It's the ICC, and the carriers. Many times black powder has to be shipped by truck, as hazmat. I don't believe UPS will touch the stuff anymore.

ShooterAZ
10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
My last order of FFFG was from Graf's. Some friends & I opted to split up a case, thereby greatly reducing the hazmat per pound. It was shipped UPS, adult signature required, to my work. Ordering only a couple of pounds you wind up paying through the nose for hazmat & shipping. Yeah, being polite and respectful will get you much further. Being rude will get you hung up on.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Well, I for one, believe that the occasional A$$ chewing is a good thing. Maybe the lady on the phone isnt
the one who reserved it, but she did answer the phone. I'd would have asked for the person in charge.

If it cost 75 bucks to ship a POUND of powder, then how can ANY powder be available in ANY store for less than 100 bucks a pound?
They are screwing us people, they need to be told. Libtards don't understand reason or nicey nice.

youngda9
10-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Cabelas prices are a joke. I NEVER buy anything from them. Gander is very high as well...sometimes I will buy from them if I'm desperate for something.

runfiverun
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
you should have asked one more question.
how much is the haz-mat fee on 100 pounds.

mpmarty
10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Cabellas is not and never has been on my shopping list. Too expensive and the folks there are mostly tree hugging fools.

Baja_Traveler
10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Crater Fireworks - the only place I buy my BP from, because their price can't be beat (for Swiss anyway) and their service is great...

And yes - buy a case at a time because Hazmat is pricey...

http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

harvester
10-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Hazmat fees from Graf and sons is 27.95 for a couple pounds of Black Powder but I do not know if your problem might be related to shipping to or in Canada.

novalty
10-24-2013, 01:52 PM
If it cost 75 bucks to ship a POUND of powder, then how can ANY powder be available in ANY store for less than 100 bucks a pound?
They are screwing us people, they need to be told. Libtards don't understand reason or nicey nice.

Because they ship in bulk. I doubt Cabelas stocks their store inventory 1lb at a time.

If you order 20 types of powder in 8lb jugs the Hazmat fee is still the same as 1lb of powder. The real issue here is shipping regulations between the USA and Canada.

pearcetopher
10-24-2013, 02:03 PM
found a goex distributor with 10 km of my place

going to ask him if he had to pay the 75 dollars for shipping

I'm going to call cabelas today and do more yelling

jcwit
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Interesting thread.

jonk
10-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Look up powder valley or grafs or maine powder house. But while hazmat is pricey in the states too, you're looking to ship a hazardous material internationally. Seems right for me to the price; best just to get it from a Canadian distributor outright.

Muddydogs
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM

What you are not understanding is it’s probably not Cabela's. You are shipping a hazardous substance across the border so there are rules, regulations and fees that the shipping company has to deal with that you are getting charged for. Right on Cabela’sr web site when you order powder it says UPS charges an extra $20 to ship powder and it $20 for 1 pound or more. So I would think the problem is trying to purchase powder from the US instead of Canada. So yell all you want but I think the problem is more self-induced than anything.

gandydancer
10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
never new they sold BP in their stores or on the web?

stocker
10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Actually guys, Cabela's now has outlets within Canada and I assume that's who he called. None the less, the shipping costs are probably not Cabela's fault at all but are due to transport regulations involving explosives and who can transport them.

dverna
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM

It worked the first time - right???
Most people learn from mistakes...others, not so much.

I used to run a customer service department. I had less than a handful of abusive calls a year but I told our reps to transfer calls like yours directly to me. Funny how some men think a woman in customer service is some kind of idiot and can be talked down to.

BTW, you have received some good alternatives. I hope you have better luck elsewhere.

AggieEE
10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
I had a person call me from Canada wanting to buy a small ultrasoni cleaner, by the time I figured out the postage and duties the unit went from $65 to $130. What happened to NAFTA? As to yelling, I was getting phone calls from a credit card co. wanting to collect from somebody with the same last name as mine. They kept asking for the account number and couldn't/wouldn't understand that I didn't have an account with them. I started out polite didn't end up that way. Took me three tries and about a month+ to get straight. Last time I got a native English speaker and that solved the problem, yes I was polite to her.

