PDA

View Full Version : cast bullet loads for bolt action 30-30 help please .

10 Spot Terminator
10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I just aquired about 200 165 gr. hollowpoint gas checked casts in a trade and am wanting to load them in a Savage 340 bolt action 30-30 . Am hoping to get around 1800 fps and wonder if any of you have loaded for any of the various bolt guns out there and am looking for powder recommendations . I have some H4895 , H335, H322, Varget, IMR4064, W748 and a pretty vast array of faster pistol/shotgun powders . The bullets ( boolits ) are cast at 13 BHN as best I can decipher with my Lee tester and lubed with a black ( thinking moly ) lube . The bullets are of a Loverin design similar to Ltman/Ideal 311414 in design but as stated are hollow pointed and gas checked . If you have any insight for me I would greatly appreciate it . I tried to use the search function by typing in 30-30,,,, 30/30,,,, 30 30 to look for archived help and all I got was no items found as the reply . Dunno what I did wrong there but seems like there has to be some stuff hidden away I should be able to pull up . Look forward to your replies guys !!!

10 Spot

Goatwhiskers
10-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Get a Lyman #48 loading book, has all the info you require. I will throw out a personal opinion, tho. You don't need HP for hunting, a WFN will do all you need without needless tissue destruction. GW

sthwestvictoria
10-18-2013, 04:11 PM
These two loads are from my Savage 340 in 30-30 using the Lee Molds, ACWW with 2%tin added:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2d8i1a9.jpg

Only 50 metres however the lower load shows potential. AR2208 is made by ADI is sold to the US the re-packaged by Hodgdon as varget. This loading data is from the 170grain jacketed loading data from ADI, Hodgdon will have the same data on it's own website.

I have also loaded the 170grain load with 28.5grains AR2208, velocities 1790, 1741, 1756 and 1715fps, accuracy was not as good.

Be aware with OAL at 65.5mm (loaded to crimp groove - I don't crimp) a loaded round will fit in magazine but not eject unfired as the nose catches on the front of the ejection port, just needs a bit of a wriggle to get unfired rounds out.

To improve your searching, click on advanced search then use the drop down that says "search titles only"

.30/30 Guy
10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I am using 27.5 and 28 grains of 4895 under a 165 grain gas checked boolit. If I remember correctly they are moving at about 1975 fps.

cbrick
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
18.0 - 19.0 gr SR 4759, works very well with boolits from 160 to 190 gr. Standard primer, depending on your chamber seat to kiss the rifling.

Rick

williamwaco
10-18-2013, 06:50 PM
9 grains of Unique is a "standard" .30-30 cast bullet load.

It is not fast but it is very accurate.

odis
10-18-2013, 06:53 PM
In my wives 788 with a 170gr boolit from my accurate mold I have had my best luck with 4759, I've never tried any of the powders you have on hand.

wmitty
10-18-2013, 11:01 PM
4895, 335 and 4064 all will work well in the .30-30. Try loading 4895 in 5 round lots from 26.0 gr to 30.0 grains in one grain increments and see which gives the best groups. You might want to mike the diameter of your slugs and make sure they are larger than your groove diameter. I have two 340's and a 788 in .30-30 and if the 340's had a better trigger I think they'd shoot really well.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Stevens 325, 311041 sized .309, 27 gr. H335, WLP primers, 1980 fps from 21" barrel. Very accurate, a better trigger would help, but the Savage / Stevens triggers are pretty rough.

runfiverun
10-18-2013, 11:49 PM
34 grs [a case full with a boolit on top] of 4831 will give you 1800 fps with that boolit.
I shoot a copy of the loverign in my 340 savage and it goes from 1600 to faster than jaxketed with about any powder I try in it.
I use aa-2230 mostly [which is real close to the H-322 you have] about 21-22 grs should get you 1800 fps. [off the top of my head]

Piedmont
10-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Somewhere around 25 grains of 4895 is real accurate in my 788.

10 Spot Terminator
10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys !

I should be able to get something going with all this info you guys have given me . I do have the Lyman 48th and it only shows the 311291 in a similar grain weight to the HPs' I will be loading but these bullets vary greatly in their design . I also have the AA2230 powder mentioned and may give it a try if the H4895 doesnt work out and possibly the H335 . I will post my results in a seperate thread when I get a satisfactory load worked up as well as tell of the results with the other loads getting there later on for you guys to view . Thanks much for your replies as well as the tip on using the search feature .

