PDA

View Full Version : Integrally Suppressed, User Servicable Cast Boolit Shooting Savage

HotGuns
10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Here's one that I just got done that I thought might interest some of our shooters here. Its a dual purpose gun, one to hunt with and to shoot cast boolits with.This is one of the few integrally suppressed rifles that is user serviceable. This rifle started out life as a .223 Savage, and it ended up with an 8" barrel chambered for the .300 Blackout. The tube fits over the barrel and allows for 10" of suppression. The stainless baffles actually interlock so that there is no powder fouling or carbon buildup that can interfere with removal of the baffles.

The guy that I built this for just recently got into cast boolit shooting and after looking around the net for awhile he figured out that most manufacturers do no recommend shooting cast through integrally suppressed rifles that must be sent back to the builder for cleaning. Not wanting to get into a time issue and lots of paper work, he asked me if I could build him one.

So I did and here it is. It balances well and the barrel is 18" long. Although the shroud makes it look heavy, its actually not that heavy at all and its easy to use in a tree stand. I sent it to a guy here in Arkansas, Don Mullins of Camo Solutions that really has an eye for detail and who's work is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to hydro- dipping. Having used a couple of local guys that were into hydro-dipping, I wasn't pleased with the results. This one was done so well that Don will be getting my work from here on out. Its hard to find a true craftsman these days and Don is one of them. They seem to be a dying breed these days.

This one wears the new Nikon 300 scope, which has various reticles that are calibrated for the trajectory of your bullets. They have a program on the computer, you simply plug in the numbers and print if off and although I've only taken it out to 100 yards, it seems to be dead on at whatever range you set it up for. Slapping a 200 gong with 220 grain bullets moving at 1050 was no problem at all. That bullet really whacks the target with authority.

After shooting it, I am very pleased. It is accurate and it is quiet, in fact its as quiet as any Blackout that I have ever heard. The camo pattern is a Real Tree "Tree Stand" which looks good on this gun. I took it to one of the local gun shops and it was very well received, people really seem to like it. After zerioing it out, I removed the cap and the baffle stack slid right out...just as it should.

I like this thing so much that I am going to hate to see it leave when the guys Form 4 comes in...so much so that I am thinking of making one for myself. I have a Rem. 700 that I have killed numerous deer with while using a suppressor, it just makes sense to have an integral for a rifle that you only shoot subsonic through. Its just too fun and once you shoot suppressed stuff you hate to shoot anything loud again.

We are going to put some 247 NOE's through it to see how it does. So far in my other rifles it has been a very accurate bullet.

So what do you think?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/1383828_644946435545838_915324949_n.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/HotGuns/media/1383828_644946435545838_915324949_n.jpg.html)

Here's another shot just for fun...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/ShootingBob.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/HotGuns/media/ShootingBob.jpg.html)

Artful
10-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Love the idea
- Not much on the camo dip - how do you repair it when you scratch it?
- Don't know that I'd use Remington 700 action
- Now smaller action would be the cat's meow I'd think
- I keep looking at the Mossberg 223
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mossberg_MVP_Patrol_556_A2_Scp_Sights.jpg

So is that a two transfer gun? on SBR and one Can or did you get it on one tax?

Whiterabbit
10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
love it.

subsonic
10-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Pretty neat.

HotGuns
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Its a one stamp gun since the barrel is 18" long. I have used every action out there to build a gun and I do use a lot of Remingtons. Haven't had any issues with them yet.

I don't pay the tax. I'm a SOT so I just build them and whoever buys them pays the tax.

I built this gun for a customer and everything on it is specified. The camo dip finishes, if done right wear very well.

DanWalker
10-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Nice work! I'm looking for a couple cans. I'd like one to go on a DI45 AR upper (sbr) and one to pull double duty on a Ruger GSR 308 and a 7.62x39 AR. If this is work you can do, please let me know. Thanks.

HotGuns
10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
I can and do Dan. Look at the Huntertown Arms .308 Kestral for a user survivable can that you can shoot cast bullets through that will do double duty on both the .308 an 7.62.
There is also a new can out made by X-caliber that is a .45 can that is user serviceable that is comparable to the industry standard AAC Tirant, for a lot less. I've got one on the way to use as a Demo model, from what I've heard it's pretty good.

elginrunner
10-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Whats the O.D. on that can/bbl?

dg31872
10-25-2013, 08:23 AM
I know they say that if you gotta ask, then you can't afford it, but, I gotta ask, how much does a rig like that set you back?

Whiterabbit
10-25-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't see the barrel nut, so it looks action sized. The internet tells me the savage action OD is 1.375", so I'm gonna guess the barrel is 1.375" OD.

subsonic
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
The Huntertown Kestral .308 cans are very nice, user serviceable (important with cast), quiet and priced well.

I am sold out at the moment, but have more coming on form 3s.

filthygovmploye
10-29-2013, 12:04 AM
looks good! lotsa fear out there that they gonna close the registry or up the tax price... get in line while the gettin is.... gettable?

HotGuns
10-29-2013, 09:15 PM
That's a rumor that's been going on for years.

That's one of the few branches of Government that actually makes money. I don't see it shutting down.