LeftyDon
10-24-2013, 04:13 PM
The USA and Canada are tied together with free trade except when a person wishes to ship items back and forth. No such luck in that case and Canada doesn't make it easy for any US company or person to export anything to Canada. I know because I used to have a web computer business and shipping to Europe was easier that to Canada. Maybe you such call your government and ask why. Canada has a huge fear of the US wiping out Canadian jobs. I know from having to cross the border in a former job and having to lie about what I was doing or going through months of hell tring to meet the Canadian rules for contract work. I also know how to cheat and help out my Canadian family members buy stuff, like tires, in the USA and sneak them back into Canada.

Getting loud as some $8/hr phone person can't solve your shipping problems so why act out your anger on them. Either cancel the order or ask for the supervisor. You were in the wrong. Those on this website that are posting insults are also wrong.

stocker
10-24-2013, 07:13 PM
The USA and Canada are tied together with free trade except when a person wishes to ship items back and forth. No such luck in that case and Canada doesn't make it easy for any US company or person to export anything to Canada. I know because I used to have a web computer business and shipping to Europe was easier that to Canada. Maybe you such call your government and ask why. Canada has a huge fear of the US wiping out Canadian jobs. I know from having to cross the border in a former job and having to lie about what I was doing or going through months of hell tring to meet the Canadian rules for contract work. I also know how to cheat and help out my Canadian family members buy stuff, like tires, in the USA and sneak them back into Canada.

Getting loud as some $8/hr phone person can't solve your shipping problems so why act out your anger on them. Either cancel the order or ask for the supervisor. You were in the wrong. Those on this website that are posting insults are also wrong.

Actually, Lefty we have a lot more problems with U.S. regulations (read Homeland Security) in getting things exported from the States. Today I went looking for a gunsmith who could supply a new barrel for an old Sedgely , 1903 Springfield 22 Hornet. By the time U.S. barrel manufacturers buy a permit allowing them to export a one of order rifle barrel to Canada the retail price here was driven up to $700.00. This was not a match grade barrel referred to. Canada Customs is easy compared to the **** foisted on exporting manufacturers by your own Government. Paranoia at work.

jonp
10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Im not sure calling people tards is a good way to go on the phone but for the lady to say that people pay that pri ce all the time deserves that moniker as do the people paying it.

KCSO
10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
To avoid shipping costs on BLACK powder our club buys 50 pounds at a time and drives 150 miles to get it. I would never even consider ordering just two pounds. But call Doc at Upper Missouri Trading Co and see what his shipping is.

10x
10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
What you hit were Hazardous material charges levied by the carriers.
There are very few, if any, incidents where black powder has been an issue for a carrier.
There are no special precautions taken by the carrier either - it is just a charge they tack on.

LeftyDon
10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Actually, Lefty we have a lot more problems with U.S. regulations (read Homeland Security) in getting things exported from the States. Today I went looking for a gunsmith who could supply a new barrel for an old Sedgely , 1903 Springfield 22 Hornet. By the time U.S. barrel manufacturers buy a permit allowing them to export a one of order rifle barrel to Canada the retail price here was driven up to $700.00. This was not a match grade barrel referred to. Canada Customs is easy compared to the **** foisted on exporting manufacturers by your own Government. Paranoia at work.

No doubt that's true too.

Most likely to get worse since lately the US gov't seems to think long friends are enemies and enemies need our cash/weapons/support. Company my wife works for had moved production of some stuff to Europe and since 9-11 they can't re-import it since it could be used as a bio-weapon. So they now have to purchase from outside their own company. Go figure.

pearcetopher
10-25-2013, 01:31 PM
found a man today who sold me FFFG and FFG and will re crown my barrel

what a wonderful world this is

unclogum bill
10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
" Getting loud as some $8/hr phone person can't solve your shipping problems so why act out your anger on them. Either cancel the order or ask for the supervisor. You were in the wrong. Those on this website that are posting insults are also wrong."
Lots of truth in that statement. Those folks are company trained, monitored and need a job . They can't fight back , and an attempt to do so puts them outside unemployed fast. I lasted 2 days in customer service in a department store once. Not an easy job.

Bad Water Bill
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Will someone please show me proof that FED EX OR U P S collects the haz mat fee.

Neither major location in my area has a clue what a haz mat fee is.

Look at different dealers and how much is shipped under one fee.

A couple of years ago I checked several dealers. One shipped 5K of primers. If you wanted powder that was another haz mat.

I bought 40# of powder from Cabelas. It was shipped from 3 different locations at 3 different times on 3 different trucks on the one fee.

I am sure that Fed Ex or U P S would have wanted haz mat fees for each truck involved if they collected the fee.

