PDA

View Full Version : Heart Issue: Spent Thur night & most of Friday in hospital

L1A1Rocker
10-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Sitting in the easy chair Thursday evening and started having symptoms of a heart attack. (localized burring pain over heart, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, weakness in left arm and sever dizziness) Car one wouldn't start. It chose this very moment to have the five year old battery die. Moved to car two. Off to hospital. Made a block and my symptoms subsided. Pulled into neighbors driveway to ask her advise. She's a retired surgical nurse.

She did a quick assessment, strong rapid steady heartbeat with elevated rhythm and slightly elevated pressure. She said go to hospital or call an ambulance. Her and her husband wound up taking me to ER.

Went right to a room in the ER, with no delay at all. While going trough the assessment in the ER I had another episode and was given a Nitro. Symptoms immediately subsided. I eventually was admitted and sent up to a room. While going through all the questions I had another episode and again, a Nitro took care of all the symptoms. About 10 minutes later I had another episode but without any chest pain this time. The charge nurse asked me to perform a vagal maneuver and my symptoms slowly dissipated. (it was kinda funny. She started to describe what she wanted me to do and I interrupted her by asking "vagal maneuver?" and she said "yes". I think she was surprised that I knew the term)

Well, I was admitted mostly because the ER doctor wanted to do a series of blood tests to check for blood markers that could tell if I had had a heart attack. They also did a chest xray and an echo cardiogram.

The results. No heart attack but, I've been diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. It's a thickening of the septum that causes pumping issues in the heart that results in a loss of blood flow. Right now I'm been prescribed a beta blocker and told to follow up in one week. I'll need to call Monday to make an appointment. Been doing some research on it and while it could be worse, there are rare accordance of this disease that can be very bad. I suspect that my follow up will include a stress test. Hopefully there will be no cath, but that sometimes is done in these cases.

So that's my tail for the week. Hope ya'lls is better.

For those interested, I came across this article that is VERY good at describing the disease: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/108/19/e133.full

Artful
10-19-2013, 10:32 AM
You didn't ask permission of the board to get sick - so knock it off!

And when the idiots put me on the treadmill for the stress test - whatever med's they gave me caused the results to be atypical and almost put me in a pine box so my suggestion is to bag whatever med's they have given you up until the stress test so they can see for themselves what your taking and not depend upon a doctor's write up.

Remember it's called a medical practice for a reason, so watch out for yourself.

snuffy
10-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Wow, scary night I bet!

Don't fear a cath, it's not all that bad, at least mine wasn't. They'll want to see for sure there's no blockages in the arterial pluming. Actually it was fascinating to see the blood flow patterns as the heart pumps. A 97% blockage of the LAD was found, angioplasty was unable to resolve it, so a stent was placed.

Good luck in the near future and complete knowledge and a treatment that allows you to continue to function on a normal level.

popper
10-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Blood markers test is somewhat effective if administered right away. Beta blockers will reduce BP and reduce risks (Afib isn't too bad but Vfib is a killer). Cardiac docs are getting pretty good at fixing problems now. Did you get to see the echo card? Kind of neat to see how things work. If they give you the chem stress test, it's weird but effective.

theperfessor
10-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Just finished taking a chemical stress test this morning and yes it is weird. The chemical causes a some shortness of breath and in my case some stomach cramping.

It did what three days of stool softeners hadn't - I won't be any more graphic than that.

Best wishes for a strong recovery, modern day medicine has its problems, but it's still better than the medical care of ten, fifteen or twenty years ago. But be the most informed patient you can be - its the best way to keep you alive and on good terms with your health care providers. I haven't found a Dr or nurse or med tech that wasn't willing to answer my questions if it is within their proper capacity to do so.

bhn22
10-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Growing old definitely ain't for sissies. I'm in constant afib myself. It does wear on you. My Doctor told me a couple of months ago to lower my stress level (work was hell) and make some other changes. Or else. I didn't ask him to elaborate...

Artful
10-21-2013, 01:48 AM
L1A1Rocker, how you feeling now?

L1A1Rocker
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
L1A1Rocker, how you feeling now?

Thanks for asking. I just got this computer on the hospital's wifi.

Admitted back to the Hospital yesterday. I have a different cardiologist now and he is taking this MUCH more seriously. Said my meds were WAY too low. He said that I'll be in the hospital until he is satisfied with the blood flow through my heart. I hope this can be corrected with meds. If not I'm looking at a septal ablation through a heart cath. I'm really not liking how this is going.

Edit to elaborate. I was putting a financial aid packet together for medical bill assistance yesterday. I needed a W2 copy that I had stored out in the barn. While walking out there I had a bad dizzy spell that made me sit down for a while. I also had some chest pain. I made it back to the house and re-read my discharge orders regarding returning symptoms. It said to go back to the ER.

