PDA

View Full Version : In the hospital - darn it

theperfessor
10-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Been fighting a diabetic ulceration of my left heel since April or so. Things were going well, then the semester started and I just couldn't stay off my feet. Last week Wednesday I started feeling bad. Took a couple days off work, then went in Monday to see my wound care therapist and she didn't like the way things looked. Went it see my podiatrist Tuesday and within an hour she had me in the hospital.

Tests showed I have a couple of nasty bugs infecting my leg - I'm on two IV drips to get all the stuff in. Fever, nausea, all the fun symptoms of a systemic infection.

I'll get over this, but I may miss the rest of semester at work and have to ride a wheelchair for a while to keep weight off left leg/foot.

If you've ordered from me the I will eventually fill the order. I don't think anyone has paid me for goods not yet received. As soon as I am out of hospital I will try to teach nephew how to do some machine work. He has been interested in learning for a while.

Bummer, can't seem get a break here.

slim1836
10-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope all comes out ok and you have a speedy recovery.

Slim

waksupi
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I sure wish all my friends and relatives would stay out of the hospital.

Hamish
10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
(ahem) don't be tempted to try to reinvent the wheelchair, we know how you are,,,,,

Speedy recovery!

sparky45
10-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Take it easy with the Foot(feet) ulcers, they can be devastating. With the antibiotic resistant bugs we have out there any more, I.V. therapy is the way to treat the problem. Get well soon.
Sparky45

Czech_too
10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Your health comes first, the rest will take care of itself.
Get well and stay in touch.

Pb2au
10-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Take care, get healthy soon!
And yeah, no "modifying" the wheel chairs or hospital beds.

jcwit
10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Take care of that foot, and leave those Nurses alone. I to am diabetic and this is one of my fears.

I Pray for your swift recovery.

Mal Paso
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
(ahem) don't be tempted to try to reinvent the wheelchair, we know how you are,,,,,

Speedy recovery!

I'll bet he'll have a shop accessible chair designed before he gets out.

My last hip fracture, I got so antsy I had ordered a Caterpillar tractor for my wheelchair by the time I got out.

All the best professor!

smokeywolf
10-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Do what the Docs tell you. Stay off that foot. I too am familiar with this.

Oh, and don't leave the nurses alone.

smokeywolf

William Yanda
10-16-2013, 07:19 PM
" two IV drips to get all the stuff in. Fever, nausea, all the fun symptoms of a systemic infection."
The antibiotics they are probably giving you may decimate all the good flora in your digestive system-look out for unwanted side effects.

theperfessor
10-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Well, I can tell you a whole lot of hospital equipment needs to be redesigned. Especially for somebody that is 6'-5". Had MRI last night, several ultrasounds, every table, bed, etc I got to sit/lay on was too small.

Echo
10-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mate. Do what they say, and Press On...

btroj
10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Keep your chin up Perfessor. Stay off the feet when told, take care of that wound. Wounds like that are why diabetics get amputations.

If I was near by I would have you teach ME machine work. I am envious of people who can make things like you can.

Do what the doc tells you, take the drugs as directed.

Good luck, it is gonna be OK. And no, they won't allow casting in the hospital.

theperfessor
10-16-2013, 07:52 PM
As for "bothering" the nurses, my nurse today was Ryan and HE looks like a 25 yr old Yule Brenner(?). Great guy, but not my type!

John Allen
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Rest up and get better bud.

Wayne Smith
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
And remember that diabetes never gives us a break, there is never a vacation, and discipline is the only solution. Diabetes never allows us to relax and kick back without thinking of the consequences.

I will be praying for a quick and complete recovery from the foot ulceration.

gbrown
10-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for you. Above all else, take care of yourself!! I have lost loved ones to diabetes. Do what you gotta do to overcome this and follow the docs advice. My wife has diabetes and I am always on her about her shoes. Protect the extremities, vulnerable spots for diabetes. Hang tough and get thru it. I know you love your kids and would love to be with them, but you getting well is more important.

**oneshot**
10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Keith!!! Take it slow and easy. Have some fun and make him think he's you type, just avoid any sedatives if you do---- HA! HA!