I have also ordered over 50K of primers from a vender for ONE haz mat fee.

Vender to vender sales do not get charged a haz mat fee from what I have been told by several LGS in my area.

I have read the fee is collected by the venders to cover their extra insurance involved.

mikeym1a
10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Here's something for you, if you are in a pinch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKB8c4VLbw0

:bigsmyl2:

unclogum bill
10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
As far as that has-mat fee getting charged I thought that was an easy one. With 15 min . to waste and my computer search skills tuned for the chase Ye-ha. Well went down some box canyons , but got no where.

Smoke4320
10-25-2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/
Its Charged per Physical Package ..
Primers are supposed to be shipped seperate from Powder and both require a Haz Mat Fee
some companys decide to skirt the rules and ship both together.. At least till they get caught and then they will have He@@@ to pay .. The fines are no joke
some of the larger companys will wave a second or third haz mat if THEY have to ship from separate locations .. They are still paying the charge just not passing it on to you .. That's their decision
I know all this as I am a Haz mat shipper not just guessing ..
UPS charges the shipper $27.50 per package up to 100 LBS

Freightman
10-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Here's something for you, if you are in a pinch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKB8c4VLbw0

:bigsmyl2:
Several of us here make our own, but read "ALL" of the sticky before you do it please.

10x
10-25-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/
Its Charged per Physical Package ..
Primers are supposed to be shipped seperate from Powder and both require a Haz Mat Fee
some companys decide to skirt the rules and ship both together.. At least till they get caught and then they will have He@@@ to pay .. The fines are no joke
some of the larger companys will wave a second or third haz mat if THEY have to ship from separate locations .. They are still paying the charge just not passing it on to you .. That's their decision
I know all this as I am a Haz mat shipper not just guessing ..
UPS charges the shipper $27.50 per package up to 100 LBS

There is nothing extra done to packages in how they are handled by UPS, nor do the contract drivers get any compensation for hauling and delivering UPS hazmat. But there are fines for UPS contractors who do not have hazmat signs on their delivery vehicle. Also hazmat signs means that the vehicle must stay on certain routes to make a delivery - adding time and loss to the contractor.

pearcetopher
10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I want to make my own and it seems simple enough however I need proper granulation and I dont know how to go about doing that. How do I make FFG instead of FFFG?
Several of us here make our own, but read "ALL" of the sticky before you do it please.

Digital Dan
10-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Funny, but sometimes customer service needs a good verbal thrashing.

Few years back my wife and I purchased a home. We started getting official court mail as soon as our mailbox was installed, addressed to a woman we did not know and who certainly had never lived there. We notified the appropriate jurisdictions verbally and in writing and it stopped for awhile.

She kept using our address however and in the process of nurturing her felonious ways it got the attention of the US Marshall's office. Left hand never met right hand I guess.

One night about 9 PM my wife heard noise downstairs and went to investigate. She did so unarmed, quite unlike me. Anyway, she walked into the carport and flipped on the light and found herself looking at the wrong end of two Glocks.

They were gone when I got home fortunately. It was the next day during conversation with the two deputies' supervisor that it got really ugly. He listened to my sincere exercise of 1st Amendment rights, found out I respond poorly to implied threats and probably remembers the conversation to this day.

If there is a point here it is that I expect straight forward explanations when I speak with the customer relations wonks. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but,,,it's been awhile since I've been susceptible to BS. A simple explanation of the HAZMAT fee schedule could have precluded all of this.

Dan

PS: Powder Valley and bulk purchase is your friend w/ BP. There's others just as good but I've blabbed enough.

Randy in Arizona
10-25-2013, 10:26 PM

But over on the North side of the river, it is imported beer!

lental
10-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Years ago, I used to buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas...flyfishing stuff, camping gear, hunting gear, etc. Used to find pretty good stuff for very reasonable prices. This must have been not too long after they moved out of the garage where they started the business.

Sadly, as they got bigger, they started getting rid of the reasonably priced good stuff and went to the high priced, high quality big name stuff that only the very rich can afford. I guess it's been over 15 years since I've ordered anything from them though I'll still occasionally check their website. Mostly, I find that I can always get things way cheaper elsewhere...sometimes the very same stuff. Too bad, they've always had a good selection of products.

Bass Pro shops seems to be moving in the same direction. I needed some instant bluing last week so I checked it at Amazon and found Birchwood-Casey for $7.12 and free shipping. Went to the new Bass Pro Shop and it was $9.99. Went another quarter mile to Academy Sports and it was $5.45. Same product, same size, same brand.