I had had a couple of good days up till Monday. I had actually been rather lethargic most of the day Monday and my color was not good.

I'm getting real tired of this.

L1A1Rocker
10-22-2013, 05:14 PM
A musing update. I just noticed the dry erase board in my room. Under "Today's Goals:" the nurse wrote "pain management". Maybe that's why my nurses keep pushing morphine for me??? I don't like morphine - AT ALL! I get this crazy out of body, floating, feeling that really freaks me out. Anyhow, I did get them to run by the doctor to give my hydrochodine instead. I do much better with that.

L1A1Rocker
10-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Question. Why isn't "Today's goals:" something more practical like "stay alive"?

Recluse
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
A musing update. I just noticed the dry erase board in my room. Under "Today's Goals:" the nurse wrote "pain management". Maybe that's why my nurses keep pushing morphine for me??? I don't like morphine - AT ALL! I get this crazy out of body, floating, feeling that really freaks me out. Anyhow, I did get them to run by the doctor to give my hydrochodine instead. I do much better with that.

I'm not much of a fan of morphine under any circumstances. Dilaudin is much better--doesn't give me that floating out-of-control feeling. It also doesn't give me the heart and lung crush for the first five or ten seconds the way morphine does.

But again, it depends upon how severe the pain is. Pain is a symptom. You're in a hospital. You tell the charge nurse you're in pain, they give you a pain med and then note it on the chart as another symptom. Symptoms add up and give the doc a better picture of what is happening.

Do whatever they tell you to do to fix the problem. That's my admonishment to myself as well.

:coffee:

Charlie Two Tracks
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
You're right L1A1Rocker. Sounds like a main priority to me.

North_of_60
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow, scary night I bet!

Don't fear a cath, it's not all that bad, . . . .

Snuffy's right. I fly an air ambulance out of Fairbanks AK. We get "cath lab standbys" almost daily and none of our pilots has ever flown one yet. We will be praying for you.

L1A1Rocker
10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Snuffy's right. I fly an air ambulance out of Fairbanks AK. We get "cath lab standbys" almost daily and none of our pilots has ever flown one yet. We will be praying for you.

Thanks for all the well wishes. It's nice having the labtop here this time. The hospital wi fi is about as slow as dial up, but at least it's something.

Artful
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Yes, Stay Alive is priority one - and dial up is way faster then when I started with 300 bps acoustical modem's on BBS sites.

Lance Boyle
10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Glad you're on top of this L1A1, get well soon.

Hell at the rate you guys are going into the hospital we'll have to start another sub forum.

Casters recovery room?

popper
10-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Rocker I had the ablation years ago, recovery isn't bad. When the surgeon saw the look on my face when he told me how he would remove the lymph node next to the aorta, he figured I'd say nope.

Artful
10-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Hell at the rate you guys are going into the hospital we'll have to start another sub forum.

Casters recovery room?

Sicko Forum would draw some non-caster's I'd bet

6bg6ga
10-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Hope you are doing better now and responding to treatment. I had a massive heart attack in 2000 with two stents being put in and one blockage still remaining that they cannot get to. Also 1/3 of my heart is damaged due to the event. My comment it this....when you have any of the signs go to the hospital. Its no sign of weakness to do so and it will prolong your life.

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Last night the doctor came into my room aroung 11:00pm. We talked a bit under the assumption that the Echo would be good. We talked about the things I could and could not do. My biggest limitation will be lifting. He said 25 pounds. I went on to ask about buckets of WWs and he said that loading was an absolute no no. BUT, it should be fine for me to unload off the tailgate straight down, and then use a dolly to move them around. I'll need to change how I do my first "dirty" melt though. I had just melted down in a cast iron skillet. Then pick that up and pour the lead into ingot molds. That will be too much with this condition. I'll need a deeper pot and a dipper now.

Anyhow, I just got back from having the Echo done. I'll know something in a few hours.

buletdoc
10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Hope everything goes ok. Had heart attack on 40th birthday. They say it was caused because of blod clot brought on by stress. Had been hand casting& sizing for 48 straight hours. Drove myself to hosp. Started with feeling of indigestion at 6 am then everything went away & felt fine till about 4:30 pm. Got cold clammy sweat, sick onstomach and tired. They didn't find blood markers for 6 hours. Doc wanted to do stress test in AM. But for reason they also did upper GI that he didn't know about. Bearly got to third level when chest started up. Got nitro, didn't help, got second nitro and passed out. Woke in intensive care and they tried nitro drip same effect(can't tolarate nitro). Did fine, on beta blockers, blood thiners & lots more. Still casting with ballisti cast machine. Haad lots of caths no blockages. Then found 6, 2-95, 1-99 3-90. Had 6 bypasses followed about year later with 2 stints. Just turned 60 Sept. 11 and still going. Hope this doesn't depress you but shows that modern med in this country is good. Just hope Obamacare doesn't ruin everything. Hurry and get well. Best wishes.

