PDA

View Full Version : Salute that went around the world

Wal'
10-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Haven't found any posts on this soldier, if not, he deserves a mention.

If it has been posted, mods, please delete this one

It’s being called the salute that was seen around the world.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131015/NEWS/310150099/Cincinnati-soldier-delivers-salute-seen-around-world-?nclick_check=1

US soldier Josh Hargis had just undergone surgery for wounds inflicted in a suicide bomb attack that killed four men from his Army Ranger Battalion in Afghanistan on October 6, USA Today reports.

When his commanding officer and colleagues came to present him with a Purple Heart he was still hooked up to a breathing tube, his eyes were closed and everybody believed he was unconscious.

But as the presentation began, without opening his eyes, Hargis raised his heavily bandaged right hand to salute – in keeping with military protocol.

His colleagues snapped a photo of the touching moment and sent the image to his wife Taylor Hargis.

"Josh had just come out of surgery," Mrs Hargis told Cincinatti.com.

“Everyone in the room, probably about 50 people, figured he was unconscious.”

Mrs Hargis said a doctor tried to restrain Cpl. Hargis from moving but couldn't stop the soldier from saluting.

“He had no idea how strong and driven my husband is,” she said.

Mrs Hargis said her husband’s commanding officer phoned her and told her the salute left everyone in the room in tears.

“I would have cried too,” she said.

The photo made headlines around the US and has since gone viral online.

The attack in Kandahar Province left 12 other US soldiers from the 3rd Army Ranger Battalion wounded.

Mrs Hargis said she has since spoken to her husband on the phone, saying he sounded well and is being transferred to a hospital in Texas.

The US is planning to pull out all troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

Author: Alys Francis. Approving editor: Matthew Henry.
Sources: USA Today, Cincinatti.com.

wch
10-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Rangers Lead The Way.....HUAH!

jeepyj
10-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I had seen this story a couple days ago, It is very moving.
Jeepyj

missionary5155
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Good morning
With men like this there is only one way to conquer thier nation.. by the traitors from within.
Mike in Peru

Garyshome
10-18-2013, 08:29 AM
There are still some Patriots left!

jmort
10-18-2013, 09:57 AM
It is great heroic men and stories like this that help to keep me going and give me earthly hope that we can make it. What a colossal stud.

w5pv
10-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Don't tell "o" it went around the world he will be hunting a photo op with this American Hero.

DCP
10-18-2013, 10:18 AM
A true American Hero.

Recluse
10-18-2013, 10:20 AM
This Ranger deserves a better commander-in-chief rather than the traitorous *** he has at present.

:coffee:

DCP
10-18-2013, 10:41 AM
This Ranger deserves a better commander-in-chief rather than the traitorous *** he has at present.

:coffee:
:goodpost:

Big Boomer
10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Recluse: You are dead on target! Big Boomer

Garyshome
10-19-2013, 08:12 AM
That Ranger deserves BETTER Citizens to defend.

snuffy
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
He lost both legs in that explosion. He's got a long row to hoe in his recovery.

If that scumbag Obomination goes near him, he will contaminate the scene.

nicholst55
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I had to pause while reading that article. Everything got blurry, and my eyes were leaking. It makes me want to vomit to think that our "leaders" in Washington regard young men and women like this Ranger as 'expendable' or as 'little people' who can be ignored and marginalized.

Rangers truly lead the way. Hooah!