PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's first range trip

jaysouth
10-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Last week was fall break. It was my responsibility to amuse my 11 year old grandson for the week. Wed, I took him to the range for the first time. He shot a centerfire rifle for the first time and a handgun for the first time. He listened to the safety lecture and paid attention to safe handling. Friday, we went out again. He shot a Marlin 30-30 with reduced cast loads, a 30-30Imp with full pressure loads, a Handi .223 and one of my Glock 19s.

He was on his own, he had to load his own mags and safely cleared a stoppage. He demonstrated good and safe gun handling and was observant of other shooter. He fired the glock until his hands hurt so bad he finally put it down. His marksmanship was lousy but that improves with practice.

I am going to mark a calendar for a range trip twice a month. I am going to dedicate a Handi .357 to his range use. He will get 35 rounds and every target will be permanently filed. For fun and bragging rights, I take a handgun with 20 rounds. However the rifle work will be serious taking him through kneeling, sitting, and offhand positions at gradually increasing ranges.

I have wanted to get him shooting for a long time, but by waiting until he was ready, I think it will be a better learning experience for him. This is a great club because other shooters on the line let him shoot their guns a couple of time. He has begun exercises to strengthen his hands so he can shoot a Glock 20 the next time the owner shows up at the same time and offers a chance to shoot it. He cannot manage it now, and was smart enough to lay the gun down after shooting one round of 10 mm.

I think we have a win-win situation here. A youngster is getting a chance to safely enjoy a sport that most kids these days will never have a chance at, and is in the company of responsible adults who are interested in helping a youngster along.

Love Life
10-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Congratulations!!!

s mac
10-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Bravo, most gun accidents happen with uneducated people.

koehn,jim
10-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Good job.

M Hicks
10-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice work Jay. I have a hunch he will remember those times for the rest of his life. When he takes his grandkids to the range for the first time he will be thinking, "Now I know what Grandpa was feeling like."

w5pv
10-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Hammer the gun safety and soon it will be first nature with him.Marksmanship will come later but don't let him shoot too heavier loads that will get him to flinching.Teach him the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. Good luck

popper
10-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Really, he could handle a 10mm? Mine couldn't get a good grip on the 40, the 9 compact was better but he wanted to be macho and do the 40 (competitive with his older bro). He did good with the 308 AR, can't wait to get him onto a shotgun. Train them young, train them right. Good job.

jaysouth
10-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Really, he could handle a 10mm? Mine couldn't get a good grip on the 40, the 9 compact was better but he wanted to be macho and do the 40 (competitive with his older bro). He did good with the 308 AR, can't wait to get him onto a shotgun. Train them young, train them right. Good job.

No, he could not handle the 10 mm and really should not be shooting a 9mm Glock. To keep from getting further into my stash of rim fire .22s, I will load some .38 spl as low as they will reliably kick a bullet out the barrel.

I could have pushed him earlier, but when he asked me for a trip to the range, it seemed right. He listens, is developing good mechanical skills and has good muzzle discipline.

Every club that I have belonged to has always had youth programs that were quite generous to attract youngsters. But it seems it is getting harder and harder to get kids away from video games and smart phones. I feel lucky.

RED333
10-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Good on you Jay!!!

Win94ae
10-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a great grandson.

jaysouth
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Good form with the Glock. Cast boolits of course!

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/Nickiattherange040_zps242b63db.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jaysouth100/media/Nickiattherange040_zps242b63db.jpg.html)

You can't see the 165 RDs, but that's his load with 7 gr. Green Dot.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/Nickiattherange052_zpsd07c954b.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jaysouth100/media/Nickiattherange052_zpsd07c954b.jpg.html)

Artful
10-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Looking good

big dale
10-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Try loading a couple of boxes of 44 mag mouse fart loads... It may take a few weeks to get that grin off his face.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

AggieEE
10-22-2013, 11:01 AM
+1 on the congraduations. You're giving him memories that he will charish forever. I lost one of my grandfathers when I was about 4 I have some memories of him but not many. He was the real shooter on both sides of the family. I wish I had him back healthy for a while so I could have some fun with him and make some money with him shooting against some of the so called good shots. Enjoy your time with him.