PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Attacks Here -It s is crazy!

Ivantherussian03
11-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Wolves went crazy and attacked an Eskimo village near here. It was a pack of them. They killed dogs and pups, and scared people-ALOT! :???. Rumour is they are rabid, but who knows. Game is still pentiful here, may they are rabid.

Scrounger
11-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Not to make light of a serious and tragic situation, but I had to post this excerpt from a report I read:

Rabies is spread through saliva and attacks the nervous system. The only way to determine if an animal is rabid is to cut off the head and test it. It is usually universally fatal in animals and humans.

Whether the reporter or the state official wrote that, that paragraph construction gets your attention.

hivoltfl
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I watched a training film on rabies in the early 70's, six year old boy's death from it, truly a horrible disease, cant remember all the stages (six I think not sure now though) in Oklahoma where I lived for 35 years 99% of skunks had been exposed to it, thats not to say they were infected or carriers just that they had been around an animal that had it.

I personally think the reintroduction of the wolf is a terrible mistake, our forefathers worked hard to erradicate them, it appears that history will have to repeat itself.

Rick

Ivantherussian03
11-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Wolves are part of the landscape here. They were never erradicated here. They tend not to bother people, because they (ussually) end up at the wrong end of bullet. They realize people are bad news for them and head in the other direction fffast.

I am going to be taking an heavier gun with with me in my travels this winter--Just in case, but I would love to see them.:roll:

freedom475
11-04-2007, 10:56 PM
The overpopulation desease "Mange" has gotten into the wolves in MT. It basically causes the infected animal to lose all its hair and simply die of exposure or freeze to death in most cases. It is not really a desease but a little "mite" that gets under the skin.
Now in an effort to control the spread of this mite in its wolf population the fish and game has been shooting and trapping these infected animals from choppers.

It is really sad that as people we are forced to stand by and watch our recources be desimated by this animal and now nature's hands are also being tied. :confused:
Do to the hard work and MONEY from hunters and hunters alone our game herds especially elk have been brought back from the brink. Now because of a few missguided,lied to individuals and agencies we have to watch as that recource falls once again to unhuntable numbers.....SAD!

Nueces
11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I've seen just one wolf and for only an instant. I was sightseeing in Denali National Park, standing in a parking lot, when I glanced up a steep slope and just caught sight of a massive stone white wolf as he turned from watching us and stepped into the trees. Still gives me shivers. What a magnificent animal.

I'm sure I'd have a more 'personal' opinion of wolves after losing pets or livestock to them. What a sight, though.

Mark

MT Gianni
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Not to make light of a serious and tragic situation, but I had to post this excerpt from a report I read:

Rabies is spread through saliva and attacks the nervous system. The only way to determine if an animal is rabid is to cut off the head and test it. It is usually universally fatal in animals and humans.

Whether the reporter or the state official wrote that, that paragraph construction gets your attention.

I think the reporter left out the words "if untreated". There is a series of shots, both painful and expensive for those bitten. Gianni

9.3X62AL
11-05-2007, 01:16 PM
No dealings with wolves at all, excepting a pet wolf owned by a former sis-in-law. Nice critter, but the teeth were IMPRESSIVE.

I've seen the havoc that coyotes can wreak in petstock and livestock populations, wolves are likely little more than coyotes on steroids. PBS had a show on last night about wolf packs in Yellowstone, and mention was made about how parvo and other virus types can decimate wolf populations. This featured pack worked the wintering elk pretty hard, it appeared. Another pack worked BISON--tough way to make a living, and I imagine the tree-huggers who wanted the wolves re-intro'd were a little disappointed to see their pet endangered species whacking another endangered species. Gotta be careful what ya wish for, weed eaters.

Dale53
11-06-2007, 02:22 AM
I have a friend who lives in Colorado. Just a few years ago, the area was FULL of herds of deer. He made part of his living guiding deer hunters. The Cougar are protected and since that has happened the deer are in serious decline. I would much rather harvest deer with hunters than by Cougar. Protected Cougar are a serious threat to humans, also.

Of course, the tree huggers that are responsible seldom wander in the Cougars path...