Been in Bass Pro Shop four times since it opened in September and came out empty. Seems like I can always find what I'm looking for way cheaper somewhere else. I think it's called "Corporate Greed."

JakeBlanton
10-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Been in Bass Pro Shop four times since it opened in September and came out empty. Seems like I can always find what I'm looking for way cheaper somewhere else. I think it's called "Corporate Greed."

Well, *someone* has to pay for the fancy decorations.

Kull
10-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Cabellas is not and never has been on my shopping list. Too expensive and the folks there are mostly tree hugging fools.

I was in the Eugene Cabela's recently, lots of granola eaters round them parts.

Garyshome
10-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Yelling at some stupid policy is THERAPY! At least for me.

unclogum bill
10-26-2013, 02:02 AM
"Funny, but sometimes customer service needs a good verbal thrashing."
Years back some old geezer in Phoenix, looking out his back window saw two guys breaking into his shed. Called 9ll and was told would be about an hour. He said his stuff would be long gone , they said they were busy and to wait. He calls back and says he shot one robber, and gets six cars there in 3 minutes. Sarge guy had no humor in his voice when he found out old man had lied, didn't even have a gun. Said "you said you shot someone". Old man said "and you said you were to busy. Moral, maybe its all how you say it.

Digital Dan
10-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Point, set, match.

Funny story.

44man
10-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Canada is funny. Had friends up there. We bought new Browning compounds for $83 once to find they had to pay $1000 up there. It is mostly taxes, everything is free, get laid off and the Govt pays your wages, free health care, etc.
Talked to a girl on the plane and asked what she would do if she could not find a hotel room. She told us she would go to the hospital, tell them she didn't feel good and they would give her a bed.
We are headed that way, last threat I heard is Obuma wants anyone buying ammo must buy a fed license.
Liberal's are the ruination of every country.
But yes, BP is costly to ship, has to go motor freight or train.

Bad Water Bill
10-26-2013, 09:20 AM
When was the last time a package containing components caught fire or exploded?

IIRC it was sometime back in the 70s.

unclogum bill
10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
"Canada is funny." statement brings this to mind. When I was running sled dogs I would cross over several times a year. Once using a old Dodge van that had a "insured by Smith and Wesson"sticker on bumper. Crossing guard ripped my van end to end throwing stuff in the snow looking for that gun, which was never there. Funny thing l was towing a trailer with dog box holding 8 dogs, he wanted no part of looking there. Once lost , trying to get stateside I approached two cops sitting at a dinner for directions. They told me to get lost until they were finished eating. Another time spent overnight for "excess beer consumption at a station that was uncalled for. But the people , not the police , have a heart of gold and to this day if I spot someone with Canadian tags needing a hand I pull over.

abearir
10-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I've wondered why a Canadian beer would cost more in Canada than it does in the US.

Government run healthcare. Basically it's a sin tax to prop up the cost of unhealthy lifestyles of those how imbide.......

PuppetZ
10-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Tried to buy some H4895 on Cabelas.ca back when I started reloading. Either they are idiots or they just dont want to do it. DHL will truck powder and primers in max 21lbs package for whatever the cost to ship is +25$hazmat. 175$ to ship 2 pounds of powder is simple, plain and literal theft. Order from Higginsons powder in ON. They will ship via DHL and if you order 21lbs, you just pay hazmat fee. I ordered some CCI LPP from sporteque in drummondville, Qc last Jan and it cost me 10$ shipping via Purolator, no hazmat but I dont think they declared it as a hazardous material, no markings no nothing on the box. I picked up GOEX BP from a local store for just over 25$/lbs so I guess they must not pay a bunch for shipping or else they would have to charge hu?

And as far as things goes for canadian pricing vs US pricing, a lot of it is a remnant of the time when CAD was worth about 0.70$ USD. Back then, everything cost 30 to 40% more north of the border because of change rate. Now that our CAD is on par with USD, we still pay 30 to 40% more on everything. It's VERY profitable for a business to be selling it's stuff up here. They will sell for about half more than down south and they'll then change the currency back to USD and still have about 50% more than selling the same stuff in the US.

