PDA

View Full Version : Opening day of gun season

shaper
10-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I can now say I got a buck on opening day of gun season, just don't ask me how big it was. I thought it was a doe. And this is my first buck on my own land. Life is good.

Bored1
10-19-2013, 10:36 AM
NICE JOB!!! Share some pics!!

snuffy
10-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Pictures, or it didn't happen!?¿[smilie=s:

Details as well, load weapon, bullet or boolit, what mold---yada-yada--yada.

I'm gonna try myself this year, even if it means going on a public hunting area. My son has a new place, a rented cabin on a couple acres over by Sparta WI. He's going to check to see if we could hunt there.

Smoke4320
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
congrads .. meat in the freezer .. life is good especially when you get it on your own land

jeo22
10-19-2013, 11:45 AM
congrats

smoked turkey
10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I have shot a few "button" bucks that I thought were does. On one occasion I had time to study the deer and was sure it was a doe. However when the smoked cleared it was an obvious mistake. I don't like to shoot smaller bucks. However I can say that the button bucks I have eaten were the best venison I have ever had. A deer taken on your own land whether buck or doe is a trophy in my opinion. Congratulations.

gbrown
10-19-2013, 10:04 PM
As long as it is legal per the local rules and State laws, it is meat in the freezer. I hunt on a lease that requires a 5 inch spike, State law says 1 inch. Their call, I won't argue. I've killed bucks with some really weird antlers, tasted pretty good, is all I can say. As my dad always said, "I ain't never seen any recipes for the horns." LOL First deer on your land--really special.

shaper
10-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Pictures, or it didn't happen!?¿[smilie=s:

Details as well, load weapon, bullet or boolit, what mold---yada-yada--yada.

I'm gonna try myself this year, even if it means going on a public hunting area. My son has a new place, a rented cabin on a couple acres over by Sparta WI. He's going to check to see if we could hunt there.

Snuffy. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures but I can give the info on the shot.
The rifle is a 1975 Winchester 94 in 30-30. My son n law loaded the cartridge with a Sierra 125 gr, HP flat nose bullet using 33.3 gr, of IMR-4895. The distance to the deer was 60 yards with a slight down slope. One shot did the job.
Forgot to mention. The spikes were 6 inch which I couldn't see.

starmac
10-20-2013, 01:23 AM
I personally know two different people that shot does with very respectable racks. One mule deer in NM and one whitetail in east Tx. Does were not legal at the time in either case, but the game dept didn't push the issue.

missionary5155
10-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Good morning and Congradulations !
That would have to be a great joy to be able to hunt on your land and have the privaledge of popping a corn cruncher right there. May every bite be pleasant !
Mike in Peru

shaper
10-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Now for the rest of the story.
We do not hang a deer for a few days before cutting it up. We feld dress in the field then get it home as soon as possible. Then we skin it and cut it up into quarters and put the meat into a plastic garbage can dedicated to this process. I cover the meat with water the put in a half of a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda where it stays for about 8 hours. Then the water is poured out and we do the process again using the other half box. After pouring out the water the second time it is cut up and wraped. This process will get all of the blood out and it will not have the gamey tast.
My son n law aready had one deer in a can. So, while moving his can of meat and water, lifting my deer, skinning it, and cutting it up I pulled something in my back. I can't streatch or twist my body without a pain shooting up my back. Which makes a old saying come to mind. God will get you for bragging. I am now taking muscle relaxers and quietly sitting in my lounge chair.