Dale53

Boz330
11-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a friend who lives in Colorado. Just a few years ago, the area was FULL of herds of deer. He made part of his living guiding deer hunters. The Cougar are protected and since that has happened the deer are in serious decline. I would much rather harvest deer with hunters than by Cougar. Protected Cougar are a serious threat to humans, also.

Of course, the tree huggers that are responsible seldom wander in the Cougars path...

Dale53

They have absolutely no problem pulling down a mature cow elk. A human wouldn't present much problem. I guided in lion country but never saw one, but they are hunted there so they avoided humans like the plague. Any predators like that, that are used to people can be very dangerous. We would find Mule deer that were lion kills all the time. They tended to pick on the bucks because they were more solitary animals especially the bigger bucks. I have seen some that would go into the record books if taken by a hunter, what a waste.
The wolf was being introduced there shortly before I quit guiding, I imagine that Mule deer are getting pretty scarce. There wasn't an overabundance then. But there are plenty of cattle to feed on so they won't starve after the deer are gone:mad:

Bob

Bullshop
11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I guess once they get the balance they want there will be no need for hunters.
BIC/BS

Boz330
11-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I guess once they get the balance they want there will be no need for hunters.
BIC/BS

That is surely what they would like. Fact is man is a predator as well and has instincts just like any other predator.
When I was growing up we never had a gun in the house and my dad never ever took me hunting. Neither of my grandfathers were hunters. Where did my desire to hunt come from if not instinct. I started with squirrels and rabbits when I was 14 with a borrowed gun and haven't looked back. And I don't kill for fun, I take what I need and use what I take. Well there are ground hogs and a few other vermin that I don't eat. Although fixed right whistle pigs ain't bad.

Bob

Slowpoke
11-07-2007, 12:36 AM
637 confirmed cases of rabies in animals so far this year in VA!

I believe it was last year that history was made by a girl that survived full blown rabies after being bit by a bat.

good luck

Ivantherussian03
11-08-2007, 11:38 PM
It is official a dead wolf tested positive for the disease. Infected animals are showing up all over.

Dale53
11-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Slowpoke;
Actually, a few rare individuals have survived Rabies. It is quite rare and not pleasant, but recovery has happened.

The odds are certainly against you. I have been bitten by dogs several times and had to 'sweat out" the waiting process (if the dog that bit you is alive two weeks after the bite, you are pretty safe).

Dale53

frank505
11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Our elk population in northwest Wyoming has a calf survival rate for the first year of 5%. So in a few years we will have no elk left. We told the feds all we knew and they listened to the weed eaters and ignored us. The feds continue to resist the state of Wyoming managing the wolves because we want to shoot the hell out of them and rid ourselves of a nasty problem. This past summer the feds killed 9 wolves on Carter mountain, probably with helo gunships and cruise missiles, because thay need to waste more money every year and then cry for more taxes to fund their idiocy. It is all about federal control of YOU and your lands. The solution is a rifle.

MtGun44
11-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Me and two friends paid some pretty big $ (for me, anyway) for a
'once in a lifetime' elk hunt this year in the area south of Yellowstone
and west of the Teton range. With two parks bordering it, it has
been producing excellent bulls for over 40 years. We hunted hard
on horseback for 6 days, covering up to 35 miles in the saddle
a few days in very rough country. We took horses places I didn't
know you could, up to the edges of both parks. We had up to
18" of snow in some areas. We saw mule deer, black bear, grizzly
bear and moose tracks in the snow. We saw near zero elk tracks,
and one hunter almost got a shot at a bull, and glimsed another
for about 3 seconds. I saw zero elk, and near zero elk sign.
We were in the saddle at sunup, hit camp after dark every day.

This is all due to the combination of the griz and wolves. Our
outfitters have made a part of their living off this hunting camp
for 40 years, one brother has guided the area for 26 yrs and the
younger brother 16 years. They are giving up, can't hunt what is
dead or driven out of the country. We lost a whole lot of money,
saw lots of beautiful country, got a advanced education in horseback
riding, but are really disappointed in the elk. One Yellowstone official
web site says the 'Yellowstone northern herd' - the opposite side of
the park, was about 9500 elk in 1995 and is now around 2200 elk.

