PDA

View Full Version : Lee classic loader for 45-70

crackerjack57
10-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I just bought myself a new H&R 45-70 single shot break barrel rifle. I believe the 22" barrel but still dont have the exacts in my head. I have done some paper patching for my 30 cal's and am considering doing that for my new toy. what is the best lee mold in around the 400 grain area to get and can i paper patch with the lee classic loader or is it better with the conventional die's? my targets are paper, deer and elk. I should probably add, do i need gas checks if going the non paper patched method? also im thinking that 2 different molds will be needed. one for patching and one without. some insight would be appreciated.

milkman
10-19-2013, 04:47 AM
I have the same rifle and I love the little thing. Compact and easy to get around and shoots really well. I tried the Lee 340g, but settled on the 500g gas check. It will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yd. if I do my part. If you keep the velocity reasonable recoil is not bad at all. I found my best load with 46g of 4895 and a booit cast from chilled lead shot. No leading, good expansion. For plinking and deer size game 14g of Herco works well.