PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia... on the installment plan

BruceB
10-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Usually, "nostalgia" is a vague yearning for times long past, generally overlaid with a gentle disregard for the less-pleasant conditions of those bygone days.

On February 1, 2012, I finished a graveyard shift at the mine, and by the time I made it to the company bus 200 yards and one long staircase from the workplace, I was having severe breathing difficulty.

I saw my Doctor that morning, was in an ambulance to Reno within the hour, and had open-heart surgery the following morning. That graveyard shift was the last day I worked in a mining career that began in 1962. Within a few months I also lost my left leg and am still having surgical treatment on my right foot, which is now 2/3 its former size and has no toes.

My casting and handloading shop is in an insulated shed, about 10' x 14'. I had not even been IN that shed since January of 2012..... until TODAY.

NVCurmudgeon drove over from Reno for a visit and some (very rare) range time. Afterwards, we opened up "the tomb of the mummy" to see just how bad the conditions were in that shed.

In a word...PRETTY GOOD. A bit dusty, jammed, crammed, STUFFED with "stuff".... but the tooling, moulds, dies etc. appeared to be in good shape. This was a great relief, of course, not having seen the goodies for such a long time..

In the fairly-near future, NVC will be bringing a rental van from Reno, and we will pack up all that "stuff" plus some furniture etc for a change of location. All the casting impedimenta will go to NVC's home, and the loading gear will hopefully be installed in my as-yet-un-located bachelor digs somewhere in Reno/Sparks. This will be a MAJOR job, I assure y'all!

Most of my vehicles have sat without running since early 2012 as well. We put a 24-volt charger on the "bobbed" deuce-and-a-half truck, and I will try to start it tomorrow. The Escalade is stone dead and will require a new battery, as will "Der Scheutzenwagen" and the Arctic Cat ATV.The Suburban and GMC 1500 truck are doing fine.

At this point I don't know if I can even get a driver's license. I will have to take a driving test, but I'm reasonably confident I can pass that. One more "bullet to bite".... seems like I'm having quite a diet of such bullets lately

Mobility is improving a bit... I left the wheelchair at home today and navigated with my 4-footed "walker" into two restaurants, the firing line at the range, into my shed....AND I CLIMBED INTO THAT MONSTER TRUCK, which sits very high indeed.

Anyway, perhaps you folks can see why I'm getting my "nostalgia by installment".... I am gradually revisiting or regaining ground that had been lost over the last 21 months. It does give me some hope for the future, and maybe something for which to LIVE. All those months, this Board has been a huge factor in retaining my mental health and stability. I spend hours here every day, and greatly appreciate all the lively discussion and ever-changing topics.

BorderBrewer
10-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Bruce,
So good to hear of your steps back to what you enjoy. I do not know you but feel as if I do and have enjoyed reading your posts over the years. Your progress is evidence that you can't keep a good man down.
Good Luck and God Bless,
Mark

Hogtamer
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
May God bless you Bruce.

koehn,jim
10-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Good to see you are doing better, I have learned a huge amount from your post on the M1a and am glad to see you posting.

smoked turkey
10-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Bruce, glad to hear that you are able to visit the old stompin grounds some. It sounds like your iron will is going to put you on top once again. I also have enjoyed your posts and especially I have benefited from your write up on the 416 Rigby with cast. In fact I have printed off some of your ramblings and load information on your Ruger No 1 in .416. I read it from time to time to make sure I am on the right track with mine. I am using your "data" as I trust your experience and the fact that you have been there and done that. Thank you and I hope, pray and trust that you will once again be able to do some of the things you love to do.
Stan

MT Gianni
10-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear of the progress friend.

Piedmont
10-24-2013, 12:41 AM
We're all rooting for you Bruce, even all of us whom have never met you in person.

Artful
10-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Bruce, glad to hear of your progress - suggest you spend some time with a camera just so you know what you got after that long without being in there.

Bzcraig
10-24-2013, 01:09 AM
As you already know; one day at a time and one foot in front of the other. It does seem you have a much better grasp on nostalgia than most. Keep up the good work.

btroj
10-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Awesome to hear that Bruce. One step at a time but never give up.

Pb2au
10-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Excellent to hear this sir. Keep plugging away!

eljefeoz
10-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Enjoyed your posts and the efforts you took to give me iinfo on the .404
I am modifying a .404 bottom pour mold to PP. next step, a soft nose PP .404 a la BruceB :)
God bless,and bash on. ;)

captaint
10-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Well, bless you, Bruce. I always enjoy what you have to say about -whatever... Hope the improvement continues. Mike

texassako
10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
If my clumsy wife could figure out how to drive with no use of her legs, then I bet you will be able. Texas has an agency (that constantly changes names) to help people get active again, maybe yours does as well? I am glad to see you are being proactive. I have seen to many disappear into their homes after a serious health issue, never to be seen or heard from again.

gbrown
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Wow, it's always up-lifting to hear of someone battlin back from adversity. Keep up the fight and don't let little setbacks upset you. You can do it, man! Keep your eye on the prize and know that we are here cheering for you. You can get that license with a properly equipped vehicle. My buddy was in a mobility chair after loosing both legs to diabetes. He had a handicapped van and drove all over Texas in it. We went to the range and store on a regular basis.

