PDA

View Full Version : questions about casting for 43 spanish

rmatchell
10-16-2013, 10:43 PM
I recently posted in the single shot threads about a rifle i came accross at a local shop. They have it marked as a remington #5 in 43 spanish. Now I know nothing first hand about rolling blocks but i really like the idea of getting an old rilfe like this shooting again and maybe when my son gets a little older giving him a chance of shooting somthing different.

So from what I have been able to find so far I can make brass for this rifle, a pain im sure but somthing I would enjoy leaning to do. Also there are safe smokless loads(according to the gunsmith) fir this rifle.

Any informatiin would be great here. If this is something that will work without breaking the bank then I would love to jump into this with both feet,

badgeredd
10-17-2013, 09:43 AM
If it is a #5 then it isn't an original chambering. If it is an original 43 Spanish it would be a #1 action. Check it out here: http://www.rollingblockparts.com/.

As for it actually being a #5 action rebarreled for 43 Spanish, IMHO it could be a good rifle if it is done properly, better steel and stronger smokeless action. As for making the brass, I had to try it against advice from several members. I'm sure it can be done by the handloader BUT IMHO, it is a quite advanced project for the typical handloader. It CAN be done, but not easily. I purchased brass from both Bertram and Jamison and would suggest a fellow do the same. I haven't tried the reformed brass from Buffalo but would still think it would be preferable to trying to make it yourself.

Smokeless loads are fairly easy to make using 4198 and other powders but one has to maintain blackpowder pressures for safety sake. I bought a Lyman mold and lapped it out to fit my bore and use purish lead for the bullets. Once one has all of the ducks in line it is a FUN cartridge to shoot. Buckshot has probably done the most with posting on the old cartridges and loads. I'd suggest one ask him for assistance if he needed it. The brass is quite pricey but will last almost indefinitely loaded to BP pressures.

Edd

rmatchell
10-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the information, i need to study this more before i jump into it. I love the idea of getting these old rifles shooting again so i might try to make this happen.

Guesser
10-19-2013, 08:41 AM
I cast, load and shoot an original 1979 Argentine contract RB in 43 Spanish. I use Bertram cases simply because they are readily available, expensive now. Midway has them for 60+$ for 20. I have never loaded smokeless powder; I use black or American Pioneer BP substitute. I cast Lyman 439386 soft, it drops at 370 grains. I neck size only enough to hold the bullet and load 65 grains under a Walters Wads. Works well, for me.