PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro-Auto Disk & Trailboss

Ninety Caliber
10-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Am considering a second Auto-Disk to use with my 45-70 set-up. Anyone have any experience with how Trailboss meters through the Pro Auto Disk?

aspangler
10-22-2013, 11:04 AM
In my experience the flake powders are not as consistent in the Pro Auto Disk. Trailboss is the worlds worst to run through a measure as it is so fluffy. I have had better luck with the Trailboss by weighing a charge then using my black powder measure to fill the cases after using the weighed charge to calibrate the measure. JMHO

44Vaquero
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
90C,

I have been running TB through 2 of my Lee Auto Disc units. One is set up for 44 Mag and the other is .45 ACP. It meters about the same as Bullseye, you need to run the press for 6 or 10 rounds to settle the powder and then it meters +/- a 10th. Keep the hopper about 2/3 full at all time, never let it go below 1/2. Operating the press in a steady manor also contributes to consistent drop.

I think for 45/70 you will need a double disk kit?

I have lapped the hopper support rails to bring the Powder hopper down tighter on the disk (resulting in much less powder leakage).

1bluehorse
10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I've used the Pro disc measure with TB and it works just fine....that was in 45 colt, and 357 for some light fun loads (4 and 6 gr. loads)....I did load some 45-70's using TB but did them on a single stage and hand charged the cases....IIRC they were 16gr under 410gr cast and were powder puffs to shoot...so I can't answer to the larger amount being thrown in that measure..

joec
10-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I use a triple disk setup with trailboss and my 45-70. With the 1.26, 1.02, and top disk .66 I get 12.8 - 13.0 gr of trail boss.

aussie-dave
10-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I have very good results.

A handy tip though is to make a baffle for the bottom of the hopper so as the powder level drops (decreasing weight) it does not affect the amount of powder being dispensed. Here is a downloadable and printable PDF with instructions and templates.

http://www.allmantrading.com/reloading/baffle.pdf

44Vaquero
10-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Aussie-dave,

Those are very nice templates! Thanks for posting the PDF. I will be printing them out tonight and making a few from flashing material on hand.

blikseme300
10-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Aussie-dave,

Those are very nice templates! Thanks for posting the PDF. I will be printing them out tonight and making a few from flashing material on hand.

Another Thank You for sharing the link, Aussie-Dave.

I have not used flake powder through mine but what I have found with the double disk is that stick powder drops more consistently using 2 smaller cavities combined than a single large cavity. Varget, IMR4895 & Reloder19 are examples of powders that drop better using 2 disks. YMMV

2wheelDuke
10-26-2013, 02:53 AM
I've had decent results with Trail Boss in the Pro Auto Disk.

LeftyDon
10-26-2013, 12:36 PM
90C,

I have been running TB through 2 of my Lee Auto Disc units. One is set up for 44 Mag and the other is .45 ACP. It meters about the same as Bullseye, you need to run the press for 6 or 10 rounds to settle the powder and then it meters +/- a 10th. Keep the hopper about 2/3 full at all time, never let it go below 1/2. Operating the press in a steady manor also contributes to consistent drop.

I think for 45/70 you will need a double disk kit?

I have lapped the hopper support rails to bring the Powder hopper down tighter on the disk (resulting in much less powder leakage).

That's about the results that I've had too. Double disk kit and no real problems.