If you don't see ANY tracks in 25-30 miles of riding in snow - the
animals are NOT there. In one area we could see miles into Teton
park high country covered in snow. No tracks, no elk seen with
spotting scope, looked for a long time. We DID see wolf tracks,
though. Ever see a dog track 4 1/2" in diameter?

I asked the outfitters if delisting the wolves to allow hunting would
help, he doubted it. He says that in 10 yrs he has seen many but
MAYBE could have put a bullet in ONE, they are gone in a flash. Maybe
if they come to calls like coyotes you could hunt them. We are losing
our elk, and they say the moose are also on the way out. I think
the anti-hunters had this in mind. No large elk herds, no hunting.

We rode beautiful country, and enjoyed the hard workout and saw
some unforgettable sights. A few pix.

Bill

frank505
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Mtgun44 please write a letter to your congressman explaining your hunt and especially the money spent. Then ask him/her why you have not pressured the feds to delist the damn things so we can try to manage whats left of OUR GAME. The animals belong to the people not some burrocrat or some idiot in another part of this country that has never seen an elk or maybe visited jellystone once. Don't like my attitude? Come spend some quality time and miles hiking our elk country and you will change your mind and everybody else you talk to. It makes me very sad and angry what the feds have done to us and our elk herds. I also rather doubt the claims of some that the elk herds were overpopulated. Oh lets not forget the claims, the wolf will reduce the bison herds in jellystone. I want to see a wolf take a bison calf and live. Bison mothers are very protective and fast and mean

NSP64
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
It is all about federal control of YOU and your lands. The solution is a rifle.
Ever since they won the war. The genie is out of the bottle. The civil war was not about slavery.

gregg
12-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Ever since they won the war. The genie is out of the bottle. The civil war was not about slavery.
Friends in Mt have told me Yellowstone wolf packs as far north as Billings and north of Helena Mt. once again we been had.

We have Cougar all over the midwest here. I have "heard storys" that GFP's have planted them under cover of night in many areas?? I have not idea if its true?

C1PNR
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
My favorite bumper sticker, spotted in a local bar, reads:

Canadian Wolves - Smoke a Pack a Day! :Fire::drinks:

What we now have running around Idaho are the Canadian variety. The wolves here in the old days were killed off a long time ago, so we get this alien species brought in by jerks!

My understanding is that the southern tier States have had the Mexican Grey Wolf substituted for the original breed.

Got to stop now - Rant Over!

Morgan Astorbilt
12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Back in 1946, I was six years old, and was badly bitten by a neighbor's Chow. He denied it and refused to have the dog tested. My parents took me to the Board of Health (this was in Brooklyn) every day for two weeks for a shot in the stomach. They say it's painful, it probably was, my mind blocked out the memory, and all I remember is the long waits in the waiting room, and the nurse bending over me pinching a handful of my stomach, and pointing a needle at it. No memory of the needle going in, or pain at all.

A few months ago, I was live-trapping a family of Raccoons that were getting pretty brazen around my property, and I had scratched my hand while washing some blood off the trap (the coon injured himself trying to get out). My mind knew that the trap was hosed well with soap, but my heart gave me a worrisome couple of months, which it can take to develop the disease. The shots I'd taken sixty years ago, were no longer effective. Hydrophobia is rampant in the raccoon population here in western North Carolina.
Morgan

Rafe Covington
12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Some people might be offended but in my opinion the only good wolf is a DEAD wolf. There was a reason we eradicated the wolf in the first place, sooner or later the wolves are goin to kill a child. When that happens I want to hear what the enviromental and animal wackos have to say.:drinks:

Scrounger
12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Some people might be offended but in my opinion the only good wolf is a DEAD wolf. There was a reason we eradicated the wolf in the first place, sooner or later the wolves are goin to kill a child. When that happens I want to hear what the enviromental and animal wackos have to say.:drinks:\

It's your fault for allowing the child to go where he shouldn't. Not what I'm saying, what they'll say.

jhalcott
12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
that's about what the wacko's said about the woman who was killed by a mountain lion in Kalifornia!

floodgate
12-16-2007, 12:50 AM
So - I don't look here for support for the Animal Voting Rights League???

