PDA

View Full Version : Super flux!

prs
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
The past few casting sessions I have used Kellogs Original All Bran cerial as my flux agent. Sprinkle a tablespoonful onto the surface when pot reaches temp, let it toast, and use a putty knife to roil-up the depths. The little ropes of cerial make a tough carbon web over the surface that slowly deteriorates to a fine black dust over about an hour, then sprinkle again. As long as it retains its rope form, it continues to be a viable flux as alloy is added. Just add a bit of bee's wax as a reduction catalyst/cleaner.

Other cerials I have tried (oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits) presented the same problem I encountered using pine or oak sawdust; some of the carbon particles would manage to get to the bottom with the rigerous stirring required and bond to the bottom pour orifice. But, this has not occured over quite a number of pot fulls with this stuff. Odor is neither strong, nor unpleasant. Smoke amount similar to pine saw dust, or less. Needs a seperate reduction agent such as wax, whereas pine saw dust already has rosin or sap.

Give it a try to see if you can verify or refute.

prs

geargnasher
10-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Bran doesn't need a separate reduction agent. The sap/rosin/grease/oil/wax can speed the process when using plant pulp for flux, but not necessary.

Reduction is half of the reduction-oxidation reaction. Combustion is a type of redox reaction, therefore anything that burns will reduce oxides by transferring electrons to another molecule, in this case carbon. Your metal oxide junk + burning hydrocarbons = elemental metals + carbon dioxide (g) and some other, minor compounds containing hydrogen and the stuff in the ash.

Gear

Mal Paso
10-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Watch out for Raisins or the Tinsel Fairy will visit. :wink:

bhn22
10-19-2013, 06:28 PM
And it should help keep your bottom pour pot flowing properly.

willie_pete
10-19-2013, 07:17 PM
And it should help keep your bottom pour pot flowing properly.

[smilie=l:

WP

nhrifle
10-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Genius! Someone finally found a good use for that stuff!

capt.hollis
10-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Very cool.. I'll be trying this tmrw! :)

prs
10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Very cool.. I'll be trying this tmrw! :)

How did it go?

prs

bangerjim
10-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Interesting. Have tired it with brown sugar and CoffeeMate, but never lead!

Will have to try a bowl or two!

banger

detox
10-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Needs a seperate reduction agent such as wax, whereas pine saw dust already has rosin or sap.

Give it a try to see if you can verify or refute.

prs

So you also throw in a small piece of wax when fluxing with All Bran?

capt.hollis
10-20-2013, 10:11 PM
How did it go?

prsnot well , I ate em , lol. Will try them soon . They got me working when I thought I was going to be off

prs
10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
So you also throw in a small piece of wax when fluxing with All Bran?

Or, the other way around. I use the wax to return that good grey matter to the melt stirring until the smoke clears; then sprinkle the cereal and let it toast before stirring again. Bottom pouring, so
I leave the charring cereal to cover the surface.

prs

ElDorado
10-20-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. It tastes the same as sawdust.

alamogunr
10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Can you also use the small pieces and fines left in the bottom of the box? I eat a lot of All Bran(don't ask) but throw away the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of the interior bag. I wouldn't mind mixing a little of the good stuff if that could be used.

prs
10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
The fines would be effective, not sure they would last as long before becoming ash. Whatever you use, let it sit on top to dehydrate before stirring the pot.

prs