PDA

View Full Version : Datona Beach, FL

Wayne Smith
10-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Never been there, we will be there for a week in a week (Halloween week). Anything absolutely necessary to see/do while there?

Current plans:

1) offshore fishing with Capt. Leon Somers

2) Cape Canaveral

3) St. Augustine (Historical)

Vacations for us are generally rest/play, no major plans but to discover while we are there. The only thing we will schedule in advance is the fishing, and I am waiting on him to return my call.

carolina556
10-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Wayne, you would be selling yourself short if you didn't visit the World's largest Harley Davidson dealer just to look :) Also take a drive down on the beach when you get down there, you can't do that too in too many places in the country. Have fun, we go down there at least once a year (lived in FL for a long time)

popper
10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't know how much is left at Canaveral/Titusville. Tarpon Springs on the west side is neat, Pensacola has the naval air museum that is really good. I stayed away from the East side mostly hotels even back in the 50's. Tromped around the gulf quite a bit and didn't see much else interesting. Not even any 'T' thongs except on 250# NYC gals.

Rick N Bama
10-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach. Eat at Bernard's Surf while you're there.

Rick

Bad Water Bill
10-19-2013, 03:48 PM
WARNING -WARNING -WARNING

Do NOT leave your car unattended while on the beach.

When the tide comes in it COMES IN.

Yes I did help push several cars out before they were completely submerged. But that is another story for another day. :bigsmyl2:

willie_pete
10-19-2013, 04:01 PM
You can take a spin around the track if you are a racing fan.

WP

Riverpigusmc
10-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach. Eat at Bernard's Surf while you're there.

Rick

Ron Jon's owners are heavily anti gun...they tried to block legislation here that removes the weight of law on posted signs keeping us from carrying in businesses (they failed) Also tried to block the law allowing gunowners to lock guns in their vehicles in business parking lots (they failed).
St Augustine..the Spanish fort is pretty cool..and they have lots of ghost tours you can either participate in or laugh at. There is alse the St Augustine lighthouse, and the alligator farm.

garym1a2
10-19-2013, 08:37 PM
If you are USPSA shooter this is hard to beat on Nov 2-3,
8 stages and 400 rounds, lots of steel.

http://themonstermatch.net/?page_id=18

Leslie Sapp
10-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Go to St. Augustine early, find a place in the center of town to park, and just spend the day walking. Great place, my wife and I spent a week of our honeymoon there, and we still try to go back at least once a year. The light house is a nice trip, also.

MtGun44
10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Visit Fort Matanzas, too.

Awesome springs in the area if you are a snorkeler. PM me if you are going to have time and
want to hit these fresh water wonders.

Bill

NoZombies
10-20-2013, 01:43 AM
I think the firearms museum in St Augustine is still there. I haven't been in 20 years, but I loved it as a gun nut teenager.

Philngruvy
10-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Go to the Canaveral National Seashore Park . Miles of pristine beaches and all the wildlife to be found. Playalinda is another name for it. Caution, the very northern most beach may have more wildlife than you may want to see.

willie_pete
10-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Go to the Canaveral National Seashore Park . Miles of pristine beaches and all the wildlife to be found. Playalinda is another name for it. Caution, the very northern most beach may have more wildlife than you may want to see.

Two legged wildlife.;)

WP

Wayne Smith
10-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks, guys. No, Bill, regretfully I'm not a swimmer. We were planning a day in St. Augustine, thanks for confirming that. Humm, we've got a National Seashore in OBX, Pea Island, miles of pristine beaches but not that much of that kind of wildlife!