PDA

View Full Version : Steyr LP50

Dave C.
10-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Anyone here shoot a Steyr LP50?

Dave C.

Old Caster
10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
I have shot an LP5 for a long time and it is very similar to the LP50. It has caused me no trouble in about 11 years and the only complaint I have is that the trigger is not the best or at least certainly not as good as an LP10. When I try to adjust it according to the book, it doesn't change much so I finally left it alone. I never thought about taking it apart to see if I could smooth it up but I can't get it to break cleanly and always have a little creep that is what I would call scratchy. Overall I don't know of any other sustained fire pellet gun that comes even close to it though, so even though I don't think it is perfect, it is pretty good.

Dave C.
11-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Old Caster,

I credit the training I got shooting my LP50 using TQ-7 and TQ-6 targets at 25 feet and turning targets with helping me gain the last few points to acheve 2600+ scores. The only difference between a LP-5 and a LP-50 is the Lp-50 is a PCP powered and the LP-5 is CO2. It also is good at thining out "unwanted guest" at the bird feeder. I use an Ultra Dot sight on mine.

Dave C.

Old Caster
11-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Dave, My LP5 is also a pump up pistol. The air cylinders are marked 09 2002 so I guess I bought it shortly after that. It has never caused me any trouble nor has my pump. I was under the impression that one of the differences is that the LP50 has a place to put a scope and the LP 5 doesn't however I drilled for a weaver mount and use one on mine. It seems that there was another difference but I sure can't remember what it was and a brief look on the web didn't enlighten me. I used mine for practice a lot right after I got it but I always needed more practice on the long line because the short line just seems to come naturally for me. I used the same targets and with the right pellets mine is a superb tack driver and the interesting thing about it is that the most expensive pellets are not typically the best and are sometimes terrible. I made some wood grips for it and put it in a vise to test it at 33 feet and the groups will vary from a one hole ten shot group to about an inch and a half. I wish I would have had it when I shot in the AMU in the early 60's because it would have been a tremendous help. I never felt that our 22's were up to the task because ours were the early High Standards that had the sights on the slide and we were issued Remington Standard velocity target ammo that I feel was junk.