Dale53
12-16-2007, 01:08 AM
My old Canadian Bear hunting guide just LOVED bears. Man, did he hate porcupines and wolves. He trapped in the winter (had a 55 mile trap line) and was treed by a wolf pack. Fortunately, he had his Savage lever action with him and worked on the pack, just a bit. He absolutely hated wolves. One of his bear hunting clients missed two wolves in one day. He privately told me he wasn't sure he would guide for the guy anymore. I mean, after all, a guy that missed TWO wolves...

When I was hunting bears, wolves were considered vermin by the Canadian Officials and were shot on sight. Pretty much the way I feel about them, also.

Dale53

Boz330
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
My old Canadian Bear hunting guide just LOVED bears. Man, did he hate porcupines and wolves. He trapped in the winter (had a 55 mile trap line) and was treed by a wolf pack. Fortunately, he had his Savage lever action with him and worked on the pack, just a bit. He absolutely hated wolves. One of his bear hunting clients missed two wolves in one day. He privately told me he wasn't sure he would guide for the guy anymore. I mean, after all, a guy that missed TWO wolves...

When I was hunting bears, wolves were considered vermin by the Canadian Officials and were shot on sight. Pretty much the way I feel about them, also.

Dale53

When I was guiding, hunters that missed seemed to be the order of the day. Never could understand why a guy that was paying $1200 to $1500 a day to hunt wouldn't spend a few bucks on practice ammo.
One guy in our camp several years back ran out of ammo on an antelope hunt. So one of the guides lent him a 250-3000 Savage 99 and he used all of that ammo up and had to quit hunting. This was a 2 day hunt. He wounded one Antelope buck in the leg, which was never recovered. To say the guide was a little disgusted was an understatement.
In the same camp was a ML elk hunter that dropped a 320 bull stone cold dead at 175 yds with a TC Encore. Said he had been practicing all summer for that hunt. The guy was a blue collar worker from WV and had been saving for that hunt for a long time and wanted it to count.
They had mexican gray wolves in NM and every year the F&G would send a warning along with our guide license not to shoot or let our hunters shoot any wolves or we would be drawn and quartered and then crusified. Then after that they would fine us into ruin. The ranchers were not happy to say the least. They already had problems from the lions. Bunny huggers run amuck.

Bob

Ivantherussian03
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
I have mixed feelings about killing wolves. I think/believe that all God's animals should have a place on the planet. I don't think humans should have the right to exterminate animals at will. I would love to see some wolves; it would be cool. But, they are dangerous animals. I spend alot time trapping small animals: fox, marten, and lynx. A dead wolf with a good hide is $400 bucks, that is alot.

I might get my chance this year, and I am ready too. Lots wolves in western Alaska right now.

Red River Rick
12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
I have mixed feelings about killing wolves. I think/believe that all God's animals should have a place on the planet.

Yes I agree totally, "Hanging On My Wall".

Twice in my life I've been up against timber wolves, and both times I came out on the better end. Both incidents happened while elk hunting, the first time I dropped one out of two and the second time I dropped two out of four. The rest took off in a real hurry.

If I committed some hidious crime while defending myself, well so be it. Ending up as wolf "SCAT" is not the way I want to leave this earth.

This fellow died of lead poisioning, he'll look really good hanging on my wall.

RRR

Single Shot
12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
So - I don't look here for support for the Animal Voting Rights League???

Hey man, Join P.E.T.A. like I did.

Positive Energy Transfer Achieved.

Coyotes are a big problem around here. But what makes them a problem is that they are being pushed out of their "normal" habitat by the loss of farming land going condo. We had a jogger attacked in one of the local parks last year.

Now because the deer herds are being pushed this way, the wolves are following.

All of Gods' creatures serve a purpose. Wolves make great fur coats. Coyotes make a great bow quiver. Just like the Indians used to make. Tie the pelt paws together, and stick the arrows down the throat.