Til Later,
10 Spot

338RemUltraMag
10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
28-30 gr of Varget will get you where you wanna be, I have had good results with that charge weight and the RCBS 30-180-FN

sthwestvictoria
10-21-2013, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE=10 Spot Terminator;2438574. I do have the Lyman 48th and it only shows the 311291 in a similar grain weight to the HPs' I will be loading but these bullets vary greatly in their design . [/QUOTE]

You can use data for a projectile a bit heavier than yours, velocity will be a little higher. For example you could certainly use any data for 170grain-180grain projectiles. Don't use data for projectiles lighter than your projectile as pressure will be higher.

Do let us know how you get on.

Char-Gar
10-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Just why would a fellow ask for antidotal load data which comes from unknown, untested and unverified sources over lab pressure tested data available in a reputable published loading manual like the Lyman? I am beginning to think that infant immunization is not as good an idea as we once thought. The practice might be causing cognitive difficulties in some.

garym1a2
10-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Theirs more than a few on this sight I would trust their loads. Plus many times a reference book does not carry a lot of loads.

Just why would a fellow ask for antidotal load data which comes from unknown, untested and unverified sources over lab pressure tested data available in a reputable published loading manual like the Lyman? I am beginning to think that infant immunization is not as good an idea as we once thought. The practice might be causing cognitive difficulties in some.

Char-Gar
10-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Theirs more than a few on this sight I would trust their loads. Plus many times a reference book does not carry a lot of loads.

Certainly there are some whose loads can be trusted. But I have also seen some wild, stupid and dangerous stuff put on this board over the years. Now, the question is, does the new guy who comes here with his load begging bowl in his hand, know who is who?

A 165 grain cast bullet load for the 30-30 going 1.8K fps is not exotic and esoteric data not found in standard reference material.

But, I have said my piece on the issue at hand, so there is no need to belabor the point. I know running to the internet asking for load data is the way the young, lazy and digital minded do things these days. I am not about to change that with my meager carping.

sthwestvictoria
10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Just why would a fellow ask for antidotal load data which comes from unknown, untested and unverified sources over lab pressure tested data available in a reputable published loading manual like the Lyman?
Great point. I wish people would include their source material when quoting loads.

badgeredd
10-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Great point. I wish people would include their source material when quoting loads.

I've stated several times that it isn't that dificult to work up a load for cast bullets from jacketed data. It seems that the concept has been wasted on many. Working up at load isn't hard...just a little time consuming. I have to agree with Char Gar on his comments. Many of the loads I use come from research and development along with using Quickload for a guide line when using powders that are not listed in the manuals. When used as a guide, Quickload can be invaluable but is not a replacement for the loading manuals and the powder manufacturer's online data, as well as good old homework. Sorry if I have offended some, but facts are facts.

Edd

10 Spot Terminator
10-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Once again I see the indelible issue of assumption by the elite few who assume that the OP would be so inept that he would not know to check recommended loads by others who may or may not be as competent as they against published load data sources . As tends to be the case with all of the various load data manuals they have a fond way of listing several powders and even eliminate or add some not published by others . I beg your forgiveness in asking for your personal insight as to your personal expieriences with specific powders and will endevor to be more like you in the future .

10 Spot

badgeredd
10-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Once again I see the indelible issue of assumption by the elite few who assume that the OP would be so inept that he would not know to check recommended loads by others who may or may not be as competent as they against published load data sources . As tends to be the case with all of the various load data manuals they have a fond way of listing several powders and even eliminate or add some not published by others . I beg your forgiveness in asking for your personal insight as to your personal expieriences with specific powders and will endevor to be more like you in the future .

10 Spot

I don't mean to offend and perhaps I misunderstood the question. I hesitate to give a load out, because as has been mentioned before in other threads, my load in my gun may not be safe in your gun. I also meant to point you toward Castpics at the bottom of the page, but was interrupted while I was typing and forgot. There should be some helpful loads and data there. 3031 has given me the best accuracy at real velocities in the 30-30...a good friend prefers H322.

Perhaps the link below will help.