TheCelt
10-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I can tell ya one thing L1A1Rocker, Cardiomyopathy is nothing to sneeze at but it's doable. When they did my Echo and Cath they said my EF was 15% (Normal is 75%-80%) and that I needed a heart transplant, that was 2010. I refused the transplant and My EF is now 35% and stable. I ain't runnin no marathons but I did just hunt Elk in Idaho for 10 days and that's sayin something. I have dilated Cardiomyopathy and the damage to my left ventricle is severe. I do have a Pacemaker/Defibulator in my chest but it's only a minor nuisance. I'm just telling you all this so you will know that you can beat this and have a good long run. Used to be it was a bad deal but with modern meds and treatments you'll do just fine.

longranger
10-23-2013, 02:58 PM
2 heart stents last April, Lower R abdominal pain, thinking gall bladder. Went to hospital in Buffalo they gave me some Pepcid, never put me on a monitor.Symptoms never went away drove to CA got worse went to ER in Pleasanton CA. Did not even get my wallet out,they had 2 IV's and a Nitro drip in 3 min. Doc says "your having a H/A and were going to save your life" .In the cath lab in 20 min. in my room in 45 min. Zero heart damage,congenital narrowed artery,same thing killed my Dad at age 51. Cardiologist tells me"good thing you have a strong heart".Years of cardio related activity actually saved my heart from permanent damage.

Artful
10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Anyhow, I just got back from having the Echo done. I'll know something in a few hours.

And the results are?

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Spoke to the doctor. he said that I've responded very well to the medication and I'm going home tonight. I asked about blood flow rates comparing the two Echo cardiograms. He said that I had improved from 59% to 11%. I believe that was regarding the amount of blockage though, not flow rate.

Artful
10-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Excellent News - keep up the good work

bayjoe
10-23-2013, 08:37 PM
WOW man you missed the widow maker. Congratulations !!! Now take care of your self, exercise and diet. More reloading/more shooting is what the doctor ordered

geargnasher
10-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Holy carp, Jim. Anything we can do?

I'm pm'ing you Mrs G's phone number in case I'm out of pocket, make sure your mother has it too.

Ian

Artful
10-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Stupid me, I didn't ask if you need / want anything - what can we do to help besides add encouragement?

L1A1Rocker
10-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Holy carp, Jim. Anything we can do?

I'm pm'ing you Mrs G's phone number in case I'm out of pocket, make sure your mother has it too.

Ian
Thanks, I'll be sure to put the numbers down on a Post-It on the fridge.

Stupid me, I didn't ask if you need / want anything - what can we do to help besides add encouragement?

No, nothing I can think of for the moment. I may end up doing some fundraising sales in the future though to cover some bills. Thank you for asking.

Well, I'm home and have orders to follow up at the hospital's clinic in one week. Plus the Cardiac Doctor that got my case at the hospital wants me to follow up with him personally at his office in one month. I really like this Cardiac Doctor. He seems to really know his stuff and my neighbor (the retired surgical nurse) spoke highly of him. I wonder if he'll be up on accepting guns/ammo for payment.

Thanks again to all of you for your warm wishes and prayers.

Artful
10-24-2013, 04:43 PM
I really like this Cardiac Doctor. He seems to really know his stuff and my neighbor (the retired surgical nurse) spoke highly of him. I wonder if he'll be up on accepting guns/ammo for payment.

Hopefully you can make accomidations, but few doctors of those I have met are into guns. Of course I'm now in the Big City (phoenix).

L1A1Rocker
10-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Hopefully you can make accomidations, but few doctors of those I have met are into guns. Of course I'm now in the Big City (phoenix).

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking. This last spring I did pay the A/C guy with 100rds of 9mm.

Ghost101
10-25-2013, 06:36 AM
L1A1Rocker, Best wishes to you. At the age of 39, 61 now, I had 4 heart attacks. They tried the stints, but they didn't work on my problems. They wanted to do a bypass and I refused. Didn't have a good feeling about going under the blade for this.
For all these years I have totally given this situation over to God. I do take my meds an go to see my doctor every once an awhile. Well he wanted to take a look two years ago to see what was going on in there. Put that little probe in an told me that my body had grown more vessels to give my heart all the blood it needed. I joked with him about a pilots med check off an said I would be good to go. I'm not nor will I ever be a pilot.
Now I'm trying to shake a new Blessing, Parkinsens. Back on bended knee giving it all to God. It is really amazing how all of this has worked for me. Not a Bible Thumper here, but I do know it works. All these Blessing have made me a better person.
I will be on that knee for you this morning. Hopefully you will do the same.

God Bless You

Ghost101