PDA

View Full Version : Linotype: The Film

Jailer
10-20-2013, 10:52 PM
If you're a subscriber to Amazon prime there is a great documentary film on the Linotype machine and it's history. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who have quite a bit of knowledge of these machines but it was a fascinating watch and a wealth of knowledge for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RI1UFK/ref=wtls_list_pr_0/ref=avod_wl_watch_now

Frank46
10-20-2013, 11:30 PM
When I was a kid in high school one of the classes was print shop. I had a tour of the Long Island press and they gave us the $5 dollar tour. Was facsinated by the linotype machines. The newspaper is long gone and the last time I was in the area just an empty building. Course that was many many moons ago. Frank

Bad Water Bill
10-21-2013, 03:51 AM
I knew a lino operator when the Chiraq papers wanted to get rid of them.

In order to prevent a strike and complete shut down of their papers the unions demanded and won a deal that every member would have a paycheck till they turned 65. Not only that but their children had the same deal.

They sat in the lunchroom for their 8 hours reading etc but they had to be on the property for those 8 hours.

No wonder he could hit his second job full of vim and vigor when he said HELLO to me.

I doubt the contract is still in place today.