TXGunNut
10-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Nasty stuff, nothing to trifle with. If Ryan starts looking good to you we'll form a posse and break you out of there, or at least get him transferred to another area so the nurses are chasing you instead of him. :bigsmyl2:

10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
May you have a speedy recovery, sir.

rush1886
10-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Prayers and Best Wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Talent such as yours does not belong in a hospital.

ph4570
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

David2011
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
More wishes for a speedy recovery, our friend!

David

Goatwhiskers
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Prayers from my house, perfessor. You've gotten a lot of good advice here, heed it and get well. GW

Lefty SRH
10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
God Speed Perfessor, heal quickly

AlaskanGuy
10-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I know how you are feeling now, and although i dont know ya, i know what you are facing.... Last time i had work done, it took me a year to recover. Soon, you will be home, and although you cant do much machine work, you will have a chance to cast again once you get home.... Ad wont have to worry about much else... You can have fun casting... That will keep ya occupied...and be blessed, you just get a mandatory vacation..... Have fun with it....

Alaskan

MtGun44
10-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear this Keith. Please take care of yourself.
I have a MIL near the end and a 30+ year close friend about to leave us, too,
I don't need any more friends to be having health issues.

Stay safe and get well soon.

Bill

Randy C
10-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Take care of your self and get better don't chance making it worse.

Bzcraig
10-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Nasty stuff, nothing to trifle with. If Ryan starts looking good to you we'll form a posse and break you out of there, or at least get him transferred to another area so the nurses are chasing you instead of him. :bigsmyl2:

No really, we will! Get well soon and praying for ya Keith!

dbosman
10-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Ask your doctor about sugar (in the wound) and maggot therapy.
Both work very for some diabetic infections. If the doctor doesn't know or pooh poohs the ideas, find a more up to date physician.

A non healing foot infection killed my first BIL.

xs11jack
10-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Every good wish to you sir, with prayers too.
Ole Jack

smoked turkey
10-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Keith I am sorry to hear of this issue you now have to deal with. As others have stated take good care of that foot and do what the doctor says. I will be praying for a quick and total recovery.

gmsharps
10-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Do what you need to do but get well.

gmsharps

Valley Forge
10-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Prayers from California Keith, get better soon.

MaryB
10-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Need one of these, get better soon infections are never fun. Have had a couple in the leg I had the DVT in

http://www.actiontrackchair.com/Content/Images/Albums/Main/1000129.jpg

texassako
10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Hope you get better soon. Those strong antibiotics can mess you up pretty bad. My wife has been on some strong ones for about a year now.

Recluse
10-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Keith,

BruceB, you may recall, went through some significant challenges with infections resultant of diabetes. He'd probably be more than happy to share some advice and solutions he's discovered along the way.

Wheelchairs suck, and for a variety of reasons. They make those "knee caddies" that look like small scooters with elevated platforms. It allows you to take all weight off of the afflicted lower leg, but you still have to walk and maneuver and otherwise exert physical effort to remain mobile.

One of the biggest problems a diabetic can encounter, as I understand, is that too much sedentary non-activity can be every bit as harmful as being too active and placing too much stress on certain weight-bearing areas of the body. I can't really think of a good analogy or metaphorical comparison with mettallurgy or being a machinist, but you get the idea. :)

Again, praying for you and please just do what the docs tell you.

:coffee:

Sensai
10-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery perfessor. Take care of yourself.

country gent
10-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Perfessor How far is Evansville Indianna from To;edo Ohio? WHen you get out I would be willig to come over and Help you get caught up. Im meedically retired now and 35+ years journey man Tool and Die Maker. Im actually out west of toldeo. I will only need brought up to speed on your equipment as its always a little diffrent, from machine to machine. Lust thought Id offer. Country Gent

theperfessor
10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Recluse, you get your sorry Texas butt healed up also. I worry about you my friend.

CG, thanks for offer, my nephew is anxious for me to teach him how to run my equipment.

Thanks all for good wishes.

hardware
10-17-2013, 12:04 PM
If you weren't so far down the state I'd see if I couldn't get Badwater to visit, maybe bring some of his chili. Unfortunately his truck's being more temperamental than it usually is lately.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Keith,
I too have lost toes and other foot portions due to diabetic infections. Listen to Recluse as well though,
sitting around on your duff will lead to another new bag of difficulty,

358wcf
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Keith-
The Lord isn't ready for you just yet, and we have great need for you here, Buddy- Get Well and Get Over this- I've been down that same road, even without the diabetes, and it cost me many months of work, but follow the Doc's orders, or pay the price! They have your best interest in mind, so do it, Buddy- we need you back amongst us again!!!
Chuck
358wcf

gray wolf
10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Your health comes first, the rest will take care of itself.

