PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 Problem

cruisor
10-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Hello All,

I have a recently purchased 4500 Lube Sizer that I thought I'd give a try yesterday. I had no problems putting lube in. I heated up some bulk lube and just poured it into the 4500. Waited a bit for it cool down and them tried to pressurize the unit to lube some bullets.

The lube sizer Pressure Screw just comes up through the lube and won't pressurize the lube. From the parts diagram it doesn't look like there's anything holding it into the casting basically I can just pull the pressure screw out of the luber.

Has anyone had this experience? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Frozone
10-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Normally, Only out the bottom, unless it's broken. Is the 4500 new or used?

There is a 'shelf' in the hole in the bottom, the the rod rides on that.

The bottom end of the rod looks like a bolt without wrench flats.
It is possible to break the casting and have the rod pull through. But that requires a good of effort.

cruisor
10-23-2013, 01:46 AM
It's brand new. I purchased it from a friend who never did use. Didn't even have any lube in it. I suspect I'm going to have to get the lube out of it and give it a real close look-see. My other luber, a 450, I have to pull it out of the bottom.

Thanks,

Lee

Frozone
10-23-2013, 01:50 AM
They didn't change anything internally from the 450 to the 4500.
A thicker base to help with breakage is about all the was done to the body (a cartridge heater hole added too) and newest 450s had that already.

Good chance your friend had the rod fall out and just stuck it back in the top.