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?t=CastData&z_Cartridge=LIKE&x_Cartridge=30-30&v_Cartridge=AND&w_Cartridge=LIKE&y_Cartridge=&z_BulletWt=%3D&x_BulletWt=&z_Bullet=LIKE&x_Bullet=&v_Bullet=AND&w_Bullet=%3D&y_Bullet=&z_Powder=LIKE&x_Powder=&v_Powder=AND&w_Powder=%3D&y_Powder=&Submit=Search+%28*%29

Edd

Digital Dan
10-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Poppycock; horse feathers, bush hogs, etc.

Powder and lead recipes aren't that hard to cipher. Little of one, more or less of the other and there you have it. Don't trust me, I don't trust you, and blind faith in load manuals reminds me of Dad's advice: "When your number is up, your number is up. Do stupid stuff and you get a low number."

10 Spot Terminator
10-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Poppycock; horse feathers, bush hogs, etc.

Powder and lead recipes aren't that hard to cipher. Little of one, more or less of the other and there you have it. Don't trust me, I don't trust you, and blind faith in load manuals reminds me of Dad's advice: "When your number is up, your number is up. Do stupid stuff and you get a low number."

LOL !!!

I couldnt agree more ! They say you cant fix stupid ,,,,, but occasionaly you can head it off before it causes any damage .

blackthorn
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Well---you CAN fix stupid, but ----the cure is terminal!!

Pilgrim
10-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Belated welcome to the site. Re: using "internet" loading data issue - if you have any common sense at all, you have at least one (1) loading manual at hand. With the info from that single manual and use of a powder burn rate chart, it isn't too difficult to spot "insane/ridiculously overloaded" data provided by others. Nobody in their right mind uses max. loads right from scratch without some work up. Nobody uses pistol/shotshell powders without serious consideration beforehand because the consequences of "a little too much" of these powders will give you serious consequences not normally sought by reloaders. I understand chargars thoughts and do not cast aspersions at his comments. If he didn't care he wouldn't say anything. The fact he cares is good enuf reason to accept his comment(s) as is, consider them in your personal context and move on. He's not a troll. Very few on this site are and those few are found out and isolated PDQ. FWIW...Pilgrim

nanuk
10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
I like to see people loads AND experiences

we all know, well those who have researched several manuals, that even refering to a manual can be fraught with danger.

one needs to consult many to get an understanding.

so, asking here, getting responses like SWVic's that include chrono'd data is GREAT compared to manuals, which often don't give the rifle etc....

BOTH resources, CastBoolits AND manuals are very valuable.

we all know OUR guns are a law unto themselves, so must approach max loads with caution, but if one looks at PACO's max loads, all the manual's max loads would look like starting loads.

Compare Compare Compare and use caution and common sense.

geargnasher
10-29-2013, 11:13 PM
LOL !!!

I couldnt agree more ! They say you cant fix stupid ,,,,, but occasionaly you can head it off before it causes any damage .

The man who is officially credited with that statement is one of my closest personal friends (see sig line).

I prefer anything from Bullseye to 4350 in my SS .30-30s. No kidding, haven't found a powder yet that either of them didn't like. Lately my Savage 219 has taken a liking to near top-end book loads of Leverevolution powder under the Mihec .30 Sil boolit. My standby is a near-jacketed-maximum charge grains of WW748 or if it's going to be shot in the cold, 3031 (both with 165-175-grain boolits). For plinkers any of the pistol powders do fine when worked up just to the point they burn cleanly.

Gear

Wolfer
10-29-2013, 11:35 PM
The Lyman cast manual isn't much good to me. My alloy is a lot softer than Mikes. I shoot 2400 in all my cast rifles. The Lyman book doesn't even list 2400 in most of the calibers I shoot.

In my 30-30 with 311-041 HP I started with 15 gr of 2400 and went up until accuracy started falling off. Settled on 17 grs for just under 1700 fps. Very accurate, very pleasnt to shoot. I've only shot five critters so far ( deer and coyotes ) and performance is superb.

I could go to a slower powder or a harder alloy and go a little faster but I haven't seen the need.

rintinglen
10-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm late to the party, but my Springfield 325 likes 32.0 grains of WW-748 with a 311-041 boolit no larger than .310. The neck is a little on the tight side in my gun, so I use a .310 sizer that gives me .309+ boolits.