If Ryan starts looking good to you we'll form a posse and break you out of there, or at least get him transferred to another area so the nurses are chasing you instead of him.
What they said, And another prayer for you.
Don't do to much now, just take notes and do the work latter.

Sam

aya
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM

theperfessor
10-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Talked to heart Dr today. Ultrasound showed some blood flow problems in left leg. Tomorrow afternoon they are going to run a camera thingie into right groin artery and then down left leg. Said they can put in stents if needed at same time. Also have to take aspirin every day for rest of life - but that's no problem.

Will also be talking to Social Services later about getting a (large) wheelchair. May be sitting in it when they cut me loose. Soon as I get it I'll be able to start figuring out where to mount the (fake) twin fifties. Figure I can be riding a chair and still get a little respect on campus!

shdwlkr
10-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Professor
if you are in a wheel chair for a time think of twin electric motors driving 3-4 inch wide wheels on the back. When in the military we did one for a handicap individual in the town we were located. Only problem was the town cop had to arrest him for doing 40 mph down the sidewalk. So we had to put some less powerful electric motors on the chair but he still was able to move around 30mph if he pushed the motors. Ha ha interesting what can be done if needed.
As too the twin 50's way not have them functional? Yea I know the campus might not see the humor but I bet alot of your students might.

Get better soon some of you guys are interesting to read what your up.

Me I am getting over bronchitis and at my age it took a lot of me and later this month I hope to go elk hunting, need meat that isn't full of chemicals.

km101
10-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Darn, I'm gone for a few days and everything goes to the dogs! So sorry to hear about your troubles my friend! Take care of yourself and continue to let us know how things are going.

Prayers for your recovery!

randyrat
10-18-2013, 01:01 PM
I will pray for you along with others. May you have a fast recovery and you may want to think about a couple of M249s lighter on the chair than the old 50s

firefly1957
10-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Prayers for your full recovery , I have been hearing good things about hyperbaric oxygen chambers for those type of infections have they talked about it or even know about it?

snuffy
10-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Prayers for your full recovery , I have been hearing good things about hyperbaric oxygen chambers for those type of infections have they talked about it or even know about it?

Hyperbaric oxygen worked well for me when trying to heal damage to my bladder and rectum caused by radiation treatment for prostate cancer. I too am a type 2 diabetic, so healing takes longer. I had 30 treatments. 60 minutes in the tube 5 days a week. Effects are cumulative, they happen slow and keep happening long after the treatments are over. Not fun either, you're basically trapped and under a lot of pressure, 2.5 atmospheres.

Kieth, GET BETTER that's an order! Heh-heh just a bit of humor, sometimes ya just have to laugh at it! I wish there were something we could do to cheer you up. This weather has me depressed, frost will take my garden down for the count tomorrow night. That means a marathon canning session to use up the last of the peppers.

The Lyman die nut wrench is working great, the nose punches as well, and the nose first sizer die holder is working great. Your machining is first class, thanks again for the innovations.

theperfessor
10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Had an angiogram today. Found out that I have a blocked vein in left leg. They are going to do a graft Monday, looks like soonest I will be out is next Friday. Oh s**t, but not like I have much choice, so let's get 'er done.

I sure miss my cats, they're my snuggle buddies.

Now I'm thinking of a single thirty with a grenade launcher...

Lights
10-18-2013, 10:32 PM
May God bless you with a speedy recovery Keith. I will be praying for you buddy.

sleeper1428
10-19-2013, 03:12 AM
My best wishes to you, Keith. You've obviously got a good attitude and that's a real asset when it comes to your post-op recovery and rehab. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

sleeper1428

theperfessor
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Took chemical stress test this morning and had ultrasound on carotid arteries. Med techs weren't allowed to tell me much about ultrasound results but I had carotids checked three months ago before neck surgery and they were fine then.

Doctor who did stress test said my EKG was same throughout, which he said was good, my heart still makes and gets all the right signals even when stressed, makes me think the heart arteries are probably OK, but won't know until until they review results of dye test pre- and post-stress.

