PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of police officers

Goatwhiskers
10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
A good friend of mine, a former Marine, works for the local SO and is in charge of the range, all firearms instruction, etc. They were qualifying a group of auxiliary types yesterday, various sidearms. Using reloads by a commercial reloader, local area. Smith M59 had a head separation, my friend tried to shut things down for analysis of the situation, over-ruled by supervisor, said it was the gun's fault. A second Smith 9mm blew out a head, again it's the gun's fault. Then a Beretta M92 blew out, buggered the slide and the shooter is in the hospital with various cuts and brass in his eye. Again, it's the gun's fault. Where do they find these idiots? Guess we'll never get the loader to admit to faulty loads, or even to old brass. Wonder how big the law suit will be. GW

Hogdaddy
10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Supervisor is proly the one who reloaded ammo ; )
H/D

w5pv
10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
I would say that this warrants looking into at the least.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Where do they find these idiots?

Let's not start painting "police officers" with one brush stroke.

It sounds like one stubborn and illogical thinking supervisor. The "group of auxiliary types" are probably not knowledgeable in our craft of loading handgun ammo and figured their supervisor was knowledgeable.

While I spent 5 years as a volunteer Police Reserve, I am not or never have been a Peace officer. But I did learn that many Peace officers view their firearm as 'just' a tool, just like a Squad car...you don't need to know any more than how to use it.

ctious
10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Did your friend happen to grab a few rounds that he vould pull down*

Cactus Farmer
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
To the untrained in such matters ,isn't it always the guns fault? I do hope some samples of the suspect ammo was saved for a forensic exam.

montana_charlie
10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Supervisor is proly the one who reloaded ammo ; )
H/D
Or, he was instrumental in making the purchase from the local reloading company ...

knifemaker
10-19-2013, 02:48 PM
I would guess the real reason that the supervisor would not put any blame on the ammo is due to a tight
department budget and they do not want the expense of paying a higher price for ammo. I have seen this happen many times with various departments that look for the cheapest price they can get for ammo.
Also by blaming the gun, that is owned by the aux. officer, they remove department libility for faulty department issued ammo and shift the libility on to the officer and gun maker.
We had a Capt. in our dept. that did this until the officer's gun was examined by experts who found no alterations to the gun and the gun was in specs for a 1911. Only then did the Capt stop buying cheap reloads and supplied new factory ammo for dept. practice. They also payed for the replacement of the wood grips that got blown out when the case blew out at the web.