Harter66
10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
If you 2 decide you need another strong back get ahold of me I've fridays saturdays and sundays. The fowl aren't cooperating.

MBTcustom
10-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow, I had no idea what you were you going through. I must live under a rock.
Keep fighting it out Bruce. You are one tough SOB!
Hope you get everything sorted out.

popper
10-24-2013, 11:03 AM
nostalgia - stuff we used to enjoy. Will & desire - the ability to continue doing what we enjoy. Keep plugging along.
Years ago I worked with a fellow who's legs didn't work. He drove, wheel chair behind the seat, hand throttle and brake. Don't try to get the chair out for him. Dad golfed into his 80's with bone-on-bone in both knees. Doc asked him why and he said 'desire'.
Many thanks for the great info you passed on in your posts.

Ramar
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Bruce,
I'm inspired! You've got something I'm looking for and wish I had half of what you've got. I give in to pain and tend to sit. My prayers are still with you.
Ramar

MtGun44
10-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Old age isn't for wimp. Keep bailing, sir. I'm losing a good friend soon and
a family member, too. This is not a fun time, for me either.

I hope things continue to trend upwards for you.

Best wishes.

Bill

MaryB
10-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Inspires me to keep up the fight and not give in. Keep at it and keep moving!

Lance Boyle
10-25-2013, 03:59 PM
keep climbing the hill of life and don't give up. sounds like you're reclaiming your life

God bless ya and keep at it!

xs11jack
10-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Life is what you make it. And it sounds as though you are making the best of what you have and aren't going to give an inch. God's best blessing on you sir!
Ole Jack

foxtrotter
10-26-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm in the Reno (Golden Valley) area. Give me a heads-up If you need a hand.
foxtrotter.

BruceB
10-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Many thanks! I'll sure keep it in mind.... I was thinking about maybe picking up a few casual-type laborers to help us unload in Reno, but we'll see.

I expect the LOADING of the truck in Winnemucca may pose more difficulty, but that, too, remains to be seen.

I don't have a firm time frame yet; still have to locate some sort of bachelor-suitable accommodation. That search is going to a poser with my physical difficulties.

Thanks again for the offer of help.

**oneshot**
10-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Keep moving forward!

rbertalotto
10-26-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm inspired! Thanks for sharing your great success.........Sounds like you'll be back at it 100% in a very short time.
(I'd love to see pictures of the Bobbed Deuce.........Gotta get me one of those someday!)

Hickory
10-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Glad to hear you're moving up hill,
I'm sure you'll be back on top in no time.

BruceB
10-26-2013, 08:10 AM
(I'd love to see pictures of the Bobbed Deuce.........Gotta get me one of those someday!)

If you'll go to the 'stickies' here in "Our Town", there's a thread titled "Show Us Your Nice Rides"

On Page Two of that thread., down toward the bottom, there's a good photo of my Deuce. The truck may be for sale quite soon, if anyone's interested.

wch
10-26-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't know you except through this forum but I'm betting that you're a "tough guy" and I think you're going to be just fine.
Best wishes, and go with God.

DLCTEX
10-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Good to hear of your progress! Hang in there brother caster.

TXGunNut
10-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news, Bruce! Glad to hear you're making progress and wishing you the best in your continued rehab. For your new digs just place a classified ad in the Reno papers/online ads: "Wanted to rent: reloading/casting shed with living quarters. EZ access a must." ;-)

kodiak1
10-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Bruce sounds like you aren't giving up any to easy! Good to hear, hopefully some of the bumps in your road ahead have a grader run over them before you get there.

Good Luck Ken.

MaryB
10-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Interested in a duece??? Heck yes! Can afford it? Heck no! :lol:

richhodg66
10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
You get well and back to shooting and reloading soon. I've enjoyed and learned a lot from your posts since I came here.

I take it for granted sometimes, the good health and physical condition. Right now, I'm in pretty good shape for my age and can still do pretty much anything I want, though I can num long distance and stuff like I could when I was in my 30's. I'm blessed that I come from a blood line of pretty healthy people who have strong constitutions but I know it just takes one bad happening and that can go away fast. I like to think that if something ever did happen like that to me, I could handle it as well as you and do what I had to do to stay in the game instead of giving up, I'm not sure that I have it in me.

I wish I was closer, I'd sure help you move if I was.