Femoral artery bypass scheduled for 8 am tomorrow morning. Fine with me, no sense waiting, sooner I get repaired the sooner I can get out of this human body and fender shop. Maybe by end of next week.

jcwit
10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Sounds as if they are taking good care of you.

MtGun44
10-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Best wishes, Keith. Sounds like they got you pretty well diagnosed. Thank goodness that these
are pretty repairable these days.

Bill

theperfessor
10-20-2013, 08:13 AM
It's a little after 7am local, they'll be coming up for me in a few minutes. Blood sugar is good, I'm first on the surgeons list so once I get to surgery it ought to be a fairly rapid affair. Sure would be nice to have a cup of coffee, but that's going to be my recovery treat.

Looking forward to the Broncos/Colts game tonight. We Hoosiers love our Colts, but a whole lot of us love P Manning, so it will be interesting.

RED333
10-20-2013, 08:17 AM
God's speed Bro

sleeper1428
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear that you're first on the morning's schedule. Assuming they haven't been up all night attending to the losers of Saturday night's shootout at the local 'knife and gun club' (drug related gangs) who came in during the night for patching up, that means that both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist will be fresh and well rested. I always felt sorry for the patients who were scheduled for late in the afternoon or early evening because even though most surgeons will never admit it, they are not gods and they do get tired just like the rest of us. Same holds true for the anesthesiologist (my former career before retirement) who's job it is to keep you alive and stable throughout your procedure and then to bring you back with minimal disruption to your normal bodily functioning upon completion of surgery. Always best to be first on the schedule so that everyone is at the top of their game.

sleeper1428

Artful
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Hoping your feeling better soon

theperfessor
10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm in the ICU recovery room right now, it about 3:30 pm local. Nice long scar on inside of left thigh. Doctor considers operation successful, really good blood flow down to foot now. Nurse can feel pulse in my foot with finger, couldn't even find it before with ultrasound - heck of a difference.

Still talking discharge Friday.

Found several folks here that are shooters, hunters, and reloaders. I'm talking bullet casting to them, expect to have a few converts made by the time I'm out of here.

Still a little foggy, the general is cleared out, spinal block starting to wear off now. I itch in places I can't even feel, if that makes any sense.

Just finished small serving of hospital steak - Jello! I never eat it otherwise anywhere else.

Ramble off.

jcwit
10-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Sounding good.

waynem34
10-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Hell Yeah.Bless You.Many returns.

smokeywolf
10-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Great to hear all came off as planned. Sounds like you have good Docs. Hope the nurses have gotten prettier (and more female)

smokeywolf

Lights
10-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Great to hear your surgery went good Keith.

MtGun44
10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Fantastic news. Sounds like a massive improvement in blood flow. I hope this solves
the foot problems once and for all.

Take care of yourself, sir.

Bill

bhn22
10-20-2013, 10:03 PM
It's really good to hear you're doing so much better Keith. In the words of the "now" generation, hospitals suck! It's great to see that you're not letting it get you down.

waynem34
10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Lots of rest.

grumman581
10-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Hope you get better soon. Those strong antibiotics can mess you up pretty bad. My wife has been on some strong ones for about a year now.

Last time I was in the hospital, the antibiotics raised my blood pressure to a bit over 200 on the systolic side (don't remember the diastolic, but it was pretty high also). So, they were giving my an IV of antibiotics, followed by another IV of something to lower the blood pressure, followed by an IV to reduce nausea, followed periodically by an IV of morphine for pain.

snuffy
10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Kieth, sounds like a fine solution to your heal infection problem. Lack of blood flow, problems with healing of the infection. More blood flow will get the antibiotics to the infection so they can kick some bacterial butts. It shouldn't take long to get that infection under control.

Continued prayer for a complete recovery!

MaryB
10-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Hospital jello gag, I was in for 5 days when I had a clot in my left leg, on the second day I said no jello in any way shape or form or I will barf.

grumman581
10-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Hospital jello gag, I was in for 5 days when I had a clot in my left leg, on the second day I said no jello in any way shape or form or I will barf.

After 2 weeks without ANY food (not even a glucose IV), even Jello tasted good.