Dave18
11-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I know they say that if you gotta ask, then you can't afford it, but, I gotta ask, how much does a rig like that set you back?

back in 78, there was a smith 76 that I wanted badly at a class3 gunshop in fortwayne, managed to get the money gathered up (a whole 1200 bucks back then)and went in , pointed to the 76 and said what will that total up to(referring to sales tax ect) , dude on counter blew me back the quote of if you have ask you cant afford it thing, and I blew back at him about if a person is writing a check you want to know what to write, this dude still blew me **** till we were in a full fledged scream fest, calling each other everything under the sun, and the whole time I kept telling the ignorant turd , I was going to buy it!, cant you get that through your F@%$$ing head! needless to say when it was said and done, I was told to leave and never come back,with the cops standing there listening to the argument,shaking their heads of ***? and through out the mess, I kept telling everyone , I have the money, I have a check, what IS the total including sales tax, and the dude would not go beyond that, outside of yelling about the asking /cant afford deal, what a jerk, and to this day I still tell people about that place and what happened, [smilie=b:

HotGuns
11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
That gun, just like you see it, rings, scope, camo job runs 2500.
I cant build them fast enough.

I also offer the option of your gun plus 800 bucks.

Of course, being suppressed is another 200 on top of that for the tax stamp.

Mozz
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow nice looking deer gun, not much into the camo, personal choice.

This is the first time that i have read a thread and not thought i wish we could have one of those... being in the UK we are restricted, no hand guns, no semi auto... and you have to have 'hunting' on your licence to buy bullet or ammo for stacking. But we can have moderators (suppressors your world), i have 6 moderators slots on my licence and have 2, 308, and 6mm at no extra cost...

Take care...D

How come? well apparently someone challenged the police on H&S grounds can't stalk deer with hearing protection...

Whiterabbit
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
if a yahoo tried that here, HSUS would fund the defense and argue that if that's the case, you shouldn't hunt at all.

DanWalker
11-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I did some research and have a question. I hope you don't mind the hijack. In 1937(the year NFA was passed) Average ANNUAL income was $1700. This "Tax" ($200)equated to 1/8 of a persons annual income. How was this HUGE tax not an infringement upon their 2nd ammendment rights, in the same way a "poll tax" was considered an infringement upon a persons right to vote?

subsonic
11-05-2013, 06:28 PM
If you want to get right down to it all firearms laws are unconstitutional because of the 2nd Amendment.

But I digress...

Artful
11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I did some research and have a question. I hope you don't mind the hijack. In 1937(the year NFA was passed) Average ANNUAL income was $1700. This "Tax" ($200)equated to 1/8 of a persons annual income. How was this HUGE tax not an infringement upon their 2nd ammendment rights, in the same way a "poll tax" was considered an infringement upon a persons right to vote?

The price of a Thompson SMG in 1937 was $200 - the NFA tax cost the same effectively doubling the price of the gun. Remember it's not about raising revenue or controlling guns - it's about controlling people.

DanWalker
11-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I get that. I was just wondering why no one ever made the legal argument against it, based on that concept that I outlined. Seems like a good argument could've been made......

Artful
11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Why are short barreled shotguns illegal without NFA
- the military used them in WW1 but the .gov argument was they didn't have any purpose but crime.
http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/M97Trench-gun.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Miller

On May 15, 1939 the Supreme Court, in an opinion by Justice McReynolds, held:

The National Firearms Act, as applied to one indicted for transporting in interstate commerce a 12-gauge shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long without having registered it and without having in his possession a stamp-affixed written order for it, as required by the Act, held:

1. Not unconstitutional as an invasion of the reserved powers of the States. Citing Sonzinsky v. United States, 300 U. S. 506,[1] and Narcotic Act cases. P. 307 U. S. 177.

2. Not violative of the Second Amendment of the Federal Constitution. P. 307 U. S. 178.
The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

And the .gov continued to use them in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and today
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/m41.gif
And look they have gotten even shorter.

paul h
11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I get that. I was just wondering why no one ever made the legal argument against it, based on that concept that I outlined. Seems like a good argument could've been made......

Because no one wants to spend the millions in legal fees it would require to fight it, not to mention the smg collectors would probably have a fit if their guns no longer had their over-inflated values.

nekshot
11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a simple question. What are the negatives to using a 358 bore with 12 inch twist for sub sonic heavies in either 357 mag or 35 remington with suppression? You really have some long heavy boolits in this bore diameter. I do have a 300acc but wonder about the 35 calibers. The reason I ask is I have some 358 barrels in 12 twist and pondering what to do with them.

DanWalker
11-08-2013, 12:17 PM
and what do these barrels fit?

Whiterabbit
11-08-2013, 04:56 PM
love that. a 358 gremlin or 357mag or 357 max depending on gun. Can't ask for more than that. Actually, in a 16" barrel a 357 max can do 1700 fps with a 250 grain bullet, so such a large case isn't even needed. 357 mag would be more than enough.

I have similar dreams with a 7mm and a cut down 223 case.

nekshot
11-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I have the one threaded for a large ring mauser, the others can be what ever. It seems to me a 35 cal suppressed would be the cats meow, but what do I know.

kawasakifreak77
11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
1. That is ******!

2. For anyone wondering, since the Kestrel was mentioned, I shot that can alongside a YHM Phantom M2 QD. AAC Micro 7, 300blk with factory Hornady 208gr Jwords.

Four of us standing there all easily agreed the Phantom was FAR quieter than the Kestrel. It was like an air rifle, if that whereas the Kestrel had a much louder, sharper tone to it. And I was wanting the Kestrel since it's cheaper, user servicable & not QD as I've only got one host.

Being a lifetime investment, I stepped up to the Phantom. The one thing about the Phantom, it's HEAVY. Like '*** did they make this out of?' heavy.

Artful
11-12-2013, 09:24 PM
YHM Phantom M2 QD is 28 or if newer version 25 oz - they have a LT version at 20 oz
and of course Titanium .30 Cal. Q.D. Phantom at 15 oz

The biggest problem is cleaning especially if using cast boolits.