TXGunNut
10-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Yelling at a CSR rep that did not make policy and had no way to resolve the issue made you feel better? That's just wrong.
I buy a fair bit from Cabelas but no haz-mat stuff. I've had occasion to talk to their credit card CSR reps and they are the nicest, most courteous phone reps I've ever had the pleasure of talking with. I've talked to a couple of their catalog folks as well, good people. I think both call centers are in Nebraska, certainly not in some foreign country.
Dealing with international shipping regulations is expensive and time-consuming, blame the regulatory folks and our tort-happy society for that, not the CSR rep who explains the regs you obviously haven't read.

pearcetopher
10-26-2013, 11:35 PM
the replies to this thread have been awesome and theres been a bajillion of them

thankyou for listening everyone

I love canada and I love the USA

binarybro
10-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Well said!
Everyone knows that shipping on smokeless and especially black powder is very expensive and you have to buy a large quantity of it to make the shipping worthwhile. Pay it, buy local or do without. Your telephone manner was completely uncalled for.

dkf
10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Powder was probably located in a US warehouse. Ship from US to Canada via UPS or Fedex and it will cost you. All the Canadians on another site want things shipped USPS from the US to Canada.

DHL will truck powder and primers in max 21lbs package for whatever the cost to ship is +25$hazmat. 175$ to ship 2 pounds of powder is simple, plain and literal theft.

DHL is basically gone down here in the states. Nobody uses them since they cut operations to nothing.

JakeBlanton
10-27-2013, 10:42 PM
I seem to remember stumbling across a site that would ship you all the ingredients to make your own blackpowder, but since they were not already combined, they could ship them without a hazmat charge. Also, the cost per pound of generated black powder was a lot less than what you could normally get at any powder supply company.

Quick Google search came up with this:

One recipe for black powder:
75% potassium nitrate
15% charcoal
10% sulfur

50 lbs potassium nitrate -- $85 = $1.70 per lb
10 lbs sulfur -- $24 = $2.40 per pound
10 lbs charcoal -- $35 (significantly less if you make and grind your own) = $3.50 per pound

So, for 100 lbs of black powder, it would cost:
75 * 1.70 + 15 * 3.50 + 10 * 2.40 = 127.50 + 52.50 + 24.00 = $204.00

Thus, you could make it yourself for $2.04 per pound and you won't be paying any HAZMAT fees.

There's probably even cheaper places to buy the chemicals -- I didn't really search that much to get the best prices.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
10-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Well all I can say is being rude to the call center person isn't going to do you any good.

Agreed 100%, shipping rates, as obnoxious as they are, are not her fault.

mrbillbus
10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Canadian beer sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVPDL89FQ1M

Lol!!!

gunnerasch0
10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
That powder hazmat fee is atrocious!
I did score 8 pounds of 4759 from GRAF a few months ago, cost me $180 and since I hadn't seen any useful powder locally for months
I was ok with paying it. I'm a cheap AH (my parents wedding date was 9 months and five days before my date of birth so not a bastard) but I do like having powder!
So far as Cabelas goes, there is one in Lacey WA about 30 miles from my home so I can stop there going to or from my cast bullet shooting rifle range (Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club). I do find their prices generally higher than places like SPORTCO but they are 25 miles closer.
Also in August and September I was able to buy Winchester Large Rifle primers there, 2000 at a time. Price was double what I paid at gun shows 8-10 years previously but they had them. Another item not seen in local stores since December of 2012.

While I understand temptation to yell at a phone person, other than some personal satisfaction it doesn't do much good otherwise. I wouldn't want to pay $100 a pound for black power but if I had a compelling urge to shoot a favored rifle, I might get that pound just to be able to reload 70 to 150 cases for a range trip or three. At age 69, I feel I don't have that many years left to enjoy my shooting nor muy money so why not spend it on what I enjoy?
FWIW, I have seen bottles of ancient brandy in liquor stores going for $1700 a fifth! I doubt I have the palate capable of getting pleasure from a $75 a shot of that brandy. I could buy a bottle but don't see the point. Nice to know it's there for those that do.

Larry Murray

Jon
10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
I'll pick up primers sometimes, but they haven't had much for a year now.

They are on the way home from work, so stopping in isn't a big deal. Their prices are rather steep though.

JakeBlanton
10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
At age 69, I feel I don't have that many years left to enjoy my shooting nor muy money so why not spend it on what I enjoy?

I understand the feeling. You scrimp and save all your life so that you have enough money to live comfortably in your retirement and then find that you just don't have the motivation to spend it on the things that you told yourself that you would do after you finally retired. As they say, "youth is wasted on the young".