Olevern
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Praying for a full recovery, Keith.
Last time I was in I had my wife sneak me in a cheese-steak hoagie; got dirty looks from the nurses, ate it anyway. Got nauseous, tasted great. was worth it.

gray wolf
10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I am so glad things are looking up for you, prayers are in a continuous mode.

Sam

tward
10-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Keith, sorry about your troubles but glad you are on the mend! You are in my prayers, Tim

gbrown
10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Great news! Hope to hear about a speedy recovery, soon. Don't be chasing the nurses on that leg! Give it a rest and get well. Most of all, follow their orders. My buddy didn't--cost him both legs and his life. Many people want/need you around a little longer with your knowledge and ability/skills.

bhn22
10-21-2013, 08:07 PM
I don't suppose the Docs will let you bring a pot and a couple of molds in so you can catch up on a few things would they?

John Allen
10-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Good Luck Perfessor I hope you recover soon. Being cooped up sucks.

TXGunNut
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear things went well, now you can focus on recovery.

Lance Boyle
10-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Been fighting a diabetic ulceration of my left heel since April or so. Things were going well, then the semester started and I just couldn't stay off my feet. Last week Wednesday I started feeling bad. Took a couple days off work, then went in Monday to see my wound care therapist and she didn't like the way things looked. Went it see my podiatrist Tuesday and within an hour she had me in the hospital.

Tests showed I have a couple of nasty bugs infecting my leg - I'm on two IV drips to get all the stuff in. Fever, nausea, all the fun symptoms of a systemic infection.

I'll get over this, but I may miss the rest of semester at work and have to ride a wheelchair for a while to keep weight off left leg/foot.

If you've ordered from me the I will eventually fill the order. I don't think anyone has paid me for goods not yet received. As soon as I am out of hospital I will try to teach nephew how to do some machine work. He has been interested in learning for a while.

Bummer, can't seem get a break here.

Well please don't break anything either. [grin]

I hope you're healing well now.

RED333
10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Slow down, let things heal as they should.
Be Safe and take case Bro.

alrighty
10-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery Keith.

snuffy
10-24-2013, 02:24 PM
And-then,,and-then--along came Jones. Kieth, how about an update? Ya outa the horspistal yet? Prayers continuing.;)

theperfessor
10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
I finally wore 'em down and they let me out of hospital this afternoon. Restricted to house for several weeks, will have a visiting Nurse come to house three days/week to change bandages and service wound vacuum machine. That's a neat device, it creates a vacuum to suck drainage out of wounds. It's a rental device, but then once you are better what use would you have for it anyway?

No wheelchair, but I did buy a walker. It wasn't much more an renting one and I can see where it might come in handy later for my use or as loaner to friends when they might need it short term.

I'm going to go over list of meds, the only thing I took before hospitalization was insulin, now they have me on high blood pressure meds and some crappy cholesterol drug. Didn't have high blood pressure before, I'm going to take it until I get healthy and then get off it. I have always had high good cholesterol and low bad cholesterol; I asked and they didn't even do a cholesterol check yet they put me on these meds, when I asked why they were giving them to me I was told they always give that to people w/diabetes - wrong! I won't take any d**n pills I don't need, and they better show me numbers on paper from a test before I gobble them down.

I refused to take them I the hospital which didn't make them happy but they wouldn't order a test so screw 'em.

But it is sweet to be home, plan to watch NFL game tonight, play with cats, and just settle in.

I doubt I will be able to get in shop and do anything for a month or longer, and I'm not going to rush it and have a relapse, but now that I have really good blood flow to foot I will heal so fast I plan to scare the surgeons. It was that way after neck surgery - a follow up at four weeks confused the surgeon, he thought I was at the seven-eight week mark and started to chew me out for waiting so long to see him, then checked date of surgery and just shook his head and said I was doing fine...

Thanks to all for good wishes and prayers.

RED333
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Good to hear you are in good spirits!
Meds, what a joke, they get a kick back on Every pill they can get you to take.
If you dont have high BP, then do not take it.
Same as the cholesterol meds.

Beau Cassidy
10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Glad you are doing well but please don't put yourself above others as far as your health goes. Diabetics pose certain problems such as circulation, sensation, cardiovascular, renal, well.... you get the idea. Oftentimes those problems aren't found until it is too late. You are likely being put on those medicines to keep you healthy. Don't knock what the docs do and I promise they won't pass judgement on your occupation. Believe it or not, they have taken care of a diabetic or two.

