PDA

View Full Version : Gott'a New Pietta Coming

hylander
10-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Gott'a 1858 8" .44 coming from MikeyPooh :smile:
Looking forward to doing some BP shooting again. Will be ordering an extra cylinder or two.
Also at some point will be getting a Kirst .45 converter :cool:

I need a couple of things, what do Ya'll recommend:
RB Mold, Conical Boolit Mold.
Portable cylinder reloading stand.
Powder measure.
Best place to order Wonder wads

GunSlingerNM
10-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Don't forget powder, round balls and caps. Welcome back.

Hellgate
10-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Let us know where you find caps. I would recommend getting the LEE double cavity .454 reound ball mold and the double cavity conical mold for the 44 cap & ball revolvers. I would recommend you buy revolver wads from Circle fly. You can get them prelubed or not. I get the 45 cal 1/2" thick wads and then split them into either two or 3 wads (1/4 or 1/8" thick). They are more economical than wonder wads. You can also order felt sheets and punch out wads by chucking the punch into a drill press and make your own to lube with whatever lube you think is best. I use deer tallow or tallow and beswax but 50/50 olive oil and beeswax has worked well too.

hylander
10-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks guys,
I just got back from Reno, it is a 110 mile drive one way.
went to Cabelas and Scheels
Bought 777fff Powder, Caps, Extra cylinder and Wads for a Gun I don't even have yet :mrgreen:
Tomorrow I order round ball and conical molds and assorted other goodies :smile:

I found the CCI #10 Caps at Scheels, I bought 500 and they only had 500 left, $4.95 per 100
The local shop here has Remington caps but they are $7.00 per 100 :eek:
No Black powder to be found, I have used 777fff before and like it a lot.

William Yanda
10-20-2013, 10:11 AM
"Also at some point will be getting a Kirst .45 converter"

Choose your caliber and you can start collecting brass now. Reloads are much more economical than buying factory stuff.
Besides, you will be loading to cowboy levels, around 850fps or under.

Hellgate
10-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Excess650,
I find it fascinating how one Remington will shoot all day and others will bind up after 1 or 2 cylinders are shot. I've got Euroarms Remingtons that only get a little gummy after 30 or so rounds but my Ubertis get gummy after about 10 even though I use both lube wads under the ball and grease over them. If I drop from 30 grs powder down to 20grs it adds about 50% mre shots before fouling up the cylinder pin.The Colt's revolvers go all day regardless.

GunSlingerNM
10-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Hellgate, I find the same thing in my Remmys, seems the narrow hole in the cylinder gums up quickly as compared to the other guns I own. Colts patterns with the wider holes and the grease humps on the arbor lets me shoot many more rounds. Plus and minus with each gun I own but I still love shooting em.