44man
10-29-2013, 09:06 AM
It is true the box stores raised prices. I used to go to Bow Hunter's Warehouse in PA for all of my stuff. Cabela's bought them out and raised prices. Bass Pro is out of sight and Gander Mountain is a JOKE.
The place I hate most is Midway with the huge postage and handling charges. They used to ship free with higher prices, then without reducing price, they started to charge postage, then they added a handling fee.
But I use a Cabela's Visa for points and have saved a ton of money. The people are friendly but they are employees with no control.

nanuk
10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
I want to make my own and it seems simple enough however I need proper granulation and I dont know how to go about doing that. How do I make FFG instead of FFFG?

pearcetopher, DO NOT MAKE or ATTEMPT to make your own BP

Beaucoup trouble.....

the one ingredient, KNo3, is a controlled substance. You can still buy it over the counter if you know what to look for, but forget checking with fertilizer companies.

and don't bother asking for help from the Feds... they haven't returned an email in over 2 years about it.

the thing is, it is covered under the explosives act, and that is not something to play around with without permits..... and those take forever to get. Your best bet is to take to a dynamite dealer about permits and such.

clownbear69
10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I use to work at Cabela's, a few years ago. Actual Black Powder (not pyrodex) has only one location in the Cabelas network (WV IIRC) There is only three warehouses in the Cabelas network and none of them stock powder or primers etc.

You got hit with a hazmat fee. Its not Cabela's fault for charging fees and postage. If you want the item you have to pay for it. When comes down to it buy in bulk and go from there.

Being rude to the CS and not asking questions why prices are this way. The one thing that Cabelas (from retail to call center) is product knowledge and anything associated with that. Yes sure sometimes you find someone that doesn't know anything, but there is someone higher on the food chain

dnotarianni
10-29-2013, 01:12 PM
If you buy 20 it's only $7 and change a pound You need friends Eh

kevindtimm
10-29-2013, 02:57 PM

3 words

"Make your own"

3 more words

"Yelling won't help"

JakeBlanton
10-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Beaucoup trouble.....

the one ingredient, KNo3, is a controlled substance. You can still buy it over the counter if you know what to look for, but forget checking with fertilizer companies.

and don't bother asking for help from the Feds... they haven't returned an email in over 2 years about it.

the thing is, it is covered under the explosives act, and that is not something to play around with without permits..... and those take forever to get. Your best bet is to take to a dynamite dealer about permits and such.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-lb-Highly-Refined-Potassium-Nitrate-99-8-Pure-Saltpeter-Pyro-Stump-Remover-/190892336727

mold maker
10-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Beaucoup trouble.....

Making your own is as safe and easy as you make it. If your an idiot, stay away from matches, sharp objects, and guns.....
If you have and use common sense, have at it.
The KNO3 is available from many sources. Sulfur is easy to find, and you can make your own charcoal.
How do you think your forefathers fed their families?????

dondiego
10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
He's in Canada and potassium nitrate is restricted.

Jim..47
10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi guys, had a bad day

last night ordered round ball mold and 2 lbs of FFFG blackpowder online from cabelas

Got an email today saying that the additional shipping fee to ship blackpowder was 142$

I thought this was the total amount which seemed rediculous so I called and found out that it was 142 dollars ontop of my order as canada post and ups do not ship dangerous goods

I called and the lady i talked to was unwilling to see my point of view

me: So your telling me it costs 170 dollars to ship gunpowder?

me:Can you read that back to me
lady: it costs 170$ to ship 2 lbs of gunpowder

me: so your telling me that after shipping each lb of gunpowder is 75$

me: are you retarded? nobody would pay that
lady: people do all the time

me:no they dont
lady: yes they do

me: Youve got to be kidding lady, how does anyone order gunpowder from your website
lady:click

I lost faith in cabelas after that phone call. Is there something I am missing here? Am I taking crazy pills?

There is no cabelas within a 12 hour drive from here or I would have personally gone to their office and chatted up this lady some more

And I'm guessing that it is her fault that you didn't ask how much hazmat was? :groner: Time to grow up fella!

JakeBlanton
10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
He's in Canada and potassium nitrate is restricted.

Damn, what kind of nanny 51st state is that?

Do they sell stump remover up there? That's just potassium nitrate.

wallenba
10-30-2013, 01:13 AM

Could have been worse...they made me eat poutine and a garlic pickle.