MaryB
10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Follow whatever PT they want you on, on the meds I would ask for tests. Some of those cholesterol meds can kill you.

jcwit
10-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Glad you are doing well but please don't put yourself above others as far as your health goes. Diabetics pose certain problems such as circulation, sensation, cardiovascular, renal, well.... you get the idea. Oftentimes those problems aren't found until it is too late. You are likely being put on those medicines to keep you healthy. Don't knock what the docs do and I promise they won't pass judgement on your occupation. Believe it or not, they have taken care of a diabetic or two.

Agreed, shortly I'm to go in for a minor removal of a growth on a very personal part of my anatomy. Only a local anesthetic is going to be used. Upon going over my medical profile because I'm diabetic I now need to go thru a complete blood profile and EKG, not because of expense as I'm, 100% covered by the VA Health System.

My advice? Listen to the Dr's.

jcwit
10-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Some of those cholesterol meds can kill you.

So can aspirin!

theperfessor
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Not dissing Drs at all, I just want to know why I'm taking ANY meds or drugs. I didn't gobble down drugs when I was a young hippie and I won't gobble them down now. Show me a reason to take something and I will probably take it but "we give them to everybody" isn't good enough.

I sat down last night and looked up every drug on a reliable website and noted what they were used for and what side effects and interactions they had. When I see Dr in a couple weeks I plan to ask him a lot of "why" questions and bring along list of drug related issues. I intend to be the most well informed patient he has ever met. I don't plan to substitute what I know for what he knows, but I do intend to have an intelligent conversation with him and let him know that I care about my own health and am taking an active role in preserving and enhancing it.

Home health care just left house, I have 9" scar down inside of left thigh w/about 100 staples. It is no longer red or inflamed and is healing nicely. Have a hole in the bottom of foot (heel) and another hole in outside under ankle bone. Cut a ping pong ball at the hemisphere line and you could put one half into hole in bottom and other half into hole in side. Until I can regrow a ping pong ball's worth of tissue I'm off work and won't go back, period.

The doctors that treated me are skillful, bright, talented guys and so far they have done a tremendous job, but if they screw up I will be the one that suffers. So I plan to be my own best friend and advocate and an active, not passive, patient.

skeettx
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Well said, if you pay the money you have better take the advise.

First post on your adventure, I have been on travel for about two month
and had lost track of things, seems to happen when you get older.

Pleased to hear you are doing well!
Mike

MtGun44
10-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Keith,

Your "educated patient" point is MANDATORY if you want the best health care. Most docs are pretty darned good, but you know what
the call the guy that graduates last in med school? Doctor! A friend teaches MD students and says the top 10% are freaking geniuses,
really incredibly good at it, the next 30% are impressive and a huge credit to the profession. The next 30% are safe but will not set
the world on fire with their skills - and smart enough to ask for help when they need it. The next 20% are marginal but will mostly wind up
in medical administration where they need to know "doctor stuff" to do the job properly, but will see few patients if any. The bottom
10% are scary as heck, some know they are marginal but some are convinced that they are geniuses and are not.

Discussion with the doc will give you a good idea which group he/she falls into. I have a medium good general doc, had a spectacular
orthopedist (managed a lot of fractures over my life, doc says :"too many high energy events") until he retired and now a really skilled
cardiologist and talented cardiology nurse-practitioner who happens to be married to my cardiologist.

Any good doc is happy to discuss this stuff and is knowledgable. If you find defensiveness and unwillingness to explain clearly or answer
questions, get a new doc. At minimum it is a serious bedside manner problem, worst case the doc may not be very good.

Best wishes, sir.

Bill

jcwit
10-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Keith,

Your "educated patient" point is MANDATORY if you want the best health care. Most docs are pretty darned good, but you know what
the call the guy that graduates last in med school? Doctor! A friend teaches MD students and says the top 10% are freaking geniuses,
really incredibly good at it, the next 30% are impressive and a huge credit to the profession. The next 30% are safe but will not set
the world on fire with their skills - and smart enough to ask for help when they need it. The next 20% are marginal but will mostly wind up
in medical administration where they need to know "doctor stuff" to do the job properly, but will see few patients if any. The bottom
10% are scary as heck, some know they are marginal but some are convinced that they are geniuses and are not.

Discussion with the doc will give you a good idea which group he/she falls into. I have a medium good general doc, had a spectacular
orthopedist (managed a lot of fractures over my life, doc says :"too many high energy events") until he retired and now a really skilled
cardiologist and talented cardiology nurse-practitioner who happens to be married to my cardiologist.

Any good doc is happy to discuss this stuff and is knowledgable. If you find defensiveness and unwillingness to explain clearly or answer
questions, get a new doc. At minimum it is a serious bedside manner problem, worst case the doc may not be very good.

Best wishes, sir.

Bill

Good advice, sounds like a plan.

Kull
10-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Glad your home Keith. Wish you well and the best of luck.

grumman581
10-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Well said, if you pay the money you have better take the advise.

My little visit of nearly a week ended up costing me over $12K even after BCBS paid what they considered their part. No surgery, just laying in bed getting IVs for a few days, with a few x-rays here and there. It's a lot more expensive to live than it is to die even if you were to have a top of the line funeral. :(

tward
10-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Keith, glad you are home again and doing well. Retired after 40+ as a medical technologist! I agree that being an informed patient is critical to good care. Keep on healing and don't push it! Something great about the healing power of home and a purring cat. Tim

DLCTEX
10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Keith, I don't know anyone who hasn't had numerous problems and complications taking cholesterol drugs, me and my 5 brothers included. I refuse to take them anymore.

bhn22
10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Follow whatever PT they want you on, on the meds I would ask for tests. Some of those cholesterol meds can kill you.

No kidding. I react poorly to all statins.

TXGunNut
10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Keith, I don't know anyone who hasn't had numerous problems and complications taking cholesterol drugs, me and my 5 brothers included. I refuse to take them anymore.

Thank you! After months of tests and getting most issues successfully resolved they decided after my last visit that my cholesteral was high and I needed to schedule another visit. Fat chance! If I want to ruin my liver I'll do it the old fashioned way-with a good single malt! Any drug dangerous enough to require frequent blood tests sounds like a way to line their pockets and endanger my health. I suppose I do need the BP meds I'm taking but it has cut my energy level to a fraction of before, I'm putting on weight and I tire very easily. Wow, two little pills a day made me act 20 years older! Only good docs I've ever had were all orthopods, these guys I've been seeing lately seem to be very talented at ordering tests and spending my money.

jcwit
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
No offense ment to the OP AKA the professor.

But, I go to the Dr. for his knowledge and ability for him to protect my health using modern medicine.

To me for me to self medicate and decide just what is best for me with my limited knowledge as to blood, urine, EKG, Stress Tests, X Rays, and whatever other tests I'm subjected to is just silly.

Sorta like being ones own lawyer with little knowledge of the legal system.

grumman581
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
No offense ment to the OP AKA the professor.

But, I go to the Dr. for his knowledge and ability for him to protect my health using modern medicine.

To me for me to self medicate and decide just what is best for me with my limited knowledge as to blood, urine, EKG, Stress Tests, X Rays, and whatever other tests I'm subjected to is just silly.

Sorta like being ones own lawyer with little knowledge of the legal system.

Just remember...

"What do they call the guy who graduated at the bottom of his class in medical school?"

jcwit
10-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Just remember...

"What do they call the guy who graduated at the bottom of his class in medical school?"

No idea what they call him. But I'll bet he's better at taking care of a person than the average dude coming out of the assembly line at the factory.

How bout the Dentist, Optometrist, or any one else in the medical field, some are at the top of the list, others are at the bottom of the list. This holds true with anyone coming out of college or any other endeavor, how bout your auto mechanic?

May hap you need to ask, What do you call the guy who graduated at the top of his class in med. school.

Mal Paso
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Ya, but no matter how good a doctor gets his business is still called a "Practice".

And it fits.

Welcome home Keith!

alamogunr
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Just remember...

May hap you need to ask, What do you call the guy who graduated at the top of his class in med. school.

I would call both of them "Doctor" since it would take more effort than I want to expend to discover which was which.:-P

MtGun44
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Like I said.

Bill

smokeywolf
10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Perfessor,

Not sure which BP med they prescribed, but the blood pressure meds are used not only to lower BP, but also inhibit post surgery clotting and thin the blood, which I conjecture will allow better flow and dispersal into the